That time of year again (collections)

All my work is verbal as well, except for most commercial properties. They usually want written bids.
I figure a man's word is his bond, and if he's planning on ripping me off then a piece of paper isn't going to stop him.

I love a good detailed written out bid to make subjective pruning more objective and hard to argue. Do you guys just charge even numbers and then take out sales tax too if its verbal?? I also like to itemize items on a written bid so they can possibly pick and choose if they want my services just not everything they had in mind this go around. Jeez tons of reasons for written bids, having said that my repeat customers either get verbal or an hourly rate from me.

The staff directory at the university site doesn't show an email for her? It occurs that letting her know that some information on the situation has been sent to her employer, might be rather embarrassing for the woman. They are big on ethical practices they say.

Ugh, good luck Paul. It was because of this same problem that I started requiring all my customers to sign the bid form saying they agreed to pay that amount. But it's still only enforceable if you sue them in small claims court. Why is it always the people who can most afford to pay that end up stiffing you?

Maybe because thats how they make money, by not spending it:dur:

I like the "return to original condition" idea, start by returning the chips. By the time you return with the log I am pretty sure the tenant will have contacted the owner! We only sign contacts on larger jobs (over 5K) haven't had an issue since 2001.

I'm with Sqwerl and others that a person's word is their bond, so I choose to not do contracts if I don't have to.

It's been my experience with the legal system that:
1. if you have a signed contract, your chances of winning are 50%. No contract, the chances drop to zero.
2. the time and anxiety will cost more than you get back in $$
3. if you take revenge (drop a tree on her house, harass her at work), you will get nothing, plus you'll have to pay her for "damages."

What worked best for me was soft persistence (water dropping on a stone theory), where I just kept calling/leaving messages/sending bills.

I'd mark the outside of the envelope PAST DUE! and accidentally leave in on her neighbors' door. :D

How do you find out who that is?

I generally get the insurance company's name when it insurance work. I'd heard of Allstate being a problematic company, trying to reduce the payment after work is completed when done on a verbal contract. I'd like to talk to the insurance agent myself, if its possible, and its a bigger job (any job that I couldn't afford to eat the cost).

If I were figuring dollars per hour, I'd start trying with the big companies, State Farm, Allstate, Farmers, whoever.

Well Shoot. Paul.

What a wake up, I'm a verbal/handshake person too.
I keep it all in a black calendar datebook.

As far as collecting.
I agree, Just send Rob.

Devious, I like it. It doesn't involve shooting anyone or anything, makes me think someone else is logged in as Erik.

I still don't know what's so devious about marking a bill past due and leaving it on the neighbors door.

I'm super dense at times.

You could leave a copy of the bill on ALL her neighbor's doors. Then print up a few hundred and go hand them out to the staff at the college where she works.

Place on the windshields of cars at the campus with her picture you may have gotten from staff photos from the college.....

"Have you seen this woman? Her bill is terribly overdue and her insurance company said she had received a check for the work performed. We are terribly worried about her well being. Call 1-555-555-1212 to let us know if she is alive and well and where we might find her to comfort our concerned minds."

My thoughts were if he couldn't take her to a real court... try her dumb ass in the court of public opinion. ;) I'd sure as hell be embarrassed if my neighbors thought I was a deadbeat.

Back