The Official Work Pictures Thread

Nice job on that pin oak HBP... Love the spread on that old white.

Brian... it was a fun job... wish we could have had more pictures taken but I kept the ground hopping. Katy was doing pretty good with the lowering. We came in 2 hours under the bid. Got started on more stuff over there the next day. Also... one of the tenants ended up (along with a church member from next door ;) ) having people that needed wood haul it all off. So I only had to dump 5 yards of chips day one and 3 yard day two. Church took all the wood on a blue oak we pruned back off a structure. The "prunings" off one limb were at least 1/2 cord of fire wood and 3 yards of chips. They wanted the whole limb gone, but I talked them into keeping it and just work some clearance back to the main limb. I dropped the invoices off for the work we have done thus far and the head manager was ecstatic. LOVED how we did the tree and the education we are giving him.. Our professional manner, gear.. the whole enchilada. We may have landed a 5oo year old blue oak for the church on top of the other 2/3rd of a 300 year old. I should get some pictures ......
Went to the next town over to look at another complex they own.. Several trees need to R&R...
May have also landed the trailer park next door here in town as well.... LOVIN IT!

That is great to hear Stephen. It sounds like you are separating yourself from the rest, resulting in an increasing work load. I am happy to hear it man. :)

Good for ya Stephan!

I've really enjoyed reading how your building your business over the last few years. You've put in a lot of hard effort and and investment. You deserve any good things that come your way. :congrats:

I like to think that it was an adolescent tree when Moses Cleveland first surveyed Ohio. Pretty neat stuff if you're a nerd like me.

You need to go out and visit the Bristlecone pines near Bishop Ca. The oldest ones are 4500-4800 years old.
Small gnarly trees, but sooooo awe inspiring.
I mean, those trees were already old when Leif Eriksson discovered America.

Welp, y'all are always putting up cool work pics. So here's a few of mine.

I've never ported a Stihl 090 before, and didn't have any material to make a mandrel for the 66mm cylinder, so I made one from oak. :)

I finally managed to work with a tree for this thread. Ha

Wood moves around quickly. I think that I have a Chinese dial indicator somewhere too, but generally rock and roll with Mitutoyo.

The next day it was too small to work again. I have better indicators, including Intrepid, Brown & Sharp, and Compac, but I use that one for indicating the mandrel because it gets knocked about a lot there....

Homeowner gave me the ok to go up to top of pondo again (first time was inspection) and getting out busted branch over roof at about 90ft up...didnt have a groundie so rigged it myself with omni block 1.5 and 1/2 stable braid....got a few more big busted branches on the way down and some deadwood

One of the busted ugly's

After that job I had a pondo to deadwood and remove a large Madrone branch rubbing up aganst pondo and hanging a little low for there motorhome

you can see here were Madrone was rubbing pondo

Good pics, all.

Mastermind, uh, what is a mandrel, what are you doing in those pics? Sorry, I'm not real engiine savvy.

I'll take the liberty of answering. The mandrel is turned to fit the cylinder bore. That enables you to chuck the cylinder up in the lathe with centers, and turn down the base to lower the cylinder over the piston to reduce the volume of space in the combustion chamber to raise compression. 8)

Nice pics BOTS, way to get it done.

Mastermind, let us know how it turns out, looks like a fun project.

Stephen, thanks for the details. Looked like a really fun job. It's tough to find a good tree guy. Keep up the good pics. Nice work guys.

IMG_20140214_095336[1].jpg

Sorry, trying to attach from my phone plugged into my desktop.

Ash logs loaded onto the miller's flatbed (my neighbor through the woods, part of the farm family who sold off most of the farm in pieces, where I live. My pole barn is an old tractor shed from the dairy days.).

I gave Lennie the miller some firewood rounds from a beech removal when he was over yesterday. He showed me two turned bowls out of one blank. Cool. He's been taught to boil the bowl for a couple hours then cool overnight, then dry. A different technique for turners to weigh in on.

Cool, Jay. So you want to "cut off" some of the end of the cylinder to lower it, and you do the cutting off by turning it on a lathe, right?:|:

Back