Splicing Book by nick?

jtrouse

Treehouser
Hey nick you still working on a splcing book or dvd? i've worked out the 16 strand and its all easy now. just wondered if this was still a thought, it'd be great to see done and theres plenty of people i know who would buy it. even just a first off draft?

I've got notes up the wazoo. I keep a tally of almost every single splice i do, tracking lessons learned and all that.

I'm not sure how to get this into book form just yet. I'm not the greatest illustrator. I'd need someone that understands splicing enough to be able to draw great illustrations.

The video is still an option, but because of the snob I am, I'd need it to be professional quality. At this point, I can't afford to have it all edited and I'm not sure enough people would buy the thing to cover my costs. Let be serious here, how many splicers to be are there really out there that'd be willing to shell out the dough to buy a book/vid like this?

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear what your saying, id say that maybe doing it with a binding machine and just printing off the pages id be happy to pay you for it since im wanting to know as much as i can about splicing i find it very interesting.

Oh i was going to order that toss book until i realised the book cost $25 but the shipping to Bonnie Scotland cost $65.... think i'll give it a miss just now.

Jamie

Lets be serious here, how many splicers to be are there really out there that'd be willing to shell out the dough to buy a book/vid like this?

love
nick

I would most likely buy it, because I know it would be meticulous ;)

As many resources on a subject you can get your hands on, the better!

jp:D

Jamie- I'd highly recommend the Toss book. It's the best splicing book out there. I've seen some splicing books out there that are just giving bad tips!

love
nick

I've got notes up the wazoo. I keep a tally of almost every single splice i do, tracking lessons learned and all that.

I'm not sure how to get this into book form just yet. I'm not the greatest illustrator. I'd need someone that understands splicing enough to be able to draw great illustrations.

The video is still an option, but because of the snob I am, I'd need it to be professional quality. At this point, I can't afford to have it all edited and I'm not sure enough people would buy the thing to cover my costs. Let be serious here, how many splicers to be are there really out there that'd be willing to shell out the dough to buy a book/vid like this?

love
nick

I would fork out the cash to buy your book Nick...

I have the riggers apprentice by Toss and its a great book, admittedly most of it is lost on me not being the nautical type. I'd love to get his splicing book but i really cant justify $65 shipping.

Someone is having a laugh with that price. is anyone stateside able to buy it and figure out a way with me to you for it and the shipping? bit of a favour to ask.

Jamie

Jamie- I'll hook you up. I think it'd still be like $20 to ship it to you, then maybe like $20 for the book. I'll look into the numbers.

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Id be keen on getting the book as well since it would cost me 65 as well to send to australia. if its possible

Hey Nick, I know that this is an old post, but I was wondering if you've given it any more thought on putting out a splicing book and dvd. I know a lot of us would still love to see it.

Nick: I don't know how to splice a three-strand! Correctly, that is. Splicing has never been a strong-suit for inbred folks. I'd buy it.

As computing moves on, more things become available; many times what used to be impossibly expensive, can even soon later be found for free!

Also, especially those taking pictures, should capture them to a container. Sometimes for others to look at, sometimes just to see your own evolution etc. This could push you forward as things take form, urge you to keep refining, fill in holes etc. Also, it is good to make and collect in a some format pattern in the long run, sizes, colors etc. that half way match up to make a book etc. will be best in the long run i think.

Page flip software has gotten very good and the price is rite (if it's free, it's fer me!).

You can have an online presence http://issuu.com/weekendwarriorphilippines/docs/life-on-a-line-1. With advertising column is free. Also, just the old school feel of a book seems to suit the topic (rope/knotting, cutting, climbing etc.) to me in it's rich history.

Presently am playing with something that also lets me add Flash .swf's : http://mytreelessons.com/ks/mz/lines_of_force.swf this is also free, gets a logo on all right hand pages over 50 pages, and you make to disc, put online etc.

Have always wanted to draw together the feel of an old knotting book, with simple secrets on parchmeant, bound in leather.

Even if eventually selling something, might gather some thoughts to form here, give teaser etc.

Nice to see some of the usual suspects still haunting these pages!

Back