Tennis Elbow

Oh, that's quite okay, Che. I had it so bad at the time I don't think anything other than lots or R&R would help. The cortisone shots didn't even make a bit of difference. Only thing that finally helped, as with every other ache and pain, was lots of time.

The classic prescription is RICE...rest, ice, compression, elevation (the elevation part applies more to a sprained ankle). Tennis elbow is lateral epicondylitis...inflammation from (hopefully) microtears in the tendon...either at the musculo-tendinous area (where muscle and tendon meet) or at the bony prominence of the epicondyle of the elbow. The tendon is probably injured where it meets muscle or bone. Either way, it needs time to heal...the rest is important but only for the first 48 hours or so after the injury. After that, the body is producing inflammation to aid the healing process...it lays down "ground substance" that is the basis for collagen, the material that is the basis for the healed area. It is important for there to be some light tension in the area being healed so that the collagen "models" correctly, so that the fibers of the healed tendon are aligned properly. Light stretching and exercise during the healing phase produce properly structured tendon. Studies done on mice that were intentionally injured, healed and then dissected showed no discernible difference between healed tendon and uninjured tendon.

There is a good chance you might need deep cross friction massage (perpendicular to the direction of the tendon fibers) to break down any scar tissue that has formed improperly. If healing does not occur correctly you basically get a gnarly spot in the tendon that is tight and subject to more microtears...and more inflammation. It is easy for it to become chronic inflammation.

I read a good bit about tendon injuries back in the 80's when I was having trouble with a triceps tendon and some tennis elbow, too. I read Cyriax (credited as the proponent of deep tissue massage), O'Donoghue (sports med doc) and a small green book about how tendons heal (probably lots of info on the web now).

Ice it whenever possible (freeze a paper dixie cup to make an ice chunk you can massage with), use cross friction massage, stretch the area and do light exercises (wrist/forearm rotations with light weight - Thor's hammer, etc.)

Good luck.

I'm thinking about maybe getting stung. I've had it for quite awhile now. I use the arm band thingy, one with the lump in it that you can position right over the tendon. Mine is slowly getting a bit better. I can't run saw without my arm strap though, all the difference in the world.

Ice helps me alot too.

It sucks bigtime.:(

Apiatherapy....lots of stuff on the web. It worked for me. I just would go over the hive and grab a bee by the wings with my left hand and hold it against my right elbow till it stung me. I leave the stinger in for a few minutes. When I had t-nitis real bad I did like three stings every four to five days.

I called my friend up, the tennis player physical fitness guy. He said that rest is important, and cooling it with ice or a cold patch, try not to put any strain on it. Anti-inflamatory cream can help for immediate relief, a prescription one or a good over the counter type, but it's likely to only give short term relief at best, when feeling discomfort.

The problem as he described, is that you've weakened the tendon, through long term over use, or a sudden strain, and now that you've done that, the likelihood is that you are going to be susceptible to this injury reocuring from now on. You need to start doing exercises to strengthen the tendon and supporting muscles, but first you have to determine which tendon, above or below the elbow has been affected. Where exactly is the pain? That should tell you what set of exercises you should do, once the pain has gone away, starting light and moving up to more strenuous. He mentioned sitting at a table and flexing your arm while holding a weight, but once again, the exercise need to be appropriate for the area that has been weakened. By strengthening, you should become less prone to injury again. He also suggested that you should try and compensate for the weakened tendon by learning new habits when using your arm, in ways that are easier on your elbow, the way you lift, reach out to grab, etc., as much as possible.

Given the nature of your work and the requirements you put on your arms, it appears to be a long term consideration you have there, MB. One that is going to require a conscious effort over time to get much improvement and stability. Starting to strengthen the area as soon as you can, once the pain goes away, should help the condition from becoming worse. That's what he said.

I can ask him about specific exercises if you want. You would need to tell me where exactly is the pain, so that I can relay it to him.

Hope it mends quick.

That's all good advice, from everyone.

One thing, it occurs sometimes after you've done something different to normal or not for a while, in that case it's not too bad.

That ice trick with the dixie cup is great!

The soccer girls used it, and when I injured my bicep, my PT got me started using it. They told me that since it's ice directly on your skin to use it for only 10 minutes at a time. I would store a bunch in the freezer when I was hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Specifically, it's the tendons that affect my pointer finger - the finger that operates the trigger of the saw. It hurts to press down the button on a can of deodorant.
For a buck, I bought a heavy duty O ring from a place here in town. It's giving me some relief.

It's tendinidus and it sucks! I've had it for a while now. If I don't wear my strap thingy on my forearm I have zero hand strength. Just look at my avatar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I bought a fancy Nike tennis elbow strap gizmo, it works way better than the free o ring.

No advice from your buddy, Jay?

TEBB2-big.jpg

Sorry, have ben attending to pressing affairs, will call him today. May not be until monday that he can be reached.

Pretty fancy. I know they work, but I remember wondering if it was a bad thing to be working that muscle (ligament?) hard just because the strap allows you to. As soon as you take the thing off, the pain is right there if you use it again.

I wondered if the healing process was still going on as normal cuz the strap stabilized that end, OR....is rest still recommended even though you can work it without the horrible pain?

Just wondering..................... :|:

Either way, good that you're getting some relief, Butch.

Back