Starting Up/How You got Started?

• Thread starter minifly3
  • Start date
  • Replies 39
  • Views 3K
M

minifly3

I have just one more year of college remaining then I plan on starting up a tree service . I was wondering how you all got started and what equipment you would recommend for getting started? I have enough gear to climb and a Silky Zubat but beyond that I only have ideas and am looking for opinions on what is good to get and your startup stories.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mine's Colin... from Ontario, Canada.

The best way to learn how to run a tree business is to work for a successful tree business. Ours is a dangerous profession and Youtube is filled with videos of otherwise intelligent humans doing incredibly stupid and dangerous things with chainsaws and trees. I absolutely will not recommend anyone just starting up their own tree business if they don't know how to do the work yet. About 5 years experience would be a minimum before a good tree man would be qualified to start a successful tree business.

Thanks Skwerl, I am taking arboriculture in school atm. I don't know how familiar you guys are with Hydro One since your not Canadian, but basically they employee alot of students and they pay them to do the utility forester cert ect. I was planning on going to apply to work for them then try and build up my gear collection while working fulltime for hydro.

Line clearance work isn't tree work, it's line clearance work. you're not taking care of trees, you're butchering trees in order to maintain clearance from power lines. Line clearance guys are NOT tree guys, they just use chainsaws is all. If you love trees then line clearance work will break your soul.

Line clearance work isn't tree work, it's line clearance work. you're not taking care of trees, you're butchering trees in order to maintain clearance from power lines. Line clearance guys are NOT tree guys, they just use chainsaws is all. If you love trees then line clearance work will break your soul.
I could not have said that any better Brian,
well said !

I knew hydro did some questionable tree work but i assumed they still tried to follow ISA to some extent.. Up here there isn't many companies that are big enough/willing enough to take on a student to work and learn with them. Davey is the only one that comes to mind and it's sparse.

Hydro One up here does use Climbers although very rarely. Its went mostly to buckets..

Slightly Offtopic.. My Avatar isn't showing..

If you go to Davey then find a residential/commercial location. They have different locations with different crews than the line clearance locations. I worked a couple years for the local Davey r/c office in Maitland, Florida about 15 years ago.

Around Me there is Davey London & Davey Kitchener, They both are the residential / commerical locations

Keep hunting and you'll will find a good residential company. I believe you will learn more in a good small pro company. As you grow with the company you'll be able to take on more responsibility and tasks. You may learn the biz part of it a bit faster as well.

I got started as a climber when I lived in Florida working for a big outfit. We had a few disagreements over "policy" and business practices so I went on my own. I eventually moved to Indiana to be with a girl but that didn't work out so here I am doing trees in Indiana. Thinking of moving back to Florida though I hate snow.

I have to adamantly agree. You think you know but one small door has opened to you and there are a thousand more doors with much bigger rooms that you don't even know about. Probably sounds like a riddle but go work somewhere else, learn all they have to teach you and then think about another company or decide if you want to have a go.
Also, just because you get to a point where you the best tree guy in a hundred miles, you better learn something about business or you won't make it. You don't want to go into business and just have a job at 80 hours a week, you want to make money!

Hey Colin! Sean here. Welcome.

What are you learning in school? Tell us more about yourself, and you don't need to be shy. The more we know about you and your situation, the more we are able to give more applicable advice.

Hope you are getting some business classes.

I'll echo what others have said that its good to learn from successful people.

I started out my business out of necessity, sort of, as I moved to WA state to be with my girlfriend and thought that I'd be able to find more conservation work here, continuing my previous career path. As it happened, I didn't find it in our city (Olympia).

I worked for another tree service for a few months after a big storm. After I had to step away from the big chipper for fear that the three hungover guys charging in with a big top, expecting that by the time they got to the chipper that the space would be clear, would not push me in it, and, oh yeah, a guy almost cut off his thumb, I went my own way.

I started my business with limited tree climbing knowledge (lots of solid trad rock climbing experience and some decent forestry felling experience), under capitalized (aka broke/ on a shoe string), with an Astro van, MS 361, MS 192t, rock climbing gear, and $25 eBay spurs. I was trying to do it all at once, reasonably on the level (WC, GL, Commercial Auto Ins, taxes, etc). A super hard row to hoe.

I made it, but could have learned a lot more working for someone successful, building my experience, and taking on small stuff on the weekends, rather than having to pay my rent, then mortgage based entirely on what money I'd have left over from working for myself.

Some people have worked 3 or 4 days a week for another tree service while getting their own gig going, building their equipment, skills, business experience, and client base.

Its been a tough go, but I've made it, not without some considerable strain on my relationship with my girlfriend, now wife, late nights working, early mornings working, lots of coffee, lots more working, more coffee, taking home less than I should have as I needed to bid jobs where I was sure I would get them in order to make the next insurance/ rent/ payroll/ tax payment.

A year ago, as I felt like I was really hitting my stride with my business (3-4 years in), I started working for a gov't agency. That steady paycheck that covered the mortgage and bills sure was nice. Anything I made with my business was above what I 'needed'. I've been able to keep going with both for the last year. We just had a baby a few weeks back. I've been able to turn over a lot of my business to an employee who has worked for me for over a year, and 6 years before that with another tree service, who has management experience. It has been a good feeling to take some of the burden off my shoulders.

I got a ton of good knowledge from The TreeHouse and TreeBuzz. It has been a lifesaver. ISA has been a good thing, too.

You're in a good place here at the House. As you may have seen, we get off topic often times, frequently into some very good OT information, so keeping up on threads, even when they original posting may or may not be of great interest to you, will often be very, very informative.

People are very supportive and helpful to people who are respectful of others here. Hang out.

Coffee and tylenol. Anyone that has built a successful tree business and tells you it was cake, is usually full of shit, or has someone backing them that they never mentioned. Some guys have it easier then others, but its tough across the board. Atleast get a good handle on the work itself and how to do it before you strike out on your own.

Back