The MS150 Has Arrived

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's 100.00 Butch.....

That includes timing advance, muffler mod, and shipping home.

We do the MS201 for the same price.

No porting on these for that price. Port work is 250.00 plus shipping. These two saws respond to the timing and muffler work in an unreal manner. No need to port them really.

Interesting. I actually have no idea what porting really means, I just know that's what gets done to soup a saw up.

It ain't cheap!

So, porting a 150 or 201 isn't worth the money?

I do a lot of MS200Ts......I port them as I rebuild them normally, so the port work and rebuild is grouped together and is a great deal. We take em down to the crank, inspect and clean all the parts, put em back together with all OEM parts. We increase the compression, port the jug, mod the muffler.....they end up about 400.00 each with parts labor and shipping. Considering what the used 200s are going for on ebay, that's not a bad price. The 150 and 201 are a different story. Not many needing rebuild, so the price of port work seems high......that and the gains we can get for minor tweaks is very good on those saws.....

So, I went to AgFest yesterday and came home with a 150TC...after spending two days apiece in two big cypress with just a Silky, and one left to finish, we figured the time had come to get the little saw. I'll pay it off next week for sure! I reckon this will fit the bill for the gap between my Silky and the 200t, been doing a lot of deadwooding, and fruit tree pruning lately. My aching elbows are going to thank me I'm sure.

I got show price for it, plus a spare chain. $720 here in Tasmania (It lists for $779). It was going to come with a Stihl cooler, but I asked for a spare chain instead, good thing I did, I checked through the 2014 catalogue and a new chain for this wee saw over here is listed at $65!!! It was funny walking through crowds of people carrying the little saw like a baby, man did I get some funny looks 8)
I reckon I 'll be picking up a few chain loops on my way through the States soon...what price is a 12" loop over there?

I just re-read this thread again, not being technical enough to be confident to handle the timing advance, is doing the muffler mod sufficient to give it an extra boost? I'll have to leave the spark arrestor in for fire regulations during fire season though.

Can't wait to put it in action, and I'll keep in mind the comments about it being a wee bit finicky until it breaks in. :)

Attachments

• P5010698.JPG
    P5010698.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 68
Thanks Randy, I'm going to run it stock for now (maybe pull the spark arrestor to start), then when I get back from Bermuda (I wish I could pack it in my suitcase!) I'll get in touch again. If you think I can do the timing advance with you coaching me over the internet...I might risk it!

That is super, Fiona.
I'll look forwards to hearing how you like it.

A new saw is just such a fine thing. Really brightens up the day:)

Nice Fi, YOU will love that saw for pruning!!!

I use mine about 90% of the time even on small/med size removals

Can you believe the price of a new chain though!? $65 in Tas.
At this point, anything I can do or buy (within reason) to avoid or relieve the aches and pains, the better :) I hear you Marc-A!

looks like I got #numbers backward for file kit and files :|:

file kit# 5605 007 1000

files pak of (6) # 5605 771 3206

Thanks for that, I posted somewhere else that at the show when I bought the saw, I asked the question about files and was told that they took the same size as for the polesaw and 200...I wasn't convinced (the chain is TINY) and the catalogue and you proved it. They were very busy so I'll let 'em off this time ;)
Going to town today to pick up the spare chains, and we'll see if they have the right files and kit in stock too.

Thanks for that, I posted somewhere else that at the show when I bought the saw, I asked the question about files and was told that they took the same size as for the polesaw and 200...I wasn't convinced (the chain is TINY) and the catalogue and you proved it. They were very busy so I'll let 'em off this time ;)
Going to town today to pick up the spare chains, and we'll see if they have the right files and kit in stock too.
Yes Fiona that chain really is tiny. Here's a pic I took of it on a battery saw the local Stihl dealer had on his shelf.

Being called a Picco 1/4" it's an "extended pitch" 1/4" chain like the Picco 3/8" chain is designed with a 1/4" cutter bit with a chassis extended to 3/8".

This little Picco 1/4" would be in the neighborhood of a 1/8" cutter bit with a 1/4" chassis............. Very unique chain.

Attachments

• 20131113_113402.jpg
    20131113_113402.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 97
Yup, I picked up a spare chain yesterday, the dealer had to take it off the battery powered saw as they don't have the chain in stock yet. I think I bought the first 150TC in Tasmania!

I used it for the first time today, had to do some rather severe surgery on my neighbour's old cherry plum...it was absolutely perfect for the job, small branches and tight spaces. It's so easy to work the small bar into little spaces, and when cutting small branches that I would normally have gone to the Silky it cuts them nice and clean, no chattering and splitting like the 200.

You do have to go into a cut full revs, and small twigs will stop it if you don't have it revved up. I could see the potential for kickback with homeowners underestimating twigs catching it and flicking it a bit.

I barely feel it clipped on my hip and it doesn't bang on my heels like a 200!

The 'TC-E' model has easy start, I don't know why they thought they needed it, it restarts very easily already.
It sounds like a toy, made me laugh when I first started it, it does have that hesitation initially at first 'rev up', we'll see if that improves as it breaks in, its on the second tank now.
More work for it tomorrow, should be paid for by Thursday!

Me likey :)

Henry & Randy of weedeaterman.com have supplied this brand spanking new MS150 for us to dig around in and share with you guys here at The Treehouse. ;)

We plan to do some mild mods to the saw, along with videos, pictures, and commentary.

You guys are the experts in your field.......it's your thoughts that we need. For example, is a screened exhaust mandatory for you? How about noise......is a modded saw too loud for you to be happy with?

This saw is light in my mind.......but by your standards it my be an underpowered, overweight pig.

One other thing........what size wood should I use for testing this saw? It's 24cc. I was thinking an 8" piece of poplar, but would love to hear your thoughts.

Here's a few pics. Remember please, we do about 200 working saws a year. This saw will have to be worked in with the others that are here to be modified and repaired. There will be days when we won't have anything new to add.

Old topic ... quote from the OP ...

But thought worth interjecting the question of why do a test run on 8" poplar?

Seems any saw should be tested on a couple different kinds ... say 6" oak and 6" pine ... or hickory and hemlock ... etc..

Back