The Official Work Pictures Thread

If you pull up a video of a 'regular' log truck, you can see the stinger for the pintle-hitch is wayback. Its not set up like a 5th-wheel at all. The logs swing wide of the drivewheels when making sharp turns. The log bunks have some pivot in the rear a bit, I believe.
5th wheel style
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stinger-style.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just a reminder that you don't need to use any special embed code for YouTube videos. Just copy the link right out of your address bar and paste it into your post.

Marc, those vids were awesome, thanks for posting.

I'd be lost without my log truck guy

I wish. Neither of them are, one is my log guy and the other is a heavy hitter in the area that helps me out every now and again.

A great self loader log truck operator is worth his, or her (I have known a couple of the female gender; hat's off there because the ladies have an incredibly steep hill to climb to get in the biz at all) weight in gold.

Awesome Pics!

I love self loaders....

Wow. So cool.

Nothing says poor traffic control like A Lexus in the Mix. I couldn't stop laughing out the window.

Attachments

• 20191119_065055.jpg
    20191119_065055.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 25
I like Rich’s view better than mine!
Hazwoper 24 hour refresher training this week.
Does this make me look fat? ;)
3265CB59-B22E-4FBC-804D-656D3489292F.jpeg

Oh they got everything a growing boy needs!

Mostly flammable liquids which are also toxic, something that displaces oxygen, a little flammable solids that need to be kept cold, some corrosives, some mutagen, some organic peroxide which in a fire would be like a flammable liquid that supplies it’s own oxygen and it’s also pretty reactive and will start on fire if a runaway reaction happens, and we got this one flammable liquid that IF it burns, it will make HF, hydrofluoric acid and I don’t wish that on my worst enemy. We don’t make, use, or store HF, if it’s around it’s because the shit has already hit the fan.
I don’t think I can really say the names of our raw materials, I signed a lot of legal papers when I got hired. I’m not at all worried about anyone here telling my boss, I’m worried about if I get investigated some time in my career this might be found. Actually not supposed to take pictures either, but I didn’t take it, can’t remember who did either.

While we’re kinda on the subject, don’t burn plastics or vinyl. I had an idiot friend in high school that had bonfires and threw just whatever on the fires. One night it was pieces of a swimming pool liner. I wasn’t there for it, but a few buddies were and it ruined their week, nobody went to the hospital but they said they were coughing up small amounts of water and just hurting skin, eyes, throat, and nose for days. I think that moron might’ve dosed the party with a tiny amount of hydrogen fluoride... the liquid cough kinda sounds like pulmonary edema. I say small amount because their bones didn’t turn to mush and they didn’t die screaming. Who knows what was in the smoke, lots of bad stuff.
I think grown men and women here aren’t burning trash like that but kids are pretty stupid sometimes! Burning vinyl can make horrible horrible stuff.

We had some idiot around the corner who was a contractor. He piled up his vinyl siding scraps on his burn pile and fired it off. I had enough of it and had my bud go in and call DEC or EPA. He got a recording and left a message. They called back and my mother told him the story. He said he was probably burning an outdoor wood boiler. In August? I rode my bike over one night I couldn't sleep and checked out his burn pile. No vinyl. Maybe they did give him a warning.

My boss burns stupid shit in his burn pile. He hasn't burned in awhile, and the pile's gotten out of control. If I get some time this winter, I might start burning it down in small fires. Just the wood though. I'll try to convince him to get a container for the other stuff.

Covered space in a rainy climate. Currently, 14'x 26' long. Enough tarp to extend to 30', when I get another hoop made. May pull the extra tarp out to the side of the hoop, somehow, for more storage.

Hopefully, a mill will go beneath, along with the lumber I'm get ready to store beneath it, freeing up hard gravel parking for the rainy season.

A mill, in time, will cut the lumber to build a permanent mill shed.
IMG_20191119_110529556.jpg IMG_20191119_110529556.jpg

IMG_20191119_110550715.jpg

If i remember right pvc (vinyl) makes hcl (hydrochloric acid) on burning, which then forms the acid in your lungs. Hf isn't fun stuff either, teflon is nasty stuff. Was just curious because that's a wicked amount of hazmat suit, and that's coming from a guy who has done a ton of confined space work on nasty stuff. I assume that's the full on supplied air deal, I've never had to go that far, although we had the evacuation setups right by the manhole. I also assume because they train you guys to be the first responders, that's why you do that training. Most plants around here are that way, because the plant operators actually know what's there and how to deal with it, whereas a firefighter would be walking in blind.

Sean, i need to make one of those!!!

Yes you’re right. Our site makes 2 different products. Corian solid surface usually for countertops or showers, sometimes building cladding, and we make Tedlar pvf- poly vinyl fluoride film used for photovoltaic applications, solar panels, and Boeing airplanes.
Burn poly vinyl chloride and generate hydrochloric acid. Burn poly vinyl fluoride and generate hydrofluoric acid.

Also, traces of vf left in tanks don’t do well if someone trys welding or grinding on the tanks. One dead, one injured with burns and eye injuries, I hear he’s doing ok and regained some vision. This was in 2010, not during my shift.

Also learned that the next little city over, in Lockport, NY 15 miles, away is a company called VanDeMark. They make most of the planet’s and 100% of the US’s merchant phosgene. All phosgene being transported by rail or truck comes from here. Buffalo railyard might have up to 50 x 90 ton tank rail cars at any given time. Other companies and plants out there might produce phosgene, but they’re also consuming it in their own processes and not selling or shipping it. Then there’s the spooky ghost town part of Niagara Falls, NY called Love Canal.
Makes me wanna go back to the trees. Maybe in Texas.

Sheet... I watched that show in real life...
Another day in the week of the year of the decade of our lives.

Jonny Heck of a suit... yeah. Hope u never have to use it..

Sean, Digging the dry work space... looks cozy.

We did some hazmat training with the fire brigade here, in a nut shell we cordon the area, stay up wind and let the professionals deal with it.
Even car fires, apparently when the rubber stuff in the window seals burns it turns into some nasty horrible stuff that goes right through your skin and starts doing nasty stuff inside, the only way to stop it is to amputate...it may be true, or maybe they just told us that to keep us out of the smoke and not touching stuff...
We are being issued with canister half face masks for this bushfire season, the P2 paper masks are being phased out. I was at a fire on Tuesday and I can't wait for the canister mask, coughed for half a day after, even with wearing a P2 all day.

I've never heard that, may be true but i don't think so... there are chemicals out there that are on that level of bad tho.... but i think most of them kill you before you could amputate unless you literally just picked up a saw and went to town with it. We have stuff up here that burns when exposed to air and explodes with water contact. :/:

Back