spiderlift

• Thread starter TreeDr
  • Start date
  • Replies 608
  • Views 42K
I've got plenty of rope and I'll use it if necessary, but it's often faster and more efficient to cut and throw.

Cut and toss (and I wondered why I was aching all the time) was all I ever did in the beginning. In my old age I'll rope the limbs every chance I get. I can work bigger pieces, get it done quicker, and save wear and tear on my body.

If only it were possible to get another set of hands in the basket that weren't attached to your body. That way, on the bigger stuff in this mystical world, all you would have to do is run a saw and move the lift. Oh, and since we're in the dream world and all, give the other set of hands 5+ years experience with you, so all you have to do is cut and they are already on it.

ETA: In this mythical world where anything's possible, how about extra set of arms also throws the piece straight into the back of the portable bottomless abyss that I have exclusive ownership over.

Cut and toss (and I wondered why I was aching all the time) was all I ever did in the beginning. In my old age I'll rope the limbs every chance I get. I can work bigger pieces, get it done quicker, and save wear and tear on my body.

:thumbup: Thank You

Well, I'm still a youngster so I'll cut and toss for a while yet till I get old like you'se guys. 8)

Yup as I said I find it(rigging/roping/whatever) faster on the getting the wood down and then way faster on the clean-up.

Of course if it's bombs away I won't rig or if I can even just cut and push pieces into a safe landing zone. But once you're actually cutting and tossing, if there's much there I look to the ropes.

Each situation and tree being unique of course this is all open to alot of interpretation.

Of course it depends on the situation. If I'm climbing, it's usually more productive to use rigging. But from the bucket, I find it's often more productive to cut and toss. Not always, of course, and each job will be evaluated as the situation demands. For example, today I had to take off two oak limbs over a roof. About 8" diameter and about 30 feet long. The tree was about ten feet from the house, so about 20 feet over the roof. I cut and tossed the brushy ends in 3 or 4 pieces, then chunked the rest down in 6 -8 foot pieces. Total time aloft, about 5 minutes in the bucket. It would have taken at least ten minutes to set up a lowering line, tie them off and lower them down. Then my ground guy would have had to cut them up small enough to drag to the chipper.

A mini will seriously change how the average tree company does average removals.

I'd rather have my mini before my lift, and my lift before my dump trailer.

I love rigging and will rig out a branch IF it will be more efficient. The tree I worked on last week had a branch going 20 ft. over a roof and was only 6 ft. above it. It was faster to cut and toss, especially since their was no good rigging point for it. I have worked both ways, alone and with another guy in the bucket. The times I had another guy in the bucket, it was much more efficient in that particular situation.

And Mr. Sir, how can having to cradle a log in one arm, cut it and then put your saw in the scabbard to toss it with 2 hands be faster than one guy holding the piece, I cut it and as soon as it is cut it is tossed. I can start cutting the 2nd piece while the 2nd guy just grabs it. You guys need to try working with a 2nd guy in a 2 man bucket (not all the time, only certain situations) before knocking it and assuming it is slower.

I'll second the mini before the spider lift. I would rather rig down pieces, But most of the time it is way faster to toss it, if its not huge.

I still think that extra man would be more useful on the ground rather than up in the bucket, that's all. 8)

I've had 3 people in the lift before doing tree work!

We crazy like that.

We were picking pears. ETA: I flew, my cousins picked, no way doing that solo is faster :tounge out:

You guys who are so down on two in a bucket, would you feel that way if the set-up was two buckets attached? We have a home-made arrangement that attaches to the crane boom, two drum cans actually, attached together and on a pivoting shaft. We use it when there is no drop zone. One guy usually does most of the cutting, while the other is stuffing the brush into his can. It works well. I'll have to get a photo the next time.

I dislike exceeding the rating of the bucket. If it's rated for two people, and one really thinks it's better or faster, then go for it.

Myself, I prefer to work alone aloft.

Back