Stihl 500i

stig

Patron saint of bore-cutters
Waiting with bated breath for this one.
My dealer has offered me the first one he gets to test.

It has more power than a MS661 and weighs only slightly more than a MS462.

They sure make it easy for this logger to get old:).

The link shows the comparison between the different models in weight and power.

https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...-bars/0131/Petrol-chainsaws-for-forestry.aspx

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yoNyZEjX2bs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reminds me of Robert Palmer's hit single, Simply Irresistible.

Even at 2K.

Thanks Stig.

Jomo

Looks absolutely beautiful!!
Pricy but likely well worth it. I'm excited to see what it can lead to. Like if the technology will carry over and influence other saws in the next decade. If they can make an 80cc saw outcut a 90+ cc then it might be reasonable to one day see an <40 cc top handle that can hang with or outcut a 50cc.
Sorry I tend to daydream.
I hope it's made available in the US. I'm eager to read reviews after it sees a couple years of hard use.

Website says less power than 661 and 660. A ported 70cc saw would be competition for it in both weight and power. I wonder how much room for improvement there is in porting a 500i, might not be much if any, and that's a good thing in a way. It holds a tiny bit more gas than a 441, but less oil (I don't like that, I already feel Stihl tends toward too little oil much unlike Echo). Overall less fluid capacity for the CC's. So, smaller tanks save weight. They could be saving lots of weight in engine parts by strategically reducing material where it isn't needed.

EDIT:

They do claim a higher flow oiler (just watch you don't run out of oil before gas).

Plunge cut guide sight line.

Look at the crank case going up in the piston. Keeps crank case volume smaller for more efficient mix transfer. And it could help direct flow towards the ports. A big step in efficient 2 stroke tech.
500i.jpg

Looks interesting & I have seen a prototype being run. For someone like Stig, who does not run ported saws, I think it will be a big game changer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8JRM_GO4DkE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is the fuel the same, just no carb? Where do the weight savings come from. Why is this not been done, What's the breakthrough here. Cars lost their carbs years ago wh

Cool but with so much electronics not something for the average do it yourself type person to tinker with .It case you don't know electronic fuel injection can be rather complicated .
Things evolve over time. The model T Ford to what we have today .What can be done eventually will be done .The timber fellers of a bygone era used double bit axes and cross cut saws and ate plenty of pancakes for breakfast .
This thing is the reinvention of the wheel ,it may fly or end up on a shelf in some museum .Time will tell .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Because he values what little he has left of his hearing.

Sounds like fall 2019, around here.

Supposedly, Stihl doesn't want to have a problem with a too-early US release as with past models.

I'm sure Stig does wear hearing ppe. But there are certain times during the falling of certain trees where I wanted to be able to hear the tree talking. I'd pop off one muff, or pull a plug when those times arrived...

Maybe Stig does that as well. The decibels add up over time, especially for a full time faller. Even with good ppe, saws are still pretty loud. Take it to the bank, they WILL damage your hearing, eventually.

I have hearing loss in my one ear from being a gun commander. I had my one ear deffender on, the other ear I'd cover with the headset of the field battery comm system. Wasn't enough protection. Too gung ho.

When I worked offshore sometimes I'd be working in engine rooms that were so loud even two forms of ear protection was barely enough.

Brutal!

Yeah I like my stock saws just fine. They cut like a mofo and they're plenty loud as is

I'm sure Stig does wear hearing ppe. But there are certain times during the falling of certain trees where I wanted to be able to hear the tree talking. I'd pop off one muff, or pull a plug when those times arrived...

Interesting. I'll have to try listening to trees sometime and see if I can learn something. I'm serious.

I know there's times I wish I had double hearing protection when using my muffler modded saw. I can't imagine how others put up with it, standing in front without protection. I warn them before hand, then watch em wince and see how long it is before they just happen to hang back till I'm done.

Nutball, you are wise to think this way.

I'm looking for feedback on fiber breaking as the tree slowly moves to the face, as this can happen before there is discernible opening of the backcut...or the saw slightly bogging as the tree minutely shifts towards the backcut, trying to set back, because you better whack the shit out of those wedges right now or be 'effed, since you misread the lean by a tiny smidge...or a crack up high overhead when a dead branch gives way under any of a half dozen potential influences and is maybe headed down at you with death in it's teeth.

Or there is always the possibility that the always present crowd of chainsaw groupie gals are cheering and throwing their underwear at you, and you'll need to stop and take a bow :D. Wouldn't want to miss that ;).

Apologies to our much respected female members...I'll own it, a rather tasteless joke :). Thing is, the pretty boy groupies are so much more numerous and insistent, when the woman with the saw steps up to do her work :D.

This is what we have been waiting for. Electronically controlled injector instead of carb.
This and a conventional engine would be great!
This is the future! I have no doubt.

Back