The Official Work Pictures Thread

Bat-shit crazy!! I love that. Very cool job to have. And that's some nice precision bore cutting y'all are doing on those beech trees. Very cool stuff...wish I was there to be part of the team. Nothing at all wrong with being Batman.

Interesting job, Stig. Those are some fairly large dwellings, any idea how many bats each one will house?

We cut out a slab, then hollow out a cavity and screw the slab back on again after cutting an entrance hole.
They should hold a little colony, I don't know how many members.
The trick was to make the slab fit exactly, leaving no cracks that will let draught in.
The bat kids are naked and easily killed by hypothermia.

Since we are boring straight into end grain, when we enlarge the cavity upwards, the risk of a kickback is severe.

So I insisted that they put the usual American warning on the " How to make a bat nest cavity" manual.

"This was done by trained professionals, do not try this at home".

Don't want some little nature lover to end up with a split face.

So how do you accomadate for the kerf if the slab has to be air tight.?

Exactly the biggfest problem , we had to solve.
Don't look at the pictures, they are from an experiment.

We cut the "slab" out by boring in from all 4 sides with a very shallow angle.
Then when we start hollowing out, we leace a one inch wide edge all the way around the edge of the cavity.
That way, once everything has been cut and broken out ( Notice Richard is working with a wrecking bar in the last picture) the slab, which has been cut flat by the groundie, simply goes back on and sits on that inch of wood, fitting tight.
That means it is recessed a bit from the surface of the trunk, a good thing, because that way, when it really rains, the water running down the trunk will drip past the slab instead of being able to get into the cavity.
We ended up making it wider at the top than the bottom for two reasons.
Makes it easier for the groundie to see which way is up when he/she sets the fastening screws and the climber can wedge it in, whgen fastening it, which eliminated the need of and extra arm.

This has been really interesting, since we are pioneering this stuff. It has been tried before in different countries, but according to our bat expert, we are the first to make it work.
That is why he can't get a how to guide out fast enough.

A side benefit is , we are learning a LOT about bats from hanging out with him :)

If this doesn't make sense, I'll make some pictures when we start.

Last edited:
Yup I see the advantage of it being recessed, for some reason I had it in my head that it had to look “untouched “ for the bats as they are apparently fussy buggers

Stinkin HUGE Beaches there Stig. Incredible work. Would have loved to see that in person. Not a fan of the double/triple hinge, but I loved the Sizwill.

Regarding the bat-job photos: That one guy's (Richard?) a MAN rockin TWO saws off his saddle. In case he runs out? Get er Richard! :2gunfire:

Sean: You and Sven are putting up some WORK brother.

Patric: Straight up work. Mad jealous of yer oaks. Nice hinge.

Looks really effective.

Not as effective as this, though:

I got to play with some heavy metral today.
A Ponsse Buffallo with an extra strong crane and a log grapple and one with a grapple saw.

All I had to do was drop the trees that were too big for the grapple saw, buck the log and move on.
They took care of the rest.
One tree had severe lean towards another, instead of pulling iut, I just felled it against the oither and the grapple saw took it apart.

P1070889.JPG P1070890.JPG P1070891.JPG P1070895.JPG P1070896.JPG

Mick, Richard has been on that job for a while.
I just stepped in for the last day, so he could go back to the feller buncher.

Gary, Everything gets chipped for biomass except the valuable logs.

With the firewood market slowly petering out and more and more powerplants converting from coal to biomass, it is a trend that will continue, I think.

Are there much in the way of regulations home burning wood stig? Wood's kinda fallen out of favor here too. It used to be unthinkable you'd build a house without a chimney/fireplace, but that's most of them anymore, at least in this part of the world.

Back