The Official Work Pictures Thread

Are those wires insulated at all or are they bare?

In usa, many people would say that harsh topping like that will lead to root problems and possible tree failure in the future. What dost thou say?

In usa, many people would say that harsh topping like that will lead to root problems and possible tree failure in the future. What dost thou say?
These are fiber-optic wires. We have -4*S here and the ground has not thawed yet.

Last edited:
Bring in more redwoods make Denmark the next California! It is changing so why not shake things up in the future. Those trees have little trees and the cycle continues. I not trying to be funny or wise just saying why not morph with the change. Who knows in a thousand years you can be attributed to the saving of a species creating costal redwood forests in Denmark,

Good idea, but I think they are need the Pacific fog belt to grow real well.
Gerry will know.
I have seen nice specimens in New Zealand and Scotland, but how those will fare when they try to grow really big, no-one knows.

I think the Sequoia Giganteum is a better bet.
They grow like weeds wherever you plant them.
Second biggest tree in Denmark is a Sequoia ( I know because I climbed and measured it).

The oldest specimens are from late 1850s and they are still just going at it.
It would be fun to be around to see how big they can actually get, here.

Funny thing is, when the first seeds came over, no one really had any idea about how truly monstrous those trees get.
In the Swiss town of Chur, they planted 2 next to a church.
Now they are 1½ times as high as the church and are starting to tilt the foundations of it.

In the Scottish botanical garden of Benmore they decided to line the entrance to the park with some 100 trees ( If I remember correctly, might have been 50, been a few years).
Today you can't get a car in between the trees, they have grown so big.

So they had to make a new entrance to the park.

Not many cities in the USA were under siege by the Nazis in winter, forcing the inhabitants to use whatever they could for firewood.
So hardly any trees laft after the war.
In deference to the climate and in order to get something up fast, a lot of Poplars were planted.

Same thing in Dresden, where every tree was burned under the allied fire bombings.
Not a single one left from before 1945.

So Andreij is dealing with something that is a lot less than optional, as far as city trees go.

In Europe Poplar and willow has traditionally been topped and re-topped harshly, not as what I'd call a proper pollarding, but simply to keep them in check and get a supply of small stems for firewood, fencing material and a source for treen.

This was meant as a " you may not know the background for this" not as an excuse for poor trimming practice.

[QUOTE="Maximalist, post: 1091389, member: 2948" We have -4*S here and the ground has not thawed yet.
[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean root zone compaction, I meant that harsh topping deprives the roots of much of their food source produced in the leaves, which presumably could lead to root death and tree death or tree failure. Just curious what your thoughts are.

Good info from Stig re post war tree planting.

I wonder it there will be a post war tree care goodwill effort launched if Ukraine remains independent, of not. Arborists without Borders or something.

Back