Stihl saw chain question re MS200T

skwerl isn't a 28" 92 links? Been a couple years since i made chains. Used to do it for days at a time. Talk about boring!

I think there is some variation depending on the brand of saw and/or bar you're using. According to my Bailey's catalog there are 91-93 links for a 28" bar. My Husky 372 takes 93 with the GB bars but only 92 with the Windsor and Oregon bars.

Most bars will have the chain length stamped on the bar.

You guys are right the driver count can very for different saws, and some are the same. Where a MS 200T 14" uses a 50 driver count chain, a Homelite Super XL2 14" might use a 52 driver count chain.
See Ya
Mike

Blinky, FWIW, I have run plenty of Oregon 91series chains-like you -No complaints. However, as much as i like to poke fun at Stihl and tout other saws I must admit that Stihl makes the very best saw chain-at least instandard 3/8ths. I have only run a loop or 2 of STihl 3/8ths low profile(Picco Micro in their terminology) I started running Carlton years ago and very much prefer it to Oregon 91-The Carlton low pro is more agressive (a fact your knee might not appreciate) AND has about 40% more tooth in each cutter.

Thanks for that Justin, I'll give Carlton lo pro a try. Stihl does make great chain but around here it's double the price of Oregon.

Burnham, you might be confused. The 63-PM1 is the picco micro safety chain with the triple humps on the tie straps. The 63-PM is the picco micro non-safety chain with normal tie straps.
The 63-PMC3 is the newest style from Stihl. It does not look like safety chain but supposedly is. I have not used it in that size yet.

I have used the full size 3/8 (33RSC3) and I cannot visually distinguish it from the regular 33RS non-safety chain. The 33RSC3 is just as fast and slightly smoother than 33RS.

Stihl use a variant of the Oregon VP/LP/BP etc design on the PMC3 + they have adopted the Oregon low-vibe feature.

It is probably a pretty good bore-cutter when reasonably new (never used one, just studied the design).

I would still try Orego 91VX/VS, and the streight Stihl 63PM first, then the 91V and 63PMC3.

Stay a long way away from 63PM1 or 91VG.......:evil:

I have used the full size 3/8 (33RSC3) and I cannot visually distinguish it from the regular 33RS non-safety chain. The 33RSC3 is just as fast and slightly smoother than 33RS.

That sounds more like RSC than RSC3......;)

The way to tell the difference from the RS and the RSC, is the RSC will have arrows on the side straps, they are sloped and have to be installed in the right direction. I didn't get into the last number because no one here likes the low kick back chain.
1= triple hump tie strap used on the Stihl picco chain
2= triple hump tie strap used on RM chain
3= single humped drive link on the RSC chain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My head is starting to hurt...:)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Lots of good info.

Any Stihl chain ending in a number is low kick back, with the exception of the 61PMN chain these are all low kick back. I'll try to explain the number and letter thing. The basics are:
Letters:
P= Picco
M= Micro
N= Narrow
R= Rapid
S= Super
C= comfort: this is the newest chain put out by Stihl it has the cutters angled back slightly, suppose to reduce vibration
First Numbers: Refer to pitch
1= 1/4"
2= .325
3= 3/8"
4= .404
6= 3/8 used only to refer to the PM chains
Second number: Refers to gauge
1= 43ga
3= 50ga
5= 58ga
6=63ga
There are more but for most of you these will be the most common.
Hope this helps you guys out. If anyone has any questions I'll answer them the best I can.
See Ya
Mike

I'm gonna print this up and file it away for future reference. Thanks, Mike.

Yep, sorry I missed one thanks TS. Glad ya'll got my back. No problem Burnham, the others helped also, pointing out what I missed. Saw chain can get confusing, Pitch, gauge, Pro, Low Kickback, Full Chisel, Chipper, Carbide,
Square Ground, and so on. I love it when a guy comes in and ask for a chain, "what kind are you using?" He will say "I don't know they are all the same" I have a 4' length of 3/4 pitch harvester chain I will show them, and tell them trust me they are not the same.
See Ya
Mike

That fits Rocky, the RSC3 is sort of a copy of the Oregon LP, but the rakers and the ramps are both larger = lesser performance.....:/:

Imo the Oregon LP is about as good as the Stihl RSC, but they sure are different by design - Oregon LG/LGX is just a lesser design, and performs accordingly - but the margin is slight....

This is about 3/8" chains, .325 changes the story somewhat, the LG is totally out there, as it is a low-pro.

Best chains??? Stihl RSK, then RSC, and then Oregon LP - but the differences is too small to talk about.....

In 3/8 lo-pro, it obviously is between the 63PM and the Oregon 91VX/VS - but I never used any of those - and I don't care to either - .325VP (Oregon 95VP/ Husky H30) is perfect on my 339xp (has a bit more ccs and power than the MS200).

I just got banned on the AS, as I didn't agree to the "moral standards", imposed by the leadership there - but it took me a lot of posts to get banned....:big-tongue4:

It was great fun, well worth the effort - and maybe I kicked off a thought in some people!!! :evil:

AS sure likes to ban people.

Yeah, but it didn't really seem like they wanted to ban me, but ultimately I got a 1 day and a two day ban on top of each other - but they took away 4000 rep points before that - who really cares:) :D ;) :big-tongue4:

They just make fools of themselves, and the site owners wife, who started it all, by not liking to see Gypo naked, with an 088 in front of his privates....

Old picture, but not to everyone - and her morale slipped..lol

i just got my father in law 2 chains and my dealer wrote down 33rsc372 what is the 3 mean right before 72?

I don't know Willie I've never seen a chain marked like this. 33RSC is a 3/8" 50 ga. Rapid Super, (Square Shoulder, or Full Chisel) Comfort, 72 would refer to the driver count so a 33RSC-72 fits a 20" bar.
a 33RSC-372 would fit a 7' or 8' bar.
See Ya
Mike

Willie, the RSC3 is the safety chain version and 72 is the link count. Look up to Saw Troll's post a couple days ago.
That fits Rocky, the RSC3 is sort of a copy of the Oregon LP, but the rakers and the ramps are both larger = lesser performance.....

Damn I read that wrong, not allowing for the spaces, thanks Brian,. What Brian said Willie, it is a low kick back chain. It is 33RSC3-72.

oooooooooooooooh :dur: thanks, i did tell them i wanted an aggressive saftey chain for him

Damn I read that wrong, not allowing for the spaces, thanks Brian,. What Brian said Willie, it is a low kick back chain. It is 33RSC3-72.
Stihl RSC3 is sort of a copy of the concept of the Oregon LP, but they messed it up with both the large rakers of the RS/RSC/LG, and way too large ramps on the drivers into the bargain - I have not run that chain, and I don't want to either.....:evil: :roll:

...looks like it is designed by lawyers, and not sawyers.

Carlton has a similar, maybe even worse design out.....

Yeah, but it didn't really seem like they wanted to ban me, but ultimately I got a 1 day and a two day ban on top of each other - but they took away 4000 rep points before that - who really cares:) :D ;) :big-tongue4:

They just make fools of themselves, and the site owners wife, who started it all, by not liking to see Gypo naked, with an 088 in front of his privates....

Old picture, but not to everyone - and her morale slipped..lol

Sorry, Mrs AS, if you see this - they just supposed you would disapprove, and acted accordingly......:/:

...but this story is history, anyway!

Stihl RSC3 is sort of a copy of the concept of the Oregon LP, but they messed it up with both the large rakers of the RS/RSC/LG, and way too large ramps on the drivers into the bargain - I have not run that chain, and I don't want to either.....:evil: :roll:

...looks like it is designed by lawyers, and not sawyers.

Carlton has a similar, maybe even worse design out.....

Forgot to say, the original Oregon LP chains, with the slim rakers and small ramps, are just great!!! 8) 8)

Back