Stihl 440Mag vs. 460...

• Thread starter Blinky
  • Start date
  • Replies 78
  • Views 18K
I also have a small Stihl mount 32" bar but it seldom gets used .If it's normal stuff it gets wacked with a 20" and larger stuff with a large saw and a 36" which is very seldom .

In Stihl mounts I've got 24's ,28's ,they never get used for some reason .

My 660 has a 20" bar on it, and my 088KD has a 21":lol:

I have a 28" and 36" for it though I normally keep the 20" on the 660 and a 41" on the 088.

:lol: Back when I did it, I was 18ish and the 44 was the biggest saw I had.

The max length, IMO, varies with the person's expectations. Now that I don't want to sit behind a log all day getting it bucked up into pieces we can man handle, I bought some bigger saws and a mini. :D

We ran a 36 on our 460 one day. We were in a pinch, needed the 36 bar, and the 660 had some problems. It pulled it no problem through the 50"ish DBH Burr Oak.

It gets boring waiting for it to get through the wood, and expensive while looking at your help just standing around.

I agree with Carl.

It's not something you want to do if you need to make firewood pieces on a job. Having a mini enables me to cut less, and move bigger chunks. Plus I hate making firewood.

A 460 is perfect matched with the 20", in fact, if I was ever to get a 660 it would wear a 20" also. Baby tree's here.

Depends on how you look at it I suppose .An 066/660 is perfect match for a 36" running 3/8" chain .Any place other than the PNW it's about all you will ever need,with a few exceptions of course .

FWIW I have 2 primary saws that I use day in day out. MS200t and an 046. The 46 is over 10years old an still kickin. I run a 21" bar and keep a 30" in the truck for the rare occasion. Damn good saw.

I love my 46's. They wear 24" bars now, y'all have slowly converted me to the longer bars. Any longer needed and I move up in CC's.

That bar thing just depends on where you are at .Most 046's in these parts wear 24"s also . The 044's that are left are 20" runners .

I don't know how it is in other parts but the boys miss the 044's in this area and try to keep them running as long as they can .

Now of days you have a choice in the mid sized Stihls,Ms 441 or Ms 460 and most pick the later . A few pounds heavier and a whole lot more grunt,no brainer .

I thought the 441 was heavier than a 44, which would put it almost identical to a 460. Anyone, got the stats?

24" on my 460, 36" on the 660 and 2095. The smaller saws wear 18" and 20" bars....

My Big bore woods ported 046 pulls the 25" with nothing but authority. Dave and I ran side by side and I beat his new 460 just by a hair. But when I put the 32" on it is when it's happy. I can bury it in an Osage Orange and it just pulls and pulls. Yes it's slow, but nothing cuts fast in that crap!
I've seen a stock 046 with a 32" buried in Oak, I wouldn't want to run that saw all day! It was painful to watch.
For the 441 to the 460, I'd still get the 460. They SAY the 441 will pull a 28" with ease and a lot more comfortably than the 460. I want the power!
Again, 440 to 460 for what I mainly do, it's the same as 361 vs. 440, I'd take the 440. The weight is bairley noticeable and the power is.

I'll put my work chain against anybody.

That said, I run a 440 with a 32" bar and regularly dump 30" diameter trees. A 460 has more torque than a 440, but it weighs over a pound more, at the end of then day it can matter a whole bunch.

I've ran a 36" on my 460 plenty of times. If you don't have a bigger saw and you need a 36" bar, don't hesitate. That said, I run a 36" on my 660 usually and have a 42" for it. I have a 24" and a 32" on my 460s at the moment

Now of days you have a choice in the mid sized Stihls,Ms 441 or Ms 460 and most pick the later . A few pounds heavier and a whole lot more grunt,no brainer .

I have both and IMO comparing them the way you do, is like comparing, say, a Duesenberg SJ to a Dodge V10 pickup truck.
Sure the Dodge has more power, but the running caracteristics of the two are so different as to make a straight comparison impossible.

There are more to a saw than pulling power. Things such as vibrations and noise level( I know,don't try talking about noise level to someone who modifies saws!) and the new filtration system counts too.
Or at least to me they do!

Back