spiderlift

• Thread starter TreeDr
  • Start date
  • Replies 608
  • Views 42K
Ha precisely, Dave. You have the advantage of a rotatable basket.

For the record I said that I occasionally use 2 folks, its hardly the norm and it's not slower.

On jobs that require cut and toss, like removing branches over a roof, etc., it is much faster to have a 2nd guy in the bucket.

I can also do it fine by myself also, but it is much faster with someone else to hold the branch or log while you cut. I would bet any amount of money against anybody in the world that if I had a 2nd guy in the bucket with me I would be able to remove a similar sized branch faster than a guy working by himself, if it all had to be hold, cut and toss. I am talking about a situation where you have to actually toss a piece about 15 ft. or more to clear obstacles, not just tossing something 3-5 ft. I just did a job (alone in the bucket) where I had to throw branches 20 ft. to clear targets near the tree to the drop zone. After I got high enough, I speed lined the branches.

I'd take that bet, and your money. 8)
I can one-hand 3 small pieces faster than two people can work together to cut one larger piece. But I'm also working out of a one-man bucket and can just swing the stuff around the side. Working on one of those lifts is different because the basket is so large. Another factor is that my controls are all in one pistol grip so I can maneuver the bucket with one hand. I never have to set my saw down.

I never thought about that - the difference in the actual bucket. Yet another reason for me sticking with conventional aerial lifts.

You guys would lose. Would you trust yourself to hold with one hand a 4ft. long, 6 inch dia. log? If you do, you must have huge hands and the strength of a gorilla. A guy using two hands could easily hold a 6 ft. long piece.

Skwerl,
I can easily manuver the spider's bucket with one hand and without looking. In fact, I rarely look at the controls and after almost 700 hours in the machine, I move the bucket around without even having to think about which lever to push and in which direction.

On Dave's lift, the bucket rotates so you can actually work off the small end, much like a standard bucket. I personally like the 2 man bucket. It allows me to take my small ice chest with my drinks with me. I also take a 20 gal. trash can in the bucket when doing palms. I put all the paper like fiber in it. That saves a lot of ground clean up time.

The final word is (99% of the time) two people working in a bucket is the mark of an amateur, and I'm finished discussing it. Ya'll fit three people in there if you think that's what you need.

I'm with Butch and Brian on this one. I can easily cradle a 6 foot by 6 inch log in one arm, slip the saw into the scabbard without looking, and toss it 10 or 20 feet(depending on the height). I do it all the time. I can also manipulate the 3 bucket control levers one handed without looking. That second guy is much more efficient on the ground dragging and chipping.

On a 6' long, 6" diameter log I would slide the bucket up under it, then wrap one arm over it and cut it off with the other hand. All I gotta do is balance it on the bucket.

And my bucket rotates out 90 degrees as well, so that makes it even easier to get into position. I'm not saying that you're slow with 2 men, I'm just saying that I can work just as fast or faster by myself and my setup. And I can also work a little bit closer to power lines than you when necessary.

Those spiderlifts are fantastic machines with lots of capabilities, but on a straight-up tree wreck I will flat out beat you every time. ;)

I guarantee you cut and toss with 2 buckets is even faster :P

We run 2 buckets to a crew, nice sometimes to set up close enough together, one guy hold it and throw it and the other cut it. great for cutting limbs hangin over wires.

Sometimes don't have somewhere to throw it so we will cut with one truck and "crane" with the other, whatever you can hold onto. Never rig anything off my bucket.

All this talk of wood handling makes me think you guys need some more rope.

Back