Stihl saw chain question re MS200T

so whats the prob with large rakers? just more to file? and the drivers?

The large rakers take up space for chip transport, and slows down borecutting (they get in the way of the cutters at the bar tip).

Small ramps on the drivers (Oregon LP etc) take up about take up about the same space, but allows for better borecutting.

Large rakers, combined with large ramps......:cry: :whine:

Best chains??? Stihl RSK, then RSC, and then Oregon LP - but the differences is too small to talk about.....

i just finished off my roll of oregon chain and asked my dealer what they reccomend i try in stihl chain. he said 36RSL. what do you guys think of this chain? and 270 bucks!

I believe the RSL is a square ground square tooth chain. RS is the round filed square tooth chain.....

RSL is a 3/8" pitch Square ground chisel chain, in .063 gauge.

What application is it for?

That's not a bad price. I think Wood's logging supply over by Gary in Washington is a few dollars cheaper, but it's not enough difference to be worth the drive. I'd be happy to be able to buy a roll of Stihl RS for less than $300.

BB's prices are the same as my local ripoff dealer prices, which is why I pay another forum member to buy my chain for me at his local dealer and UPS it to me. I still save over $100 per roll that way.

The Stihl square grind full skip is the best chain I think I've cut with but you do have to have a square grinder to sharpen it.

BB's prices are the same as my local ripoff dealer prices, which is why I pay another forum member to buy my chain for me at his local dealer and UPS it to me. I still save over $100 per roll that way.

Easy on calling someone a rip off! I give 10-15% off for buying a reel of chain! I said those prices are retail............:X

$200 markup on a roll of chain is a ripoff IMO. You stated a price and I said it was the same as my local ripoff dealers, which is why I get the EXACT SAME CHAIN for $200 cheaper and I still save $150 after having it shipped UPS across the country.

$438 minus 10% is still a ripoff when another dealer can sell the same chain for $225 and still make money.

Sure thing Skwerl. I Pay $275 per roll! I would like this delaers name and number and ill have a friend do the same for me. Actually I will buy all my chains from him because he obviously has a HUGE stock of older cheaper priced chain.

RSL is a 3/8" pitch Square ground chisel chain, in .063 gauge.

What application is it for?

its for my saws from 260's-660's. dang i thought 270 bucks was bad!! better buy 2 before the steel prices catch up!

rip off? i dont know brian, nothing wrong with making good money, i try to:) and your going around him, if he doesnt like that he can lower his price!

Yes. Even if you buy the square ground, you can file it with a round file. My current roll of 33RSLK is square ground and I tried square filing it, but it's a PITA and not any faster cutting for me. So now I just round file it right from the get go with no issues, even on the first sharpening.

33 is .050 gauge.
36 is .063 gauge

HAH! I just found a local Stihl dealer that sells Stihl chain for $300 per roll. I can FINALLY buy it at a reasonable price locally instead of having to bother a friend to purchase and ship it from across the country. :D

I wish I could buy it at a reasonable price.

I bought some collosal amount of chit in there one day (I think a $11.7k Exmark, a 660, 440, and a 200T) and asked how much a roll of chain would cost. I saw they paid something like $260-270 and yet they wanted me to pay full price.

I might have to bug Gary after I get Bank of America sucking a dry teet late this month early/mid next!

Back