T-Side Figure Eight???

• Thread starter Hobby Climber
  • Start date
  • Replies 57
  • Views 9K
Munter will twist the SHIT outta your rope......try an ATC...very little twist:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks interesting this ATC thing. But how do you tie it off is the point.

The idea of the Side or T-Side ears on the Fif.8 is to be able to tie off quickly & easily!

Yes the ATC looks like it would be great for long descents withoug much line twist but there is no way to tie off to hold a position with this device. Then again , I've never uses one and I stand to be corrected if wrong.

HC

Attachments

• BLK.jpg
    BLK.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 68
  • el.jpg
    el.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 69
no twist.....I dont believe it

Hobby, If I have to stop I do leg wraps......I know its a PITA but the device is super small, light and works on skinny ropes. I use either the ATC or the Mammut Fuse.

no twist.....I dont believe it

Hobby, If I have to stop I do leg wraps......I know its a PITA but the device is super small, light and works on skinny ropes. I use either the ATC or the Mammut Fuse.
------------------------

NoBivy,

Please add a picture so everyone doesn't have to look it up if they never saw one before. (see below - Mammut Fuse)

Just wondering what any of those you mentioned are rated at (kN?).

I see it can be used either with single or Dbl line...cool.

On smaler lines it look OK but I'm a 1/2" line kinda guy so I'm leaning twards the T-Side FIg.8 for tree work. But thats just me.

HC

Attachments

• mammut_fuse_belay_device_lg.jpg
    mammut_fuse_belay_device_lg.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 66
sorry...
these belay devices are plenty strong, dont know about the KN rating....may be a little tight with fat 1/2 ropes

sorry...
these belay devices are plenty strong, dont know about the KN rating....may be a little tight with fat 1/2 ropes

I sometimes use the Trango Jaws

jaws.jpg

I swear with half inch line you can let go and it will hold you! You have to feed the rope into the device to descend.

love
nick

I don't know why anyone would use them at all unless it was for a 100' plus descent. A simple figure 8 will do the job, most of the time.

Never a twist with a gri gri.
And talk about supa easy lock off.
Plus it will hold a factor 2 fall .
Not made for large dia. ropes though

I hardly ever use a descender as the trees I climb are mostly shorter than 40'. When I was a heli-rappeler we used something called a Sky Genie that is supposed to be idiot proof. We had a few idiots put it to the test. No one died but you can still auger in if you are not bright.

Attachments

• PIC00307.jpg
    PIC00307.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 62
  • PIC00308.jpg
    PIC00308.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 61
OM,

I see these descenders used mostly with the window washing crews in my area.

HC

I like a munter on a biner. An extra biner is always on my saddle, and the amount of time I use it, I don't have to worry about an 8 clanging around on my saddle.

me to, its so rare i need to come down single line i just throw a muenter. dont even keep and extra biner, just un hook my spilt tail and go

The only time I come down single line is if there is a pull line on a spar, sometimes I will zip down on that if I didn't leave a nub for my DRT setup to come down on.

I don't know why anyone would use them at all unless it was for a 100' plus descent. A simple figure 8 will do the job, most of the time.
For single line.Tying a running bowline around a snag & attaching the descender to your saddle for throwing chunks.
Much safer than just throwing your snap & climb line around the snag.

I was on the phone the other day with a fellow who knows the guy(& company) that designed and makes the T-Side Fig-8.

It was first designed for rescue work but I think it would be a great tool for the tree industry! I'm in the process of seeing if I can make this happen. This company is sending me some info about this tool and I'll share with you once I get it.

I'll keep ya posted.

BTW, Just how many of you guys would be interested in a "T-Side fig-8" for tree work???

I'm on a quest once again!;)

Bob

Attachments

• P10_FE2120N_1.jpg
    P10_FE2120N_1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 48
Back