The Biking Thread

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh, ok, I thought I read an earlier post somewhere here from you that said the land was almost totally flat.

Used to be friends with the guy that started Salsa Cycles, Ross Shafer. His first shop was beneath a Mexican restaurant. He later sold the business, but he is in the mountain bike hall of fame.

Never tried one of the belt drives yet, Cory. A guy visited me riding one.

Ive got a design for an automatic hub in mind. Would be cool with a belt drive, which would make it maintenance free. You would have one lever to control how fast you want to spin and then the hub would keep you spinning at that rpm whether you are going up hill or down.....

Are you thinking along the lines of the variomatic drive?

Not familiar with the variamatic however yes it it would be a constantly variable drive. Doubt I will ever get it together to build one but we shall see.

There is a wheel out there that sounds similar.....can't remember name. Copenhagen wheel maybe

Im bout skeered to ride my bike so close to my trip......fearing dumbass injury ......so I have resigned myself to carry a pack and hike......or climbing. frigged up I know. I did put air in both my single speeds anticipating my return to riding. Lol

I don't normally think of cycling as inherently dangerous, if you can be selective of where and when to ride and exercise caution. I can imagine it varying from place to place though. I recall a thread here where a number of people expressed a strong dislike of cyclists because of their not obeying laws or being road greedy. I think that Frans also complained about seeing them in spandex. LOL. There could be a lot of truth in cyclists spoiling it for themselves. I made a bike trip once riding through the most traffic and people congested part of Tokyo, a combination of reaching a certain destination and my buddy and I looking for beer places along the way. i was totally amazed at the politeness of drivers when riding there, no problem whatsoever. More polite than on my home turf, and that is how people generally survive when living in a city like that, by developing patience. Then the bike boom thing happened and bike sales soared. Now I hear that it is a little war going on between cars and cyclists in the cities. Cars are supposed to acquiesce to the more vulnerable bikes, as bikes are supposed to do to pedestrians, but it is understandable that car drivers could get frustrated with cyclist being all over the road in a helter-skelter fashion. Lots of people ride like that in their own little world, and not obeying laws. It can ruin the atmosphere.

Well, lawdy lawdy I finally got out on my bike, gotta say it was sublime. P/u truck was in the shop so I got all around town tonite doing errands by bike and even capped it off with a quick dinner by the water. Damn, it was a high, seeing all the sights, traveling free, and getting good exercise with the wind in your face. And wow, I was reminded that bikes are fiendishly efficient. The gears are virtually silent and work like magic. There's nothing like a bit of high speed downhill after working hard on the flats and uphills. Gotta do this more often!!

5 miles every day, imo that's a rock solid workout.

Edit- do you every shake it up and carry weight(s) with you?

Yeah, us old guys go hard, but we gotta go hard in our own exacting ways, or something will fall off:lol:

Biking keeps you in touch with the same sensations as when riding when a kid. Helps you to stay young.

Yeah, us old guys go hard, but we gotta go hard in our own exacting ways, or something will fall off:lol:

Exactly!
I can still do treework and log with the best of them and karate works fine as well, but I think if I tried to play soccer, or something like that; I'd hurt myself badly.

It feels like the stuff one has always done, one can do, but anything else, better be careful.

Awesome pics!

Biking rocks!!

That's cool. I think the trailer needs a mud guard though, or your pup might want to ride facing backwards.

I noticed that too. I suspect Nick goes slow and maybe not too far with that fella.

I've been biking a fair amount lately, it is insanely cool and fun, ftr, lol!

A friend of mine has a big party every year to watch the big fireworks show. Lots of people go to the area to watch, so the road was sorely congested, stopped dead basically. I could scoot around everything on my bike and make it there very efficiently. It wasn't the only reason, there were liquid intoxicants being served. A great fireworks display as usual, the finale was suzzzpaktukular, and no missiles went astray and hit anyone, and nobody drowned in the river like one did last year.

Back