What Are Mtronic & Autotune?

lxskllr

Treehouser
I've been trying to find details of how these systems(mainly Stihl) work, and can't really find anything. All I'm getting are fluffy marketing type descriptions. Are there any technical papers around that describe how it works, what the sensors look like, how it goes together...?

I have a Husqy presentation I can upload later.

Change the file extension to .ppt I had to change the extension because the forum won't accept a .ppt. I'm not sure if this will work.

Attachments

• Autotune_how_does_it_work - Copy.txt
    10.6 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I was able to rename it with .ppt on my phone after downloading and it opened. If only it was that easy on a desktop, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks! It's still a little light on technical details, but that's better than anything else I've found.

The technology I trust, the programmers not so much. I have more respect for used car salesmen. Any firmware can be written to cause a fault at any given time/miles/revolution. Usually after the warranty has passed. Dodge was caught doing that several years ago with the oil pressure reading. The ECM was programmed to not let the gauge fall below 40 psi while running.

I’m surprised you could read @Nutball s tech document. It’s too technical for me to understand 😔🤣
My post should not have been too technical, though. You can see if you can open it with PowerPoint using a right click. Or if on your phone, rename the very end of the file to ".ppt" instead of ".txt". You opened it as a text document.

Originally I had to transfer the file to my phone to be able to change the extension to something the forum allows before uploading. I did the same in reverse to test that it worked.

The technology I trust, the programmers not so much. I have more respect for used car salesmen. Any firmware can be written to cause a fault at any given time/miles/revolution. Usually after the warranty has passed. Dodge was caught doing that several years ago with the oil pressure reading. The ECM was programmed to not let the gauge fall below 40 psi while running.
Creating problems for consumption/profit.

If this was done in a relationship, it would be classified as mental illness.

Yeah, even software based off switches are no guarantee. The device can look like it is off or tell you it is doing what you want while doing whatever the programmers want it to do. Good old fashioned mechanical switches and relays wouldn't lie.

How do muffler mods or other performance work with E carbs ? Do they have the range to self adjust when the muffler is opened up and the filter is changed to a high flow ?

For fun google up a service manual and check out changing the mixture control solenoid - it's the size of a peanut!

How do muffler mods or other performance work with E carbs ? Do they have the range to self adjust when the muffler is opened up and the filter is changed to a high flow ?
In my opinion it doesn't matter to the extent that as more air flows through the carb, more fuel will also be drawn by that air flow. But, mods make saws more sensitive to the weather, and the difference in performance might throw off whatever the autotune sensors are calibrated to.

@huskihl should know how they are affected by porting. I don't remember hearing about many issues other than drilling a jet to flow more, or perhaps plugging it to flow less fuel. Ideally tuning should be done under load. I'm not a fan of trying to get the ideal mixture at 14,500rpm because it may lean out at lower rpm.

Problem with saws today is not the fuel or ignitions it's the engine type.
Strato, x-torq, air pulse etc.. Different names to same thing.
This is were problem is..

Imagine a 357 with autotune!

You could see with 372 how much different it was with or without and that was one of the better x-torqs.
If they kept it as it was it would sell like crazy here.

Back