The Official Work Pictures Thread

Blocks and pulleys for arborist work are very often way undersized, bend radius wise. Say, if the rope needs five time its diameter as a bend radius, all you can find is likely a three time. If one wants to do it right, he has to look on the logging blocks or the industrial rigging. But it's heavy, bulky, and sooo less shiny.

I like a nice ring & ultra sling combos for light and medium/light applications for ease of use and portability. My rigging ropes will last 5 years with the amount of work they do being a part timer.

I have Never wrecked a rope on a block. Nor has the bend radius been an issue.
I have also rigged right through a crab and never ruined a rope. You rig weights accourdingly. Too much weight on too tight a bend will damage or break a rope.
Rings can easily glaze a rope if run fast with large weights.
Easier to preload the line with a block as well.
But Deva knows all this

The block creates a tunnel for the line to run freely.

That is an ultra sling w pockets, not sure where I could add the steel rigging carabiner.
@Bodean, you'd actually put the biner in the ring itself, and run the rope in it. It would be a sort of odd way to take the whole "ring for the rope" idea out of the product...but you'd only do this for negative rigging on a standing stem when the pinch issue you described might be in play. The other uses of the rigging ring on it's ultra-sling would be available any other time.

This idea would also allow one to mount the rope mid-line if that need was pertinent in a particular setting.

Not something for every time you use the sling with ring product.

I like many others also much prefer a block, anyway.

@Bodean Try offsetting the porty a little more to the side of the spar. I remember Reg saying something about making sure the devices are out of plumb from each other. Of course if the piece bounces around it’s bound to rotate the ring a bit.
What’s funny is I had this happen with the safeblock (TRT) a long time ago and both David Driver and Lawrence Shultz told me it was impossible.

There's always the hope you can take a significant fall and live to tell the tale. There's a few here that have. Spiky fences somewhat diminish that hope :^D

Indeed. And even a fall from what might normally be a sub-fatal height, on to a fence like that could spell the be-all end.

It's a very low probability event...just something the self-preservation part of our brains might dwell on.

Back