spray rigs

sotc

Dormant hero!!
so im getting ready to start the PHC side of my business. need to take classes and get liscenced for pesticides etc. id like to see your guys setups or setups youve used in the past so i can get some idea of what i need. our main issues here are sycamore anthracnose, borers and cankers in leyland cypress, starting to get dutch elm disease, and the winter time fruit trees.
ive also thought of using my bucket truck where applicable for spraying to minimize over spray and drift issues. any thoughts on this? all suggestions welcome

Have you considered the liability you're exposing yourself to when you start that shat? I've stayed away from that part of the business for that reason.

Willie it can be a very profitable add on to your bizz.
Mr. Sir, if we are going to be worried sick about liability we might have been better off in another type of bizz.

Dont you think?

Big money to be made in the PHC game. I let my pesticide licence lapse a few years ago, but when I worked for a tree svc co it was a great break from climbing to go out and spray once in a while.

Slinging dormant oil in the springtime, safe for humans, not for bugs:D big bucks for the boss.

I would suggest a truck with a couple of different tanks so you can spray multiple chemicals in one trip. I'll check with a buddy who works for a co with several different setups for ya.

pretty much banned in every municipality and city around here. The province of Ontario banned pesticides province wide last month.

pretty much banned in every municipality and city around here. The province of Ontario banned pesticides province wide last month.

Dam Paul, dont know what to think about that.

our provincial landscape association, which I am very involved with, has been to every council meeting we have been allowed to go to asking for basically a ban on homeowners using stuff and letting licensed pros use it when necessary. So far we havent had much success.

Paul I could see them getting sued if the right outbreak were to occur.

long story but no one has been charged yet and some of the folk I have talked to say no one is enforcing their bylaws yet. They seem afraid to go to court over it, the politicians cant help but rub their hands together when they sign the deal that banned pesticides in their town, no one has the balls to say that a different system might be better than a total ban.

life goes on. I think that in a few years cooler heads will quietly recind or reduce the total bans so that intelligent professionals can use what they need to WHEN they need to rather than some dingdong homeowner using the most toxic shit they can find when they locate three aphids on their roses...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have you considered the liability you're exposing yourself to when you start that shat? I've stayed away from that part of the business for that reason.

uhhhhhhh......... maybe ill stop cabling to:/:

Slinging dormant oil in the springtime, safe for humans, not for bugs:D big bucks for the boss.

I would suggest a truck with a couple of different tanks so you can spray multiple chemicals in one trip. I'll check with a buddy who works for a co with several different setups for ya.

thats what im looking for, apprecate it greg. im thinking trailer mount or skid mount that could go truck or trailer. ut id love to see different setups and any input about different brands, models, pros and cons

Damn willie. I sold my spray rig a week ago and for cheap. Too bad I didn't know you where in the market I would have cut you a deal that would make you smile.

ahh shoot! oh well. tell me what you liked and didnt like about your set up?

Im thinking of getting something this fall before tax season ends.

Im thinking bean. 300 gal w/ piston pump, hose reel & 300' hose. mounted on a skid for trailer or truck.

If you do any sort of fertilizing w/ water soluable granules, youll want a piston pump. I also want one with an agitator bar in it.

There is a local outfit that will build me one, but they dont/cant put in the agitator bar. they claim 'you dont need one' but bull. ive used one w/out and there was granule residue in the bottom of the empty tank.

A friend of mine has a unit mounted on a trailer and put a water tank on the back of a flat bed truck so he can fill on the road. also to make small batches of certain chemicals. not a bad idea.

Sherial arborist supply has some nice set ups as well ,they can make you anything you want.check the the web site out.

i looked, no usefull info, its all been pulled i think. the other guy has a helpfull site at least

I think you'd want to stick to soluable solutions, not anything "granular" that won't dissolve.

And mechanical agitators are a thing of the past - just a bypass on the pressure regulator (small brass adjustable gismo costing around $25.00) will recirculate the chems well enough each time you release the sprayer trigger.

A 5.5hp Briggs or Honda is sufficient with a 350psi, 30gpm turbine pump to attain 45ft with the right nozzle.

150 gallons is tops for a 3/4 ton pickup, given the few 5 gallon nutrient bottles, hoses, fuel cans, tools, etc. I never expend more than 15 gallons per tree on my work - from moss eradication to worm infestations (BT) to dormant oil to nutrients. Ten trees cover more than most urban yards, .30 minutes for great coverage, and leaving a bill for $450.00 makes everyone happy - then I go next door, where they have been contacted so I never have to drive a distance for just one customer.

Okay -

So hoses, motor, pulleys, frame, straps, bypass, regulator, filter, assorted 1/2inch galvanized nipples, nozzles, 150 U
VA resistant tank, paint, pumps - most all from Tractor Supply, can run less than $1,200.

The premade rigs are expensive. Way too much for this cheap assed tree man.

Oh - the rig slides in and out - one man job, 2 minutes.

check out this site http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/menu.asp?MID=94

I had something very similar to the skid mounted low height tree sprayer. Unless you are going to dedicate a truck to spraying spend the extra dough and get the trailer mounted version ( http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=733 ) thats the only thing I disliked about mine. Still trying to decide if I actually want to stay in spraying at all, if I do I'll be getting the trailered version from rittenhouse.

Back