Surf Fishing

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/info/index.jsp?categoryId=222925

I prefer an 8-9ft. med-heavy spinning rod. no need to spend big money on a rod, I get mine off the shelf at wal-mart (I have some very expensive rods too but for surf casting go cheap) For an inexpensive saltwater reel, you can't go wrong with Penn. It'll cost you 50 bucks but it will last a lifetime. There are new hybrid types of fishing line that are super thin and super strong. You're gonna want to get something 12-20 lb test, the hybrid line in this strength will be in the 6-8lb test diameter, which means you'll be able to get alot more onto the spool and chuck 1-2-3 oz well over 100yards.

for lures my 'ol standby is an acme castmaster, get at least two of each in different sizes, try different ones until you find one that works best.

If the blues are in you're gonna want to use a steel leader, 6-8in is probably best, stay away from the longer ones they'll just f@ck up the lure action.

Great points, until the lures! I preffer two hooks with bait, Calamari seems to work best from my experiance.
I am an OAF, longer than 7', I have no control over the rod!
And I would go at least 30# test, but I do a lot of freshwater catfishing, and know what they do to 15#, and a 3# shark fights like an 18# cat!!!
But I like to see what I am fighting in the end, not rigging again wondering!!!
I use 50# on all of my Cat poles now FYI!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How "cheap" a pole is OK? Go to the beach once a year.

How "cheap" a pole is OK? Go to the beach once a year.

$25-30 should do you alright.

I KNOW more expensive rods are better, but for someone who is only going to fish once and a while wal-mart will do just fine.

Another thing you'll hear from purists is that the rod HAS to be a one piece, I say BS, two piece will travel better, and if it travels better you'll be more likely to take it with you.

FWIW the rod I usually take to the beach with me is not a surf caster at all. I prefer a lightweight inshore rig. From now untill October I can catch blues in the 7-10lb range all day long......:)

My first real "Surf" setup was bought at a Piggleywiggley in FL. 8ft. Shakespear setup. I think $25 with 15# test. I bought a spool of 30# and respooled it (I have bad luck with the cheap line they put on) and had a BLAST!!!!!!

I totally agree with the two piece poles!! I don't think you loose any strength or feel with them, and they are SO much better to travel with!

I'm going to be in North Carolina at its southern most point in the second week of September for my honeymoon. I have a nice saltwater spinning reel and a decent 8 or 9' rod I'll be using for some surf fishing.

What time are the blues running? I have 20lbs tes line and I'm wondering if I need to buy leaders for these fish. I haven't fished much at all since I moved closer to the Atlantic but I'm looking to get back into fishing.

I plan on using one or two hook combo and some squid, shrimp or what ever I can find at the local bait store. Is there a better setup I could use? Then put a 2-3 Oz. weight at the end and let her rip. I don't want to get too complicated because I'll have a good buzz.

Put on the thickest neopren skin suits, strap on a bait belt, takle and a pole, then float out fishing for Stripper just using the suit for bouyancy.
Sharks will be the least of you're concerns!

Hmmm. I think these persons may be in the wrong venue.:P

What time are the blues running? I have 20lbs tes line and I'm wondering if I need to buy leaders for these fish.

Should be good fishing when you are there, check with the bait shop for tides and best places to catch 'em. You'll definately need steel leaders, but 20lb line should be fine, be sure your drag is set correctly!

As far as using bait for blues, I wouldn't bother, too much of a hassel. Bluefish will attack anything that moves, so lures are the way to go IMHO..(sturdy, metal, lures, those suckers got some sharp teeth)

Using leaders depends on how far your casting and what size leads, for surf fishing I like 3oz

The thing about Bluefish is this they're either their or their not..

I caught 50 or so one afternoon, next day not a bite , nowhere to be seen..

John,

You should ask Tom about Cumberland island. It's an island off of Georgia or South Carolina. ...big live oaks, horses, not many people... Tom takes off for that place all the time. You should ask him about it.

Back