Stihl saw chain question re MS200T

Burnham

Woods walker
I want to know the opinions held by users of two different Stihl saw chains that are available for the MS200...Picco Micro (PM1) and Picco Micro Comfort 3 (PMC3).

PM1 is labeled as having an increased potential for kickback. PMC3 is labeled a low kickback chain. My experience with other low kickback chains has been less than sterling, in the past. But the Stihl website claims that PMC3 is faster cutting, smoother, and better for bore cuts that PM1.

What do y'all think, or know for that matter?

I've never used the PMC3 chain, but I agree that all of the so-called "low kickback" chains are poor performers in the field. Like many other safety devices, they reduce productivity and are made to protect ignorant users from themselves.

Burnham, you might be confused. The 63-PM1 is the picco micro safety chain with the triple humps on the tie straps. The 63-PM is the picco micro non-safety chain with normal tie straps.
The 63-PMC3 is the newest style from Stihl. It does not look like safety chain but supposedly is. I have not used it in that size yet.

I have used the full size 3/8 (33RSC3) and I cannot visually distinguish it from the regular 33RS non-safety chain. The 33RSC3 is just as fast and slightly smoother than 33RS.

I use the 63pm but I bought some oregon 91vx i think? new stuff. It cuts just as fast if not a little faster than the 63pm, not as much tooth length on the oregon though. Doesn't last as long.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Brian...I most certainly could be well and truly confused :|: .

I just looked carefully again at the Stihl USA website. It does not display the PM1, only the PM and the PMC3. It calls the PMC3 "the successor to PM1", so I supppose that might mean that the PM1 has bit the dust...probably a good thing. From the Stihl website info I mistakenly thought that PM and PM1 were the same thing. Thanks for straightening me out.

The PMC3 has a weird bump or spur on the top rear portion of the drive links that overlaps and matches the height of the raker on the cutter link. Odd looking. I think you'd have to file both down when setting depth of cut. No way to avoid it, really.

Well in that case, just stick with the PM. It's all I use, I buy it by the roll.

On the other hand, if you are buying it for employees then you might be better off getting the PMC3. 99% of users never file the rakers anyway (many of the tree guys I know don't even file the teeth).

I might just get a loop of both for the heck of it and try them side by side. Thanks for the input.

I'd still like to hear from anyone who has used the PMC3.

I use the 63pm but I bought some oregon 91vx i think? new stuff. It cuts just as fast if not a little faster than the 63pm, not as much tooth length on the oregon though. Doesn't last as long.

I looked at that stuff, too. I have no real rub with Oregon chain, but just prefer Stihl chain in general. Thanks, Jim.

Burnham, I have not used the PMC3 but by way of insight regarding chains using wide rakers or rakerbumps on the tie straps I have used Oregon (Vanguard) and Sabre chains using that anti kickback theory. They work very well for boring, cut very smoothly and are a little bit of a pain (not too onerous) to set the depth gauges on.

I took the pmc3 off of my buddies 200t and put on the pm. He is a lineman and said it cut way to slow for him. In most cases I have found that if it is anti kickback it is also anti-cut. I think he put the pmc3 in his tool kit for some nasty stuff he might run into knowing he is about to trash a chain for good.

Any Stihl chain ending in a number is low kick back, with the exception of the 61PMN chain these are all low kick back. I'll try to explain the number and letter thing. The basics are:
Letters:
P= Picco
M= Micro
N= Narrow
R= Rapid
S= Super
C= comfort: this is the newest chain put out by Stihl it has the cutters angled back slightly, suppose to reduce vibration
First Numbers: Refer to pitch
1= 1/4"
2= .325
3= 3/8"
4= .404
6= 3/8 used only to refer to the PM chains
Second number: Refers to gauge
1= 43ga
3= 50ga
5= 58ga
6=63ga
There are more but for most of you these will be the most common.
Hope this helps you guys out. If anyone has any questions I'll answer them the best I can.
See Ya
Mike

Good info there Chisel, I got a couple of real nice chain charts from Madsens for stihl and oregon chain. Most people dont realize how many different types/styles of chains are out there.

Yeah Oregon is a whole diffent system. I would have get out the book to explain it. Same with Carlton, Winsor, and a few others.

Any Stihl chain ending in a number is low kick back, with the exception of the 61PMN chain these are all low kick back. I'll try to explain the number and letter thing. The basics are:
Letters:
P= Picco
M= Micro
N= Narrow
R= Rapid
S= Super
C= comfort: this is the newest chain put out by Stihl it has the cutters angled back slightly, suppose to reduce vibration
First Numbers: Refer to pitch
1= 1/4"
2= .325
3= 3/8"
4= .404
6= 3/8 used only to refer to the PM chains
Second number: Refers to gauge
1= 43ga
3= 50ga
5= 58ga
6=63ga
There are more but for most of you these will be the most common.
Hope this helps you guys out. If anyone has any questions I'll answer them the best I can.
See Ya
Mike

forgot one ;)

Yeah I did don't want to piss off the Jonsered guys. There I fixed it, thanks Jim.

You got it, Brendon. :thumbup:

Just add the link count at the end. For a 14" bar on your 200T you would ask for 63PM-50. For a 16" you want 63PM-55 (I think).
A 24" bar on your 460 would wear 33RS-84 and a 28" would wear 33RS-91.

I deal with it everyday so I have a slight advantage. It's not to hard 63PM=
3/8 50ga picco micro I need to go back and add more explainations. Such as that picco is a low profile cutter. But yeah that is right, but on the other hand you can run a 63PM chain on a 440, it just won't cut as fast as the 33 or 36 will.

That's right Brian, this is the same for all chains. The three things about chain are pitch, gauge, and driver count.

skwerl isn't a 28" 92 links? Been a couple years since i made chains. Used to do it for days at a time. Talk about boring!

I switched to Oregon VX 3/8 - .050 on my 200T a while back. No complaints.

That chain is the same as the 91VS, they just just changed the way they grind the cutter angle.

Back