The Official Work Pictures Thread

No sir...you are way out of the park....it's a young guy I used to work with some when he worked with a municipality. I told him $600 (back in February). He wheedled me down to five Bennies. I honestly think I could have done it in 3 hours when I bid it. The heat definitely slowed me down. I was cramping quite a bit by the time I finished. Very little rigging, actually. I was able to bomb nearly half of it.

Not the first time that's happened, actually. I need to start adding a clause to the bid that the bid is only good for so long. Between foliage and the different in temps, it easily added 50% to my time.

^100%

Spent a muggy misty day planting some kousa dogwoods. 3x 7-8 footers balled and burlaped, heavy pants and rocky root filled soil. Mini forks stirred it up, making for easy digging.

Nice change of pace, but planting is tons of work without an excavator. Satisfying to get the root flair at the right height though!
20210604_155059.jpg

^100%

Spent a muggy misty day planting some kousa dogwoods. 3x 7-8 footers balled and burlaped, heavy pants and rocky root filled soil. Mini forks stirred it up, making for easy digging.

Nice change of pace, but planting is tons of work without an excavator. Satisfying to get the root flair at the right height though!
View attachment 111660
I did some landscaping with the guy I work with now. I don't do landscaping, but he caught the tree crew off guard. We had to plant like 15 trees, but had to rent a jackhammer as it was solid rock 4" below the surface.

20210604_153803.jpg 20210604_210302_10.jpg 20210604_153757.jpg 20210604_153757.jpg 20210604_175635.jpg

Celebrating climbing, advancing her own line, and running a saw in a tree.

This was a pretty challenging first.

It was a good sized tree, and the wind picked up.

I swung over, after finishing topping mine, to where she was hanging out, halfway up in her tree resting, and gaining comfort with the exposure, while watching my technique through a lens with some personal experience.

Cedars can be a nuisance to work in, and advance one's climbing system.

We started there somewhere between noon and 1pm. At 5, she descended, and I finished limbing, topping, and chunking small log, undercutting the COG, mostly.

Man, that is SO cool Sean! Only thing: You makin the little lady climb in t-pads, bro?... is that how you keep your edge?😂
No but seriously that was really cool to see… Put me in mind of a whole family of residential tree killers.😂

Max: Really interesting looking Pines... Scotch Pine?... Black Pine??

Treesmith: Crackin’ it off big and fast man... nice one.

I had to give up my comfy pads and pole spurs for her. Had to shorten them.

I worked in my Ti Bucks with steel inserts...less comfy on thin bark.

I have some second-hand geckos from a lot of gear i bought from Ray Rockett, but the shin cup didn't fit her, and they have Euro gaffs, less suited to thin bark.

Do you always wear tree spurs, @Jed?

I mostly wear those spurs/ climbers/ pads, and my Bucks for big saw/ spar work.

I have about 5 sets of climbers. Might need to get new pole gaffs for the geckos, and wear them myself.

I haven't been posting much work stuff, lately.
We are still on ROW clearing, and truth be told, it is not very exiting.
Money is good, though.
We had 6 large beech trees to pull, with the 480 KV power lines and a house on one side and a goddamned protected dike on the other.
If you put a dent in one of those, all Hell breaks loose.
We only have some 6 billion miles of old stone walls and dikes in the country, so god forbid we make a mark on one.

So, what to do?

Bring in a forwarder with a load of bridging material!

Worked fine and we could use the forwarder to pull the trees.

According to Murphy, one can substitute pulling power for skills, and since, according to him, I don't have any, that was the way to go.

Got all 6 trees on the ground and nobody could tell we'd dropped them across the dike.

Man, the things I do for money :|:

P1080106.JPG P1080108.JPG P1080109.JPG P1080112.JPG P1080113.JPG

To keep cows out of the forests.
It is a ( or were 300 years ago) a dike with a trench on one side.

In the 1700 years Denmark only had some 5% of the country covered in forest.
The biggest threat to the forests were that farmers stole timber and let their cattle and swine roam wild in the forests.
Hogs are not a problem, they eat the seeds of becch and the acorns, but being rather messy, always leave some behind, which they have managed to bury, thus starting the next generation of forest.
Cattle will, once they run out of grass, eat anything, including the newly sprouted trees, that the hogs have just helped along.

So in 1763 the king decided that enough was enough.
A German forester Johan Georg Von Langen was invited to Denmark, to help propagate our forests.
He had the dikes made and introduced "modern" forestry practices, such as shooting the damned farmers, when they stole timber ( Hell, he was German, what do you expect?)

He also introduced several species, such as Whire fir and Common Maple ( The latter has spread to the point where it has become a pest. It is known as "Von Langen's footprint")

3 of the Firs that he had planted are among the largest trees in the country today.
I have managed to sneak up in all 3 of them :D

You might prefer to flush-cut stubs for better handling, loading, and unloading, unless you have a intended handle-stub.

'Resting' the saw on the log can reduce strain in limbing, and allow easier, more targeted cuts.

What's that hoist/ jack thing?

I was going through a pile of unused chains getting them all sharp, even, & cutting like new. Found a basically new one with the depth gauges filed waaay down. I tested it to see if it was usable, full skip. It took every bit of power in some cherry, but I wanted to see how fast it was in cedar.

Old farmertec 372 the tree company uses.
(old post, video deleted to make room for new videos)

Last edited:
What's that hoist/ jack thing?

That's what they call a 5 12 lift, usually used for installing ductwork and the like. They are rated for 500 pounds at 12 foot high, hence the name lol. They were throwing it away years ago, so i took it and use it for loading logs sometimes. You place the log on the forks, crank it up, then roll it on the trailer/ truck. Better than just grunting stuff, but i really want to get my loader finished. I've used it over the years for all sorts of stuff, everything from installing the air handler in my attic to helping pull the armature from my welder when i rebuilt it.

Back