Spider Legs

mccauleytree

TreeHouser
Hey guys I just got some nice new spider legs from John at Knot and Rope for a tree I have coming up in the next couple of weeks. So I was wondering what type of friction hitch you guys recommend using to attach the spider leg to your lowering line? Thanks guys

I use a Klemheist myself, instead of the traditional English prusik. I find it easier to tie and easier to slide after it's been heavily loaded. But the spliced eye has to be a little longer to tie a Klemheist with.

I've only used mine a few times and used athe Kleimheist (sp)
A 6 or 8 wrap prussik will work fine too, but with the KH you only have to pass the long end of the rope throught the bight once. Much faster to tie and untie.
Spider legs are a funny thing. I always seemed to find another way to skin the cat and few scenarios demand their use.
Cool tool to have in the bag of tricks, but like much of our gear not essential/effecient (but cool to have and use) other in a rair minority of circumstances. At least that has been my experience.
$.02

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
thanks for the suggestions so far. The tree im doing has quite a few long branches right over a garage so I thought this would be a great chance to try out some spider legs and for $40 bucks for 2 of them I really didn't think it was a bad purchase.

Been few and far between that I used a spider leg and that was just a short hank of line that'd been floating in a truck for ages. Believe I set the branch end first then threw a Blake's. Maybe i'm all backwards but it worked, just slow as molases

Same here. I bought them from Sherrill when I was first getting started, not sure that I ever used them.

I have Nick making me some, but around here, especially with all the cottages, they would be useful.

IE. a long lateral or long white pine deadwood way out over a cottage roof and only about 1-4 feet off the roof.

yeah, but it sounds cool to yell down to the groundy to send up the spider legs :)

I use balancers fairly often but i just use a straight piece of rope and tie a Blakes hitch... it's easier to put on and take off.

I'm making an adjustable balancer configured like a loopie to make the adjustment quicker.

I think an eye is more useful on the end that goes to the piece rather than the rope so a loop runner and a biner can be used for knotless tie-off. The delicate part is tying off waaay out on some dead, brittle tip so that's where I want things to happen simple and fast... runner, girth hitch, biner, done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I doubt I will get tons of use out of them but for the amount that they cost me I have no problem having them sit in my tool box until I need them. I probably could have done like most of you guys and just used a spare piece of line thought.

Back