Stihl 440Mag vs. 460...

• Thread starter Blinky
  • Start date
  • Replies 78
  • Views 18K
Since when did you ever drive a Duesenberg .:P

It's just an opinion Stig .What you might like maybe somone else sees differently .

Modified noisey saws might not appeal to you but some of us really enjoy them,they aren't for everybody .They don't vibrate any worse that a stock saw they are just less friendly to the ears but that's why they make ear plugs .;)

Stock saws are boring, imo. I guess it's just a personal inclination, to want to run one that's been worked on, or otherwise, and no biggee. They are louder, but it just isn't the greater decibels that you are hearing, but also the higher compression that makes a different sound from stock, as well as the better gas flow. Then there is the sound of higher revs from a lightened piston. Once your ear gets tuned to the changes that you've made and how the sound differs from stock, it makes for a different relationship with the tool.

Qualifying things like that, makes for something different from just hearing more noise. Nothing wrong with a little imagination in the mix too ;)

Then there is the sound of higher revs from a lightened piston.
Every so often you get one tuned that almost sounds like it is in resonance .It's like an afterburner kicks in .Unless you have experianced this phenominum it is hard to describe . This is elusive but attainable and every tuner in the world seeks it .

Again different strokes also once again both the 44 and 46 are very nice saws that anybody would be happy to own .

I'm with Squisher on the 441 vs. 460 choice...same weight, I'll take the better power option. 044 vs. 460 is a different equation...the 044 had as good or better power to weight ratio of any saw Stihl ever produced, hard to dismiss.

Only fly in that ointment would be missing out on the better anti-vibe mounts on the 441. If I ran a saw day in and out, lots of hours straight, that might tip the balance for me, but I don't.

Like Al says, it's just opinions and we all get to pay our money and make our choices.
:)

Which really brings up a subject.How many actually run tank after tank after tank full,all day .Not too many .

Maybe a lot of fallers don't want to hear it but a heavy duty firewood cutter will spend more actual running time that any .

With me it's cut 20 minutes- half hour then move stuff,split ,stack ,move brush or something .It's certainly less time than when I was a younger man selling the stuff . I don't think I could cut the mustard doing that any more .:(

Stock saws are boring, imo. I guess it's just a personal inclination, to want to run one that's been worked on, or otherwise, and no biggee. They are louder, but it just isn't the greater decibels that you are hearing, but also the higher compression that makes a different sound from stock, as well as the better gas flow. Then there is the sound of higher revs from a lightened piston. Once your ear gets tuned to the changes that you've made and how the sound differs from stock, it makes for a different relationship with the tool.

Qualifying things like that, makes for something different from just hearing more noise. Nothing wrong with a little imagination in the mix too ;)

Wow, that is almost poetry!

Thing is, my ears are badly frigged up from all those years of running saws, so I don't need more noise and my fingers suffer from Reynaud's syndrome, so a good anti-vibe system is paramount, too.
Those are some of the things that weigh heavily in my choice of saw.
But I can see that if you only run a saw for few hours, a really hopped up one would be fun.

And in logging season( back before the crisis, when we actually logged something!) I run a saw for 8 hrs straight every day.
season is only about 4-5 months a year now, but before the advent of the mechanical harvesters, we logged 8-10 months a year.

Other exception like Stig mentioned, I would think production minded people would opt for the saw that weighs about the same and had more power. More power, faster cut times = either fewer hours cutting or more end product. Go home sooner could translate into less vibration also in a manner

Are you guys saying that a pound difference is too minimal to make a difference, so it's basically "the same weight", or are you erring in thinking that the 440 and the 460 are the same?

I would tend to think that experience and using your head when operating a chainsaw, will gain you more time than 5ccs ever will. Throw in the variable of good saw and chain maintenance, and the time advantage due to power becomes even less defined.

I admit, I have a 440 :P

Oh...thanks, I didn't catch it that the discussion had moved over to include the 441. Same weight, then more power any day, assuming similar reliability.

The time may come but as of now, a single pound isn't even noticed. Boots, saws, saddles, just isn't in my decision making yet

It's especially that way if you have a real heavy sucker that you use from time to time. Mine is the 090G. Everything is relatively light compared to that. The 076s, a great "light" saw.

It's relative . I slung those old duffers around so long just about any half way modern saw is light to me . I don't think an 066 is that big of a thing ,some do .

In the brush or thinning trees this time of year till May, I swing the saw 5-6 hours daily ... 1 pound makes a difference period... And you will hike in the the lightest saw with the best displacement for what you will be doing so that you can be sure to hike it back out again. ;) And it's not only the hours on the saw.. it's how many cuts too with the weight.

The time may come but as of now, a single pound isn't even noticed. Boots, saws, saddles, just isn't in my decision making yet

Not a single pound?

Unless I'm understanding this wrong a 441=a 460 in weight but a 460 will rock the pants off a 441. So this equals my ehp361(read modded) kicks all their arses.:lol: My 361 I would guesstimate is equal to a 460 right up to about 22" plus wood. After that I'd take the cc's over motor work I think.

The way I am gathering this, just an assumption mind you, Sthil is going "modular" on all the saws. Baisicly the 461 will be built on the same chassis as the 441. Same as the MS290-MS390 saws. While I dissagree with this, I see where they are coming from.
I truely must say, I can't see a viable replacment for the 440 from Stihl, give me the choice, 290 vs. 390, 441 vs. 460 (or 461) I'll take the gain in power every day!

My 361 I would guesstimate is equal to a 460 right up to about 22" plus wood. After that I'd take the cc's over motor work I think.
That's pretty much what any good mod will do .Basically jump it about a cc class more or less .

Running over cants for time actually you can get them to out cut larger saws but you don't cut square cants in the woods .:)

I too have a hard time noticing the pound between 440/460s. Those who can I bet can tell when the fuel is getting low :P

This particular Hi-Power is worth about $500... First gun I carried too. Right now I favor a compact CZ-75, haven't used the HP in awhile.
Just noticed this thread.

The Hi-Power was to be a mechanical improvement over the 1911. It was the first high capacity 9mm made. Most every auto loading handgun made today borrows some of John M. Brownings Ideas used in the Hi Power.

Two things Mr. Browning did different was get rid of the swinging barrel link & bushing used in the 1911. The Hi-Power is not quite as strong as some other makes. A steady dose of +p loads might not be a good idea.
Some of the feed ramps on the earlier ones that I have seen could use a bit of work & a few chambers ran a little on the tight side. But tuned up, with proper magizines & loads they will gobble up 20.000 rounds with out much trouble.

The Browning Hi Power is hands down my favorite 9mm. I have two 9mm Hi Powers I built on 40 S&Ws. This allows the use of +p or +p+ loads. They both will shrug off the warmest loads I wish to put through them. While shooting groups tight enough that few who own a gun could duplicate shooting off hand!

Meh, cocked, locked, and ready to rock.

IMG_5620.jpg

Nice gun Carl. I love the 1911. Not a real big fan of the 45ACP. Bill Wilson & his family be good people!

Back