SRT techniques for beginners

Don't hesitate with the Holster for an HH.
I faffed around for years with cord, got a Holster last year, bees knees like Stephen says.
Tree folk here are fab. I have a collection of items that have been sent to me over the years, and A few bit of mine have gone to new homes as well. Its what we do.
You'll enjoy your HH.
Tip: when tying your hitch, over tighten it before you tie the second stopper knot. It will seem too tight, but when your weight get on it, you'll realize why. Your weight stretches everything and over tight at first leads to just right when loaded and working.
Faffed, I'm the only other non brit outside my family I've ever known to use that word and derivatives. Is it common in Taz? Or is that your other colonial roots?

I've been trying to replace the F bomb with faff and faffishness for my daughters' sake.

P.S. sorry about the faff, marm. I can't seem to be helped.

Kydex readily available on Amazon in sheets of 23 colors and a handful of different sizes. Also key is 5 different thickness. What is the optimal thickness??? I can put a micrometer on my HH holster after work. If anybody does it sooner I will thank them and not look for my stuff. Also it would be cool to post a drawings of the flattened shape.
Holstex Thermoform Sheet - (Carbon Fiber Texture) – (23 Colors) - (.060 - .080 - .093 - .125 Thickness) - (8x8, 8x12, 12x12, 12x24 Sizes) - for Holster Making & Hobby Amazon.com - https://a.co/d/h2dCbvS

Doesn't look much cheaper than buying one. Biggest benefit I see is the ability to customize the color.

Damn, all this talk about the HH and its tending thingy-ma-bob make me want to make it rain on Wesspur with some of that freshly minted cheddah (aka guap). I first need to teach my nearest ATM how to dispense money I don't have, but let's not worry about that right now. First, let's add one to my cart and channel my inner "impulse buy." The stars are aligning and my left-click mouse finger is getting itchy.

Narrator: Will Knotorious waste money on something he doesn't need (and can't afford) or will he see reason before its too late? Stay tuned to find out!

To be continued...

My Wrench came today! Got it assembled and learned how to tie the Michoacan when the VT didn't seem ideal. I'll get outside tomorrow and put some weight on it. Might be able to get up 20' in one of my scrawny Lombardys depending how my throwbagging goes. No ladders allowed!

Doesn't look much cheaper than buying one. Biggest benefit I see is the ability to customize the color.
This vendor offers the 0.125 in any color as long as it’s black! The other 22 colors are for the thinner material. Other vendors might have it. I assume you would rock the O.D.
I really like sage green (not sure if they make sage Kydex.) I agree that the price for a fully finished holster is very reasonable. For me it comes down to: how much would I enjoy building one, and would I rather be doing something else?

Last edited:
The throw ball is your best friend w SRT…. Isolate crotches for canopy tie, alpine, ring, texas tug, quickie.. you’re already used to isolating for Ddrt…. Except body thrusting changed out for a couple ascenders…. I used to base tie more when I started out, then quickly change over to canopy anchor upon arrival. Knot blocking a MACA is a good one ez transfer from base tie to canopy tie. Good luck Ryan. Ur gunna love it.

Mid line attachable canopy anchor…. Like a revolver and a pinto on dyneema…

you shoot over the whole tree, base tie get up to a suitable canopy anchor location.
just above climb line and put lift the climbline into MACA and knot block….

Treecutter Doug showed it to me.

@Burnham, the picture I posted a few pages back is my original direct from Paul HH with a holster on it, you long answer, yes.

@Kaveman, Bermuda is British, and my parents are too, so I am by birth. Dad used to say 'faffing'
Mind you Bermuda has been self governing for over 400 years, we balk at 'colonial', we just Bermudian
If you faff about too much I might get vexed and throw a gurt tantrum. lol

@Burnham, the picture I posted a few pages back is my original direct from Paul HH with a holster on it, you long answer, yes.

@Kaveman, Bermuda is British, and my parents are too, so I am by birth. Dad used to say 'faffing'
Mind you Bermuda has been self governing for over 400 years, we balk at 'colonial', we just Bermudian
If you faff about too much I might get vexed and throw a gurt tantrum. lol
Ya know, I was really tempted to post something "Murica", but instead I'll take the history lesson and go do some reading, broaden my horizons...

Well, I had to figure out how to rope climb with the gear that I had and it weren't pretty. Started with the RW setup and a foot ascender but nothing was bringing the apparatus up with me so I added the hand ascender with a "tugger" connected to the tether of the wrench and was able to sit/stand. I'm sure there's better ways to do this but I had to try something. Coming down worked fine but I noticed an obvious speed bump when a gaffed/damaged part of the rope went through the wrench which was a good reminder to work from the other end next time. All in all, a good first experience.

20231223_133443.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-23 171355.png
The video is pretty cringe so watch at your own risk.

Put everything away and roasted marshmallows with my youngest and the neighbors cat.

20231223_141835.jpg

Good first shot at a new method of ascending! You might want to consider a chestbox, lanyard, or some other method of bring the rig up with you. I have a simple one Jonny made me. It's just thin webbing that goes around my arms, and I put a little paracord "ultrasling" on it so I has adjustment options for binering it to my wrench setup, but in practice, I always use the same hole. There's a bunch of ways to do it, but the gist is keeping the wrench system pulled up tight as you ascend, without requiring an explicit action from you.

Back