Solo Chainsaws-Are they any good?

• Thread starter Koa Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 14
  • Views 5K
K

Koa Man

Just a quick question. Any of you have experience with Solo chainsaws? I want to know if they are good or junk.

Wesley the biggest problem with them is parts, I have a friend on the fire department who has been waiting on some starter parts for almost a year.
I have heard other complaints about this also. Dealer support is a big consideration when buying a tool.

Dealer support is the main reason I have stuck with Stihl. Dang near every saw dealer out here... whether it is mom & pop, or a big saw shop that caters to logging... carries Stihl.

Husqvarna is right up there...

I would love to buy a Dolmar 7900... but there is not a dealer one out here in my area. I have never ever seen a Solo dealer.

I don't like to have to rely on mail order for my basic parts and needs. I would rather walk in, BS with the guy behind the counter, drink a cup of coffee, and walk out with what I want.

Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I guess I won't buy one then.

Dealer support is the main reason I have stuck with Stihl. Dang near every saw dealer out here... whether it is mom & pop, or a big saw shop that caters to logging... carries Stihl.

Husqvarna is right up there...

I would love to buy a Dolmar 7900... but there is not a dealer one out here in my area. I have never ever seen a Solo dealer.

I don't like to have to rely on mail order for my basic parts and needs. I would rather walk in, BS with the guy behind the counter, drink a cup of coffee, and walk out with what I want.

Gary

There you have it... Gary is a sucker for free coffee.

There are Solo dealers here, but we have mostly hard wood also.

J/K Gary, but we don't have the trouble here you guys have.

Fred

i agree with Gary on this one.

i stick with Husky and Stihl for the same reason,dealers.

no matter where i travel,you can always find one or the other.many times you get lucky and find a dealer with both under one roof.

I own 3 Solos. They are good quality saws. I am not enamoured by "dealer support" It may take a week or 2 to get parts for my Solos and Dolmars but I have spare saws(even the Stihl dealer will have me waiting on the work so waiting on parts is kind of a moot point.) I do have a local Solo dealer-Though he only has 2-3 saws in stock.

Well I run Stihl cause it's the best, not cause of dealer support or parts availability. No enamouring here.:D

Stihl is good. Very good. Best? Well, Stihl thinks so, Squishey thinks so. I am dubious.

My dealer carried that brand this past year but had trouble getting parts from the supplier. Hurt his biz a little too. He said the only saw that was worth anything in the solo line was their 651SP saw. You couldn't give him any of the others!

Dealer support is everything but the supplier dictates that support, at least in my dealers case!

HC

Back