The Official Work Pictures Thread

IMG_20141205_154917578_HDR[1].jpg IMG_20141205_160546134_HDR[1].jpg

Chunked down this big leaf maple spar to a shorter size, matching the other trunks in this wildlife snag. A huge maple at one time. Still reasonably solid. High TIP on the adjacent fir, shot in with the APTA.

Good work, Jake...looked like a perfect place for a crane.

Hopefully your crane guys always know how to set up properly....just found this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xz71eVreMDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice Jake!

Question: I don't do crane work, but some of the picks looked a bit unbalanced to me, like they could have been a bit smoother. Could they have been hooked differently to smooth things out? Was it the crane pulling to the side and the cut being a bit hard to snap?

Fiddler, crane work like anything takes practice to get smooth etc. this was his first crane job, I think he did a great job. Plus imo too much emphasis is put on totally balanced picks. As long as you are well within your chart who cares if it moves a bit?? Get er done!!

I wan't putting down Jake's work by any means, and hope no one thought I was. My thoughts were basically as one gets more used to doing it would things go a bit smoother? Or was the way it was done the way it had to be done.

As for the pieces moving, they all seemed to move away from the climber, which would be goal I'd think.:)

As I've said before, I can't make myself trust an operator enough to do what Jake did, and I have great respect for anyone who can.

IMO you have to do just like any other job/cut, weigh the risk with the production. I see a lot of videos online of big picks coming off completely balanced. Looks great but I just think shit that must have taken 1/2 hour to rig. I would rather take a smaller pick and allow leeway for a bit of movement. I cannt see it loading the crane bad anyhow, one end goes up as the other goes down so not much extra force on the crane.

As many of you know Im very much a "Git er done" kinda climber and strive for production not beauty so we can lower our prices to get more work but still make bank. So far big iron has paid off for me but you have to crank out the work to offset the costs..

This was a bit of a mess. Blue oak full of mistletoe and dead. Large limb had broken off one winter couple years back. Did what I could.
Some fodder. HO was happy...
20141206_111211ed.jpg 20141206_111300ed.jpg 20141206_115658ed.jpg 20141206_122226ed.jpg 20141206_113928ed.jpg 20141206_115615ed.jpg 20141206_135920ed.jpg 20141206_130533ed.jpg 20141206_122359ed.jpg 20141206_151711ed.jpg 20141206_151858ed.jpg

Lighting got a bit sketchy at the end of the day.. Hope these come out ok..

Nice Jake!

Question: I don't do crane work, but some of the picks looked a bit unbalanced to me, like they could have been a bit smoother. Could they have been hooked differently to smooth things out? Was it the crane pulling to the side and the cut being a bit hard to snap?

Hey Fiddler, no stress man your question is more than valid:thumbup:
Not only was it my first time working with trees and cranes but also the operators so we were both learning together. Rigging the top off the way it did was a result of the crane having too much pressure, and the last pick was the way I rigged it (from the stub) however I knew it would pick away from me as that's why I rigged it the way I did. I have enough cutting experience to know how to do it, it's just putting it into practise and getting the opportunity to do so.
All in all it was a awesome learning experience (for us both) and iv come away without getting hurt and knowing exactly what I will do differently next time.
RESULT;)

Stephen, I think you've done an awesome job considering what you had to work with. Did you cut out the branches with mistletoe or cut the mistletoe of the branches?

Both Jake.
If the branch seems viable with no targets, I will carve it out and cover the wound with sealer.
If the branch or top seems too far gone or there are targets, I will remove them behind the infestation.
Since this tree also needed some reduction, I took some of the limbs for spacing as well.
Have to try and balance this procedure as well since you don't want ot set off a bunch of epicormic growth as well.

Makes sense, will still epi up I guess though now the dormant buds are exposed to sunlight? Your just trying too reduce the amount. What wound sealer do you guys use, and have you seen positive or negative effects? Any pics of carving out the mistletoe? Presume a bowl shape in the branch to ensure all mistletoe is removed.

Back