The Official Work Pictures Thread

So is "shelf cut" where you make the "V" or is that where you just make it flat?

For stick crane work, I'm a fan of the mis match cut aka step cut, which creates a flat shelf like I think you are referring to.

Wow Jed, what size crane are y'all getting for #2?

Cory: I just apologized to Chris Maragulia for forgetting all the specs on our new crane. A guy like me could be expected to remember that, but... I don't like crane work which probably says a lot about why I forgot. I'll get some pics of it when it comes in which will probably be a bit.

Gary/John: Thanks gents. I probably should have roped a lot more limbs than I did, but I've been really lucky out there, and there hasn't been a breath of wind. We have not hat to rope any wood... just prayin we can get our logs to land flat via Gerry's 270 degree flop trick. Today my buddy Kent went up to take out a small Cedar, but didn't realize that a Big Leaf Maple had been using the Cedar as a trellis. Well... he cut that Cedar down and the stinkin Maple lead just fell straight across the road and slapped the power lines. The power lines saved out, but it took out some stupid com line. None of the residents have complained yet, so we just fessed up to the contractor guys and kept rollin. We'll see what comes of it. Doubt if anything.

Right man?... I’m just up there at a hundred feet seething in anger and it’s not even my crew’s chipper. :whine:. Well... all’s well that lands well.... I don’t have to worry about it, since I got to climb the last of the big Firs on that job this morning. My crew’s off to greener, if lower-paying pastures tomorrow. Stinkin had fun though. Here’s a 4 second video of the last tree’s top hitting the floor; my thumb fumbled... IPhone GoPro lol...
View attachment IMG_0118.MOV

Crown raise and a reduction for a new shop pad and drive. Reduced the side lead which will be near the building. Drive is supposed to stay out at the drip line.
The lads did a bunch of mucking out fallen trees further in while i made a mess for them. 20201007_105142.jpg 20201006_095806.jpg
Looks like i cant fix the order. 'dontknow' 20201007_111047.jpg 20201007_105142.jpg 20201006_095806.jpg 20201006_095832.jpg 20201007_105115.jpg 20201007_111136.jpg

Last edited:
We'll go back and burn all those nice tidy piles in December. Could not have walked through that grove of smaller trees. Standing dead hazards as well. And could not walk ynder that canopy once i was done pruning.
Crazy thing was, two little kids had made a fort in the grove under a fallen rotten pine. Mom was upset when she found out and called us to fix it. The one oak that fell was 40"dbh. When Rob hit the hung up pine with the mini, it fell apart. Pine big enough to horrible harm or kill.
The kids had some pet rocks in the fort and we re pleased we recovered most of them.
The oldest has a new rifle and made a couple of wanted posters on the trees. 20201006_095742.jpg

😆. Cool pictures Mick. Say... I definitely don’t recognize that type of tree... Is it a Cypress of some sort?

Stephen: MAN I love those Black Oaks. Beautiful job you did.

I did a toad of a Cedar, and a SUPER nasty Maple.
827730D9-D99A-4AF7-A88B-E389AC2D6F03.jpeg EBC50138-D3F4-408D-8CE9-BB240F3641AA.jpeg C83AB79D-7B56-4798-A191-535C52CE8C9D.jpeg

Cédrus deodar = Cedar in Europe.

Thuja plicata = Western red Cedar in the US

One of those recurring confusions like sycamore that pitch up regularly.

Great work as usual Jed.

Now I feel Dumb, because I almost said Deodar. Washingtonians call it a Deodorant.

I had seen a video a while back about a “Thuja,” removal in the UK. So I guess we introduced Deodar over here, and you guys introduced Thuja over there. Somebody told me Deodar came from Asia??

@Jed, there are a couple of common ones in Europe. Cedrus atlantica, Cedrus deodora and Cedrus libani.

Cedar of Lebanon is pretty unmistakable IMO where the atlantica and deodora look very similar.

I once read the easiest way to tell the different is the growth habit at the branch tip.

atlantica - ascending tips.
deodora - descending tips.

So far that rule has proved true. We don’t see many Cedar other than Thuja in Norway.

Nice pics, and obviously it worked well so therefore the following point may be superfluous, but did you consider making the back cut below the hinge to help prevent any chance of the tree being ripped off the stump before it had a chance to commit?

That looks like a $ tree @Mick ... That would be about 10 face cord + or - and about 25hun to go from tree to split wood from my end ... Looks like the STIHL 880 got some use , Lovely saws for that size timber - I’m guessing about 36” from grapple pic. Nice to see actual work being performed ... lotta “bench racing” all around here lately ...:)

Back