Stump grinder injury

I never saw those pics...

brendon..i have nightmares about yours though

I am thinking someone else may have left it running, not him.

Yes, it was someone else that left it and Jim backed into it as he was raking. I forget exactly why he forgot how close he was to the machine. I also don't think the clutch was engaged - it was just free spinning and idling down. I'm thinking Jim assumed the operator was finished cuz Jim saw him away from the machine.

So there he was, raking, assuming the stump grinder was not spinning, and he just mosied into it.

Always lower the spinning wheel into the grindings to stop the motion. ALWAYS.

Most jobs if you mess up you have a tube of white out to fix it, not this one. I was just thinking yesterday as I was moving HUGE pieces of wood around all day what a miracle it is that all of that mass came out of yards and not 1 piece got away from us and did damage. I am starting to feel like if you roll the dice you will pay the price, ie if you do it enough then laws of average dictate 1 time you will get bit.

My big fear of late is the crane outriggers being on a sinkhole or something... Paranoia is strong in this one Luke.... I even changed out the 2 biners on my hitch climber to steel biners and join them with a piece of cordage so if the aluminum frame breaks I dont fall. After all the research I did developing the Wraptors aluminum worries me as it doesnt have an infinite service life.

You have a good fear, i watched Gator tree service a couple years back topple a crane, I was working literally 2 blocks away.

I got a bunch of pictures of that crane after the crowds left for the night. We diagnosed the cause of the accident right here on the forum. Pretty simple really, and a combination of errors and oversights led to the inevitable result.

And when Luke had Joe McLaughlin call me one day about a year later to come help them on a job, as soon as I found out who it was I said "I'm sorry but you must have dialed the wrong number" and hung up on him. I refuse to work for scumbags like him. Why should I help evil, crooked assholes look good with my talents and abilities? I won't let them put their name on my work.

No kidding, I was in a live oak roping out an 800 limb went it went. That scared the crap out of me because 60 percent of my work is crane work.

Back