The Official Work Pictures Thread

On My way to look at a job now, so excuse iPhone fingers.
What I'd really like is to go out with someone who could show this stuff in action.
Problem is here I'm isolated from other tree guys, which is good as there's not much competition, but bad from the trying out stuff pov.
Anyway didn't want to appear like I don't like the new hardware.

Yes, so tempted to explain it anyway… I guess I will resist. Going to do a video at some point in explaining the features of this climbing belt I am coming out with. That will be part of it.
I'm old-school too… Only rope walked one time but I am benefiting from this new stuff a lot with my younger climbers being well versed in everything.
Wraptor is the ultimate SRT.

2 quick little ash and elm stump grinds, while there is a break in the weather. New HO, not sure of future landscaping, wanted stumps just 2 or so inches down, HO clean up.

IMG_20160315_124347.jpg

What I'd really like is to go out with someone who could show this stuff in action.
Problem is here I'm isolated from other tree guys, which is good as there's not much competition, but bad from the trying out stuff pov.

Mick, would it be worth a thread asking questions?

Climbing a tree to set a pull-line is a waste of time, effort, and risk. Why leave the ground when you can throw or shoot a line?

I've learned mostly from reading and trying, asking, reading, trying, rinse and repeat.

You will save a lot of time, effort, and body-wear-and-tear. More profitable, less work.

You're lucky to be without much competition. I have at least half a dozen, maybe a dozen Certified Arborists in my 150,000 person market. Probably 100 tree companies, at least, plus side-work-ers.

Mick, do you ever make it back to the UK at any time, for Arb shows etc?

There is a great show coming up in Norfolk on the 24th and 25th April. It is called the cutters and climbers but it is bolted on to the East of England game fair. All things countryside, from gun dogs, shooting, tweeds, fly fishing, water trials etc. It is a great weekend and there will be plenty of demos etc.

I am seriously not expecting you to go over just for that, but on the off chance you are in the UK around that time.

Sorry mate, I may have missed it but where exactly were you from before you moved out to France?

Near Horsham, West Sussex.
You never know, maybe I can write it off as a business expense.
Sean, I know you're right about setting a line from the ground, I did have to top the biggest though.

One of my mates is originally from Crawley but now based in Haywards Heath. That is down that way.

I'm in South East London mate so not a million miles away. That is if I am not over here. Gives us a shout if you fancy it.

One of my mates is originally from Crawley but now based in Haywards Heath. That is down that way.

I'm in South East London mate so not a million miles away. That is if I am not over here. Gives us a shout if you fancy it.

Cheers, I'll bear it in mind, I'm usually back a few times a year anyway.

Peter, I'm really impressed at how your grinder project has turned out!!

Thanks! A little inspiration from the Treehouse and taking a chance that I can actually pull it off without looking foolish. It's making a little money for me, still needs work. I'm waiting for some shop customers and deliveries, I'm thinking I'll bend the handles a slight bit to give me better handling.

Most people in my area will have no problems ignoring a stump, I'm trying to illicit the frustration of mowing around and tripping over stumps. It's a tough sell.

We had a fun little job today.
A Sequoia.
They are scarce as hen's teeth around here, so it is the first one I've ever felled.
Good price, short day, happy client, and the apprentice got to run the MS880.
All in all a fine day.

I only wish that tree didn't have to come down.

Attachments

• P1040076.JPG
    P1040076.JPG
    206.5 KB · Views: 63
  • P1040094.JPG
    P1040094.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 62
  • P1040102.JPG
    P1040102.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 64
  • P1040105.JPG
    P1040105.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 63
  • P1040111.JPG
    P1040111.JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 63
  • P1040126.JPG
    P1040126.JPG
    189.4 KB · Views: 62
Because it is :lol:

This ain't the PNW, Willie, they don't grow that big here.

Actually, I was wondering about the same thing.
Probably the angle the picture was taken + wide angle lens, I don't know.
Looks more like a tall scrub than a Sequoia in that picture.

Seriously, I couldn't believe you broke out the big saw for that thing, then I saw the other pictures and wondered if that pic was a mistake!

Awesome pic Stig. Are you the bald guy?...with the beard.
If so, it's easier to picture you beating people up now. Except maybe without the smile.

Fell this chopped up piece of crap ash tree today. Left my family home sick today to help the guys for a while. They would have climbed this and made a project out of it... Only $250 no cleanup though. . Needed to face it with a low cut so that it would hopefully hold together.
Needed to crown reduce that cherry tree and then leave it intact.
Needed to leave the fence intact.
Showed the guys the job then went to the store and bought some supplies for my wife stuck home with the sick kids. Told them to put some pull lines in it. They set the lines too high. Those spars had terrible attachments. So I added another line lower and it was a trick to get them all to pull evenly.
My 066 with the 42 inch bar is in the shop getting the dogs Healycoiled. (Sp)
So to get the corners perfect I used the logging tape trick. Marked the corners cut the face with 32 inch bar. Was kind of easy because the whole center was gone.

fb6dd798bc7ee1b2ab7071ae5d57f3ff.jpg
9072b2af64157aaf0b712ecf04690f50.jpg
ded2e73a21090229c013d6ec70cfa498.jpg
07d340dbe1579d07df68ba1515ed9a7c.jpg
8290b388a5fae80cfa4d9bc3ab7be9be.jpg
93858e9d820acbba4299aec92a710d25.jpg
d2d40c6ed61b4131227ca31229676835.jpg

Pretensioned it, crippled it. Back cut neither open or closed during cripple.
Went out, pulled it over with the touch of my thumb. . Perfect shot.

d2cf18756d3167041d7e010d6307f38b.jpg
3bcca59947b67756cfe6d00bb3579c71.jpg

Last picture is for Jed.

44a16f94f9fb15e90044e1714df5e8a8.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg
Storm sewer replacement job for the county today. The excavating company built a road using steel plates to get the truck in. Took some back weight off and pulled it over Murphy style. What a muddy mess. A good day, even though it was way to long. ;)
This was the second job by the way. First was 18 cut-flop-chip spruce.

Great pics and cool looking jobs Stig, Aug and Rich.
Stig, killing that sequoia is pretty much akin to shooting a wolf, wouldn't you say?;)
Not a lot of hinge wood there August but you made it work, as usual.
Wreckorama Rich! What a mucky mess. Those mats are steel?

Back