The Official Work Pictures Thread

Nice work sir! Hope the shoulder mends soon!

Maine Sean: WOW! Cool pics, and SUPER rad work. Thanks.

South Sound Sean: Yer the man. LOVED the 3-strand friction notches. Good times imho.

Frankie: Sir: firewood is an abstruse science, and in my opinion, one should never rely on British Thermal Units as a suitable index fer how stuff is gonna burn... EXAMPLE!... years ago, when I worked for a big giant company, we got all excited because we were going to get to cut down a huge, introduced red Oak for Paul Allen. I dragged a bunch of it home with me, and split it up (this particular tree was crazy straight, and split like a dream) and I found it to burn wonderfully hot, and for a long long time, but in the end… this crazy stuff called clinker started to accumulate in the bottom of my woodstove.

Now Douglas fir, my friend... with this ambiguous species we encounter something truly weird in that, depending on growing conditions... there’s really no two of them which are the same.It sounds to me like the stuff that you got your hands on, is the type of stuff that folks in our neck of the woods call, “fluff.” Some fast growing, fat-ringed little pig, that had all of the sunlight it ever could have desired, because some murderous rascal with a chainsaw cut all of his competitors down. Darkwoods Firs are a whole nother monster, and I do mean monster. If you ever got yer greedy little hands on some of the twisted, gnarled, tight ringed,(where are the earlywood and latewood are darn near the same size) heavy, sap-seamed specimen, well then I dare say that you would leave a ton of that broad-limbed stuff to the furniture makers. But then... I could be wrong... I guess in the end, we burn what God grows us.

Here’s a shot of three Firs I cut (one fall and two climbs) today... not super tight grained. (Davin and Sam in the pic.)

88C7FF1A-AFDC-45D1-9AC4-00AD1310339F.jpeg

Last edited:
@Jed - I do not find firewood to be an “abstruse science” any more so than building chainsaws ... Experience is the key ! While it’s true that certain characteristics will foment variation in the same genus - Ya just cannot polish a 💩 ... The densest knottiest crotch of silver maple will seldom if ever throw the heat of the spindliest limb of shagbark hickory and most certainly will not maintain the burn cycle for hours on end ... I see these videos of guys on the PNW cutting relative “balsa-wood” and thumping their chests and I have to quietly chuckle inwardly - I’m wise to that game. If ya haven’t run your saw in our Eastern hardwoods ya ain’t got nothin to say about it :D

Douglas fir is a softwood that produces medium heat , sparks , is easy to split and seasons in about 6months ... Even though it’s technically a softwood it is listed favorably in the btu / cord charts:)

I think that is pretty close what I tried to say. To clarify for all the slow New Englanders...it's pretty much top of the tier for fuel wood, here in my part of the world.

Now in north Africa, camel dung is the best cooking and heating fire fuel available. Want to call their fuel, the only thing they have, poor in comparison to yours? Want to import some red oak, Frankie?

Pffft.

Last edited:
I’m not from New England , I’m from Buffalo Ny aka “the city with no pity” and rest assured I’m not interested in burning dung for heat nor giving away ANY of my Red Oak ... You want some of this ... You gonna PAY!

That’s not very nice @Burnham ... rest assured kind sir , it all goes in one ear ...... and right out the other . Now , if you will excuse me , I’ve a splitting date with some premo WNY Red Oak , some of the finest !

Started solo-speedline at around 100', downslope to an running-bowline anchor point that I pushed up a fir trunk to 20'.
Slung and clipped in my way up until out of slings, pulled excess rope up tight and friction wrapped to anchor it, taut.
Descended 15-20' to the bottom of the remaining canopy, stripping on the way up, getting beyond the original trunk, getting into the smaller branches on the regrown leader, which I could just get into the drop zone, with a slight breeze pushing falling limbs toward house and deck.
With about an hour of day, I got to 4", caught the top on a rope, and chunked down to 20" diameter with fuel to spare in my ms193t, but running down on light. Was running out of space in the drop zone.

IMG_20201209_162345317_HDR.jpg

IMG_20201209_162655623.jpg

IMG_20201209_165230426.jpg

IMG_20201209_165237631.jpg

Started solo-speedline at around 100', downslope to an running-bowline anchor point that I pushed up a fir trunk to 20'.
Slung and clipped in my way up until out of slings, pulled excess rope up tight and friction wrapped to anchor it, taut.
Descended 15-20' to the bottom of the remaining canopy, stripping on the way up, getting beyond the original trunk, getting into the smaller branches on the regrown leader, which I could just get into the drop zone, with a slight breeze pushing falling limbs toward house and deck.
With about an hour of day, I got to 4", caught the top on a rope, and chunked down to 20" diameter with fuel to spare in my ms193t, but running down on light. Was running out of space in the drop zone.

View attachment 105698

View attachment 105699

View attachment 105700

View attachment 105701

I never have any idea what you’re describing Sean, but it does look like a lot of organisation to do a job like that solo, so well done (even though you’re quite mad)

Haha... right o, mate. If you keep telling yourself that maybe you will believe it. Doesn’t make it true though...

Being the best wood splitter??? Really, is that your greatest achievement so far in your life?

The only thing you will beat me on is blowing your own trumpet! You have that down to a tee, I’ll admit that.

Probably saw tuning as well... you keep telling everyone you are the best saw builder/tuner.

You, are a legend in your own underpants.

Do you know that an empty vessel makes the most noise?

Some of the absolute bollox you come out with is friggin' hilarious.

Last edited:
Nobody but NOBODY mashes potatoes like me, the way I put butter and milk in, then a bit of pepper and salt...

You can only dream of mashing potatoes like me, you loser.

(Gonna post a vid soon of Ol Mick mashing taties,that’ll learn ya!)

Correction ... @ biggun and @Mick! ... neither one of ya can keep up with Ol Frankie ... and that’s the fact Jack ! Now drop and gimme 50 ... Sarge OUT !

How can I help u sir ? Are you interested in a Hotwoods ported saw? Perhaps my internet book “how to build a chainsaw properly that will spank-0-la 95% of the competition” just 3 easy payments of just 59.99 !!!

Go head on son , I’m looking for your utube channel but I see nothing , nor on instagram... Heck even @Mick! is on Instagram ... I’m on there too ... fabz3blackcat ... black panther icon can’t miss it :D

My apologies, what’s the utube channel name , and Instagram : heavens knows I’m not psychic

Nobody but NOBODY mashes potatoes like me, the way I put butter and milk in, then a bit of pepper and salt...

You can only dream of mashing potatoes like me, you loser.

(Gonna post a vid soon of Ol Mick mashing taties,that’ll learn ya!)
Don't forget some olive oil.

But are you on OPE? You could try for 4 & 0 there
But are you on OPE? You could try for 4 & 0 there
Couldn’t PAY me enough to join that group of wanna be , NEVER BE know-it-all’s ... There’s a reason why that place is what it is ... I don’t see Hotsaws101 as a member there and his saws will whoop a cat on ol Bird legs’ and his band of Gypsy’s somethin fierce ... 8) .... heck , look at the BS - storm when my fellow NYer Ironhorse tore down a MM saw on one of his utube videos !

Last edited:
Back