tannic acid

Around here the cypress have high tannic acid content. If there's lots of cypress around a lake, the tannic acid will stain the water brown.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks for the replies, oak l can get, cypress would be hard for me to get around here

Where I live, N. Ca., most of the native tannins are leached out of the leaves and needles. And in the forested areas with deep top soil the tannins are captured by the organic layer, and the streams run clear. But in the serpentine and sandy soils with thin top soil strata the tannins pass through and the water in the streams of those areas run brownish. Real hard on house hold water systems too.

umm, Walnut. Ya'll shoulda known that one :) Walnut husks was used to tan leather back in the day.
Melts horses hooves.

Wegot walnut trees all over here in Kansas. The east part any ways.

Frans is right about the effect on horses. I was learning the Farrier bizz & the stable I was at one day had just taken a load of chips for bedding.

2 horses came up bad lame from walnut chips.

Of all the different woods I have had on the turning lathe, Hickory has been the worst, when it comes to tannin.
When I turn it wet, it reacts with the iron ions on the surface of the turning gouges and makes everything dark blue. The last log I converted into saladbowls, I had blue hands for about a week afterwards.

Last edited:
Back