The MS150 Has Arrived

Here's my view...a chainsaw that only is useful for pruning has small call to duty, in my experience. If I were to climb with the intent to prune only, I'd be far more likely to go with one of the several larger Silkys...just my preference.

Not to imply that I couldn't see it in some circumstances, like a lengthy crown lift of a good sized conifer. There, it would be golden.

Here's my view...a chainsaw that only is useful for pruning has small call to duty, in my experience. If I were to climb with the intent to prune only, I'd be far more likely to go with one of the several larger Silkys...just my preference.

Not to imply that I couldn't see it in some circumstances, like a lengthy crown lift of a good sized conifer. There, it would be golden.

Well how about chainsaw juggling....:lol:

I can see it for dead wood.. A conifer as you describe B, black oaks... Some spreading crowns on virgin prunes that had some decent sized dead wood to deal with. Something that is pretty common for my schedule. Probably be good on some mistletoe jobs as well when you have to take out some tops. Less saw to squeeze up in the high part of the crown.

Honestly, I can see it as a toolbox saw, a nice small package to have handy for trail clearing, cleaning up the infrequently used driveway at the hunting cabin and something to have handy for small clean up jobs when you show up to bid a clean up. It's always nice to be able to leave and the customer can get in the driveway or garage, is it not?
I'm with Al, not sure about the timing gains yet, but it's showing potential, my biggest concerns so far are the price and that silly little chain!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So Randy what would be the sticker price Modded to the N'th degree?

Good question.......I'll see what I can get them for.

Why am I so doubtful?
Too good to be true, maybe?
:)

Remember.....the largest wood was 6.5". It's a small saw, for small wood. It's weight is it's biggest selling point I'm sure.

The timing gains didn't add up to much at all the way I presented them. I wonder if I should have done the timing mod last? Freeing the exhaust let her breathe....and may have allowed the timing advance to do more for it.

I'm not finished with it by a long shot.........but my help is leaving for a week, and I may not tinker on this saw while I'm carrying on without him.

Sorry Randy, I didn't mean to make you second guess yourself! The timing mods, it seemed to bog easier in the cut, the timing mods with the muffler mod, it seemed to have more torque. Which I think with this crowed, and this saw, torque is going to be key!

I see a good application for it when doing crane aided removals A fair amount of times when the hook won't go down through the crown with conifers, you have to get taken up there and cut off branches to open up the space. Pruning while hanging off the hook without anything under your feet and mostly it comes down to one handing. I use my small Zenoah, but certainly nothing against going lighter.

The weight is amazing, makes it worth being slower. I like the small kerf and bar. I feel my cuts are precise. Lugging around saws has always been my least favorite thing about climbing and this is nice. I am waiting for a light electic saw that can compete. I like the idea of not having to start the saw before making a cut.

... If I were to climb with the intent to prune only, I'd be far more likely to go with one of the several larger Silkys...just my preference...

Up until I started using this saw those were my thoughts also, Burnham. In fact, due to its high cost, there is a good chance I never would have even bothered trying it. But my local Stihl dealer just handed me one to try, so I thought why not. So glad I did.

A large part of my work these days involve trimming, so I was able to put it to work right away. I even used it the other day to rid a 130' tall, 68' spread Ponderosa pine of all of its petrified deadwood. It is exceedingly light and compact, more so than it looks. But even more impressive is how smooth it runs and cuts. It transmits very little vibration to either hands or cut. It is this cutting smoothness that I am most impressed with. I can make reduction cuts faster, easier and with more precision than I can with a hand saw. There is no branch chatter, no handsaw wiggle, just zip and the tip is gone leaving behind a smooth clean cut.

Dealing with its power limitations takes some getting used to but even in stock form it saves lots of energy and time on trim jobs. Now my only hope is that it lasts a good long time.

David

Randy is there a way to convert the 150 gas saw to the 3/8LP chain? Reason I ask is my stock echo 25.4cc pole pruner loves the PS PS3 3/8LP picco chain.

The little 1/4" extended pitch chain and it's narrow nosed bar is a must for this saw for what it's designed for.......keeping the weight down and secondly less power to turn it. Also for smaller aerial tree removal bore cuts can be made into smaller stems and pruning would be more precise. Just my 2 cents.

If it is due to weight then they need to start putting this on pole saws too. Wonder what it would save in weight with same inch bar and chain 3/lp to 1/4?

If it is due to weight then they need to start putting this on pole saws too. Wonder what it would save in weight with same inch bar and chain 3/lp to 1/4?
If you looked at my earlier post photo of this little chain Kevin you will see its even smaller then standard 1/4" chain. That's why I call it "ex tended pitch" 1/4" chain, same example as 3/8" extended pitch Picco chain compared in minature size to standard 3/8" chain.
When you get down to the size of a MS150 every ounce matters.
Pole saw use weight saving is not an issue, chain strength is and the little extended pitch 1/4" would not be strong enough to take the abuse with all that leverage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The 200T drum is larger, so swapping that isn't gonna happen. The whole clutch, drum assembly might fit, but would increase weight.

I like the micro chain pretty well after running a tank thru it yesterday.

I'm up to my eyes in port work, but will get back to this saw soon.

Back