Spur Pads

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wonder if Butch actually worked those Geckos today ... ?? Hmmm

Well, since I moved up three days of tree work, think I will be buying some caddys with the profits ;) Well a percentage of the profits:lol:
And some more rope, biners, loop runners, pulleys..... God it just goes on and on.. :D

I checked out Bivys Cf Geckos, It felt like a toy. I would venture to say they make the difference on a long day, moving around in a spreading tree. So thanks John, I will be spending more money cause of you.:D

MB, do you think you'll miss the caddys wit the CFG's?

Just get the Geckos!! You wont regret it!!

I wore Caddys on my Kelins for years and thought they were plenty comfortable. The gecks are WAY better.

I'm a huge fan of the caddies, and mine are mated to Bashlin Alcoas. Been on that combo for 15 years or so, climbing some long, hard days in 'em.

Don't forget there are multiple manufacturers of the caddie style and some are designed specific to the various spurs out there. Some combinations are incompatible.

Call whoever you are buying from and see what's what on that score before just ordering blind.

Have you ever worn the CF Geckos, Burnham? Enough to have an opinion?

No Butch, I haven't. I climbed a couple of mid aged Douglas firs in a set of the original Geckos, with that funny bird toe gaff. I wasn't too impressed with the gaff, but the pad and wrap seemed fine, given the short trial.

When I saw the CF model available with American style tree gaffs my interest level went way up...I'm trying to get them funded. It's my duty as a technical advisor to the USFS climbing program to test them out for suitability for FS climbers ;).

But if money is a limiting factor, I'd sure as heck tell anyone to go with Bashlins and caddies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Seems the aluminum Bashlins and the caddys are the way I am going to go... Just the fact that Butch and Burnam both have that combo... I think I am really going to love that combo and get some serious mileage out of them :) Not that my Bashlins don't have miles on them .. LOL Every one has been real helpful with the input. I can't thank everyone enough for some advise on this decision.:D

People really don't like the euc/buc pads, the ones with all that padding and felt, two straps?

That's cool, I appreciate the flexibility and movement of them.
The top of the shank will wrap around almost behind my calf,
maybe not all the way but you know what I mean.

People really don't like the euc/buc pads, the ones with all that padding and felt, two straps?

That's cool, I appreciate the flexibility and movement of them.
The top of the shank will wrap around almost behind my calf
maybe not all the way but you know what I mean.

Deva, that's a pad I used prior to the caddies, and while they were not as horrid as the T pads, they did just as you say (see my bold from your quote)...that's the thing I dislike about them. Funny how it's good for you and bad for me :).

Diff strokes for diff folks, as they say.

Back