T-Side Figure Eight???

• Thread starter Hobby Climber
  • Start date
  • Replies 57
  • Views 9K
H

Hobby Climber

Can anyone tell me sells one of these T-side figure eights? (RQ3 36Kn)

I like the design concept and would like to try one out some time!

Thanks in advance,

HC

Attachments

• P3010767.jpg
    P3010767.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 186
That's the one I use...it is indeed the best eared 8 going, by a large margin.

Didn't you pm me about a supplier before, Bob? Did I not reply? If so, my deepest apologies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's the one I use...it is indeed the best eared 8 going, by a large margin.

Didn't you pm me about a supplier before, Bob? Did I not reply? If so, my deepest apologies.
-------------------

Mr. B.,

You DID send me that info Mr. B. I wrote it down & I can't find it anywhere. Even the page on the net where I got this picture from didn`t have an address or link to a supplier.

If you still have a name, address, Ph.No., or web page etc. of a supplier that sells this (RQ3 T-side Fig.8), I`d be in your debt sir!

Thanks,

HC

Well what do ya know... I had a look at my old PM`s and guess what I found.

It was the link that Burnham had sent me a while ago.

Here is the answer to my question that started this post. All thanks to Burnham.

www.rescuesource.com Click Hardware & then Descenders. Its in there, ya just have to look for it! (RQ3)

Thanks again Mr. B.,

HC

Attachments

• FE2120N-small.jpg
    FE2120N-small.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 141
I was wondering if any of you use the Pirana. I think it is a vast improvement over the standard 8 and though not as knarly as the 8 with cleats, the side hooks do work similarly.

What really surprised me was the little black rubber do-hickey in the carabiner hole locks the carabiner solidly in place. So when it comes time to attaching the rope you're not chasing it around. It is also designed to clip the line through the carabiner which prevents the girth hitch syndrome.

It has a lot of adjustability for the speed of descent.

Dave

Attachments

• FE3000.jpg
    FE3000.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 133
Like the T8, the Pirahna has similar features, works great, but the dog gone thing is built like a feather. I made three descents out of the Giant Spruce and it was exhibiting a groove in the main wear points.

If Petzel built it with a little more metal it would be a lot better. Just my opinion.

If Petzel built it with a little more metal it would be a lot better. Just my opinion.

The voice of experience...now if only Petzel will listen. I don't understand the obsession with lightness when it comes at the expense of longevity, in this instance. You could double the metal and it would still be as light as a feather.

Dave

To me they looked like something built for the indoor wall climbing crowd.
That is what kept me from making the purchase.

Oh ya. But I have always been interested in one I could lock off safely & quick.

This may sound contradictory, because I totally agree with Gerry that the Piranha could be made better, for the average limb jockey that uses such a device on occasion as opposed to industrially, the Piranha works very well. Like I said, a vast improvement over a standard 8.

I use mine only occasionally so the fact that it is light weight and doesn't jangle on my saddle are pluses. If I were doing 200 ft rapels, I would want something totally different.

Dave

dirty ropes eat gear....period. I have rapped miles of rope with aluminum with no problems, including a retreat from halfway up El Cap....that sucked:cry:

Well that's what those descenders are, why wouldn't you buy them.
Im still giving them a gander. There are isues with them. To big to leave on my saddle all the time or some dont work as well with some one my size.

The 8 hockels the line. Not so much if the line is hanging free, but if it's laying on the ground in a bunch or in a bag and not allowed to rotate. can make for a real knotted up affair the last 15-20 feet of a long descent.

A couple times I couldn't make it to the ground because of the wad bunched up between the eight and the ground. Holding on with one hand and trying to shake out the tangles.

Seems every device has its good and bad points.

Gerry turned me on to the Anthron which I like alot. But.... Damm thing is tricky to load the rope onto. You have to pay attention setting it up.

Gerry turned me on to the Anthron which I like alot. But.... Damm thing is tricky to load the rope onto. You have to pay attention setting it up.
-- ---------------------------------------

The "anthron" descender: see below.

I kinda like the K.I.S.S. concept myself!

HC

Attachments

• anthron_descender.jpg
    anthron_descender.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 69
I like a munter on a biner. An extra biner is always on my saddle, and the amount of time I use it, I don't have to worry about an 8 clanging around on my saddle.

Back