The Official Random Video Thread!

His videos are notoriously slow to load. I usually have to walk away from the screen for s bit.
Same with ya'll thumbnail uploads
Better if they are large size.
Sounds like poor bandwidth. Who is your provider and if you're paying close to 75-100 per month for internet (unless you have a package with cable, in which case, since I don't have cable, I can't give you a cost estimate on that), then you should be receiving better bandwidth.

Check out the image below. I just took a bandwidth test. I actually have what I would consider slow internet. Click the link below to take the test. If your measurements are lower than mine, than you should talk to your internet provider. If you've been with them for a long time, insist on an upgrade. Say you'll leave them for another popular provider. 9/10 they will tell you to hold, ask management and management will approve you for a High Speed Internet Package.

My father has done this religiously throughout his career with Comcast. Once a year, when they increase the price, he'll wait for a sale to come on TV and then he'll call and argue the point: I've been a reliable, long term customer of Comcast. So why are these new customers getting the deals and I'm having to pay more now annually? If I left now for one of Verizon's deals, then I could have you bring people to disassemble my systems to take your modems back and routers back and I could have them come in and install new ones and I would pay less. I will leave unless you give me the same deal.

And guess what happens? He gets the motha f*ckin deal. Like a boss.

Link: Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test - https://www.speedtest.net/

Bandwidth Test.png

Attachments

• Bandwidth Test.png
    Bandwidth Test.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I would have to get star link. We are a captive audience. One phone company. No cable. DSL. if I paid for your speeds, it would be 200.00 per month with no real good up load speed. So DL is moot because of a slow hand shake signal needing up load speed. SAT is worse here.

You are funny, man. Cursed lives in a very rural area. I do too. There is no other provider, popular or otherwise :)

Urban people just don't get it, sometimes.
If you have internet, you have an ISP (Internet Service Provider). Trust me, I get it. Even if you have satellite service, you still have a provider. Are you insinuating that you have absolutely free of cost internet? If you do, then congratulations. I'll concede and say I misunderstood. But if you are paying someone for your internet, regardless of how you acquire it, you have an ISP and that is someone you typically are contractually obligated to pay for your internet service.

Do you have an ISP?

I've spent half of the life in the suburbs. In fact, I currently live in the suburbs.

Also, if you're saying that you have to use your phones for internet service, via 3G-5G, etc. then your ISP would be the person you pay for your data and phone services. You can still call those people up and request a the same deal that people who are new customers are receiving.

Are you saying there is some third way that you're getting internet services from? One which cost you absolutely nothing?

Look, I'm was trying to help you, @CurSedVoyce You and @Burnham are sort of antagonizing me as the urban idiot know-thing guy. I don't feel like that's an accurate assessment.

So you get free internet through somethign other than a WiFI or mobile service? Even satellite, as already mentioned, constitutes an ISP (Internet Service Provider). One with multiple plans and opportunities for increasing internet speed.

Help me understand, please.

He's saying he lives so far out, he also has a sunlight bill from the company that pipes it in. There's one provider, and you take what they give, or you do without. There's still lots of places like that in the US. I'm fortunate that I have bad service out of choice. I have just about everything available, and a few providers. Many don't have that option.

Oh, okay, I understand now. I've lived in New Hampshire with the same situation where you get what you get. Zero options with one plan. But sometimes your providers, for such regions, will offer you devices such as high power amplifiers for the signal in your region. You just have to ask. You won't know until you ask. They don't advertise things like that, so again...you just have to ask. For a relatively low cost investment, you could set up a series of signal amplifiers along the radius between where the signal is transmitted and where you live. Sometimes those devices are subsidized. You just have to learn how to install them. I know because a NH company did it for me.

So please do not make assumptions. You clearly have an ISP, as I predicted, and there are potentially opportunities for you to speed up and widen your bandwidth that you may not even be aware off.

Again....................just...........trying..............to..........help.

Lay it out.....
Verizon is about the only CELL phone provider here. Not much else works and so many dead spots, you are lucky to even get 4g on a 5 g phone in town. Everywhere else, lucky you get 2 bars
My "Phone company/ISP" has a monopoly up here. You get what you get depending on what you are willing to shell out. Hell, they cant hardly run credit cards in town
SAT type service is sketchy and expensive at best with almost no goodup load speed.
We have deep valleys with no towers. We have high mountains blocking service.
There are places up here you get to hike up a mountail to get a bar or two to message out. No phone connection.
There are places up here no electric or land line service and the shut the water off in November
Star Link is tempting and IF I did not have a phone number everyone already knew and Elon offered my cell service, I'd jump on that shat.
And yes I have boosters and routers around my structure.
I supplied WIFI for fire fighters camped out on my property

Starlink is 120/month for Yosemite for that Standard package and you could simply get an internet based phone number for home through Google Voice. I don't have answers to your questions regarding being out and about. I never gave those angles consideration, so I apologize. I was strictly focused on improving your home viewing experience on the internet. You would likely still need a mobile service, so that's redundant and annoying. I guess I understand your dilemma. I apologize for getting sassy.

My ego gets bruised when people treat me like I'm clueless, when the reality is that, even though I might not be in your shoes, I might have answers that fit your shoes.

EDIT: Even if I don't, it's never good to assume. Turns out I have a potential solution for you, even if you have to buy the amplifier yourself.

Last edited:
Oh, crap. I missed that you said you had boosters all over your place. Haha, that's my ADHD at play. I guess I concede. I failed you @CurSedVoyce. I'm going to kneel before you and I want you to perform the ancient Japanese ritual of SEPPUKU on me. I will never utter again about your interwebs nor it's ability to perform and I shan't utter again about trying to repair your hopeless internet arrangement. I have one more solution: move somewhere else or launch your own satellite. Wait, two.

Seppuku (切腹, 'cutting [the] belly'), also called hara-kiri (腹切り, lit. 'abdomen/belly cutting', a native Japanese kun reading), is a form of Japanese ritualistic suicide by disembowelment.

*kneels down and exposes his abdominal region*

Slay me. Do it quickly! I've destroyed my family's honor. It's time...

*hands @CurSedVoyce a hot forged samurai blade folded one thousand times in the ovens of Nagasaki...*

Tell my children, that I don't have, that I love them.

EDIT: This is a joke mixed with a serious committment to not discuss your internet ever again. I thought I was helping, but you cannot be helped. I guess I was so optimistic that I thought there must be a solution. But apparently not.

Last edited:
Knothead...to help you understand one little part of this foolishness...the suburbs IS urban, from where I sit. There are zero differences, relative to my situation.

And here, like where Stephen lives, there is one single solitary internet provider. I can have either a single DSL offering, or nothing at all. I can get landline service for phone from the same company, or nothing at all as there is not sufficient cell service from any provider where I live. It's not even worth owning a smartphone, for us anyway.

Last edited:
Yes, I understand. You have zero options. I made the assumption that you had options. I apologize. I'm not used to advising someone in your situation about the internet. Sorry to hear you are both in such a predicament. They should really expand their capabilities in your region. For anyone else who isn't in that situation, my advice is still quite useful, so this was not all for naught.

So perhaps your original assessment was correct. Perhaps I did not understand. However, I do now. That was an oversight on my behalf. Especially considering I've been in your exact situation. So some part of me knew, but just didn't consider it.

Back