The Official TreeHouse Martial Arts Thread!

Cory, I totally disagree with most of it.
Like, how many boxers do you see taking one arm out of action.

I do, however, greatly admire him for turning a disability into an advantage.

Folks like me, who regularly fall down stairs and cripple themselves, can learn from that.

Plus, he sure a shit could fight.

Gary, that is one seminar I'd have loved to participate in.
Also to meet your master.

Just watch this clip if you get a chance. To me, this is poetry in motion. The flow and understanding between fighter and trainer is great.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rich, that was good. Lordy, bad move to fight that kid...

Gary, good stuff. The staff/oak tree stuff is very cool, I gotta try that, no doubt waaaay harder that it looks. Climbing fallen tree tops is fun, fo sho.

Okay, Gary.....you win the award for the stove-uppest grandpa ever....:P

I couldn’t do that (the rope climb) at 10...or 20...or 30...or 40...certainly can’t at 53...but hey, maybe 60 will bring youth and vitality!

Last edited:
Rick, I .,ove how fast he gets those kicks off the ground.
No telegraphing at all.
I've been focusing on that when teaching, telling students not to be so focused on power, but to concentrate on speed.
The most powerfull kick in the World is useless if the opponent can see it coming.

BTW, did they genetically engineer that guy to make him perfect for holding striking pads?
If so, it sure worked.

I've been focusing on that when teaching, telling students not to be so focused on power, but to concentrate on speed.

I agree....have them look at what knocks out people...the punches and kicks that do the deed are often fiffy little things...not much power but they come from an unexpected angle and often are not high impact but almost a casual passing by as they hit the enemy....basically the KO blows/kicks are not seen and so can't be blocked or avoided. In Bando we say there is no defense against 3 things....speed, surprise and style.

So which is the “best” martial art? I know next to nothing about them, aside from what I’ve seen in movies...which is not accurate at all, I suspect. I’ve heard Jeet Kun Do (sp.) is best for all-around. I’ve seen documentaries about the old Shaolin monks that made Kung Fu look impressive. I’d guess there are hundreds of arts, or at least variations thereof.

Last edited:
I think the "best" is the one you enjoy most. Soft, hard, circular, direct, more legs, more arms, compliments body shape... Probably the most practical is a modern conglomeration that teaches everything from bare hands to firearms. Like military training.

My problem with the "modern" styles is that they lack the moral codex of the old arts.
I realize that may sound silly, coming from someone like me.
My sensei once said that I was the kind to knock out my opponent, then start chewing on the corpse.
Obviously, he didn't know I am a vegetarian.

But I have never attacked anybody who didn't have it coming.
So as far as that goes, I've been true to the old codex.

I tend to agree stig. I was into it for the art and discipline, and not explicitly defense. The more practical arts are less "artistic", but they get shit done.

Re Treesmith's question, lotta folks say having skills in both boxing and jiu jitsu will take you a long way, as you can handle business on the feet as well as on the ground. And if you could choose only, ju jitsu

I think nearly all martial arts are great in their own way. Different arts developed through history for a reason and some times can be then tamed for sport purposes. Regardless, the discipline to succeed in whatever the art is always a good thing. To understand it’s history and the reasons it developed into what it is... again is good to know.

As of practicality, I would say Muay Thai and BJJ would be the best of both worlds. Handle business upstairs and handle business in the ground. Saying that, I am biased as those are the two I train. Apart from a bit of karate when I was a youngster.

There are many practical arts though for self defence. And it an age old question as to which is the best.

I watched this clip the other day, made me chuckle due to the Chuck Norris jokes that go around. No disputing Chuck was a stud but he was humbled.

What all of it taught me was how to block, strike, TD, and hold to submission.
Likewise i done taekwondo for 10yrs as a kid and thd best thing i learned was toblock and counter and even playing around with mates n workmates i almost always block and it catches them out not expecting it... then comes a fist (mucking around)

Fluid as hell.
Love it.
Pity that the 2 of us never got a chance to play before I got sick and crippled.
Wouldn't be much of a match today.

Sure would have been a lot of fun pitting my 6 foot Bo against your sticks for fun at a gettogether( What is the Bando term for them?) with a lot of TreeHousers, drunk on beer, watching :lol:

We call that size "short sticks"....our sticks range from fist sticks (yawara) to 12 long...some of the ancient Burmese warriors used long sticks/spears against elephants (or their drivers...mahouts).

We were using those to practice double dha work...dha is the Burmese sword.

I'll see if I can video some bo staff size techniques ...approx. 6 feet...to give you a flavor of what we do.

Using a stick against an elephant? That is crazy

There would usually be a long spear for that use against the elephant. Or they would attack the mahout.

Some of the warriors actually used long swords to attack the elephants. They would cut the tendons in the legs to try to cripple the elephants. The Burmese and the Thai folks used elephants for war.

Back