thank you

Welcome to the group, Guy. I truly enjoyed the story you shared.

Some of our best evenings are spent around the fire, re-telling tree stories from our adventures.....such as the time my son-in-law fouled up and put a twist in his friction saver and couldn't figure out why I was able to climb, but he couldn't. He thought....for an entire day.....that I was some sort of superman. LOL It wasn't until I pointed out to him that he had crossed the line when installing his friction saver that he finally figured out that I'm just as human as he is. Great times.

Enjoy your time here. Learn new things. Ask questions......always with the goal of safety in mind.

Welcome aboard.

Joel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you all for the welcomes and kind words. I appreciate it. There is a big part to the story that I didn't mention because I wanted to talk to my wife first. She isn't a fan of the Internet and posting things for all to see, but gave me her blessing on this. My friend who passed was her brother. And while he was teaching me he was teaching her also. She isn't as obsessed with it as me, she's happy with Blakes hitch.and being able to go up and down, but really enjoyed the time spent. It was great for all of us and it's something me and her can remember, share, and continue doing together. We would all climb together for a few hours and then like Joel said make a little fire and talk about what we did right or wrong and the next steps. Climbing gave us all a goal to focus on. Just wanted to share that part. Now me and her sit and talk about it and remember key phrases he would say

Like tie , dress, and set. I think that one is carved in my brain! Hats off to all of you who do this every day and make a living. Nothing is truly appreciated until you actually try doing it!

You are talking to folks here who understand your words...glad your wife got to share some of her brother's love of climbing. I am sure that will always be special for her.

Guy, something I forgot to mention in my other post is - that climbing is, for the most part, a solitary activity.That your brother in law was given the chance to share with others what he had spent so much time (most likely) doing alone, that's what I found special about this, that he was given the chance to share that part of himself that some will likely never share. Cheers

Yep Chris I'm figuring out that it seems to be a mainly solitary activity. My friends and family look at me like I'm nuts when I talk about it. My kids have that " uh-oh pops lost it " look in their eyes when I bring it up. I love it . It's the most challenging thing physically, and mentally I've ever done. Good for the spirit too!

Back