So many saddles

Butch, that new Petzl saddle is super comfortable. I'm working on getting one to try in the tree. The adjustments are nice and it fits a wide range in the medium size. I do wonder how fast the little, tiny, phillips head screw will strip out on the rings for the bridge.

It can't even be compared to the earlier , nut crushing, torture devices the sick pups called saddles in the past. Way better, in many ways lots better for some aspects of work than my Newtribe.

I've tried the Variobelt and also the new Sequoia. I think the Sequoia is much better. The bridge can be set to different lengths (or even removed and replaced with one made by Nick if you want it custom). The webbing between the belt and the leg loops was lengthened a bit on the Sequoia to keep it from crushing your nuts so bad (still not quite long enough though IMO). I hung in the Sequoia for approx 1/2 hour and did not get numb feet, whereas I did in the Variobelt. Also, you have to buy a separate add-on product called the Sidestraps to make the Variobelt into a floating d. The Sequoia comes as a floating d standard, no extra product/money required.

I'm not sure if I should mention this, but I actually work for Wesspur (although I post here for my own benefit on my own time) and have a sample from Petzl sitting right next to me. If anybody has any questions, I'd be happy to answer as best I can. The same goes for any other product.

Good feedback, Bounce. I do note though that the cost of the Sidestraps added to the Variobelt still comes in cheaper than the Sequoia...I think.

I understand there are two slightly different versions of the Sequoia, one for trad climbing and one for SRT and trad. What are the differences?

The Sequoia will sell for approx $300, compared to about $280 for the Variobelt with the Sidestraps. The reason I think the Sequoia floating bridge is better is that is doesn't interfere with the operation of the flipline d-rings. The Sidestraps actually attach to the d's, thereby reducing the space inside the d's and potentially causing problems for the flipline snap.

The only difference between the Sequoia and the Sequioa SRT is that the SRT has a steel friction buckle in the center of the back support so you can add on a chest harness (probably the Torse for use with the Croll chest ascender). Other than that, they are exactly the same.

The Sequoia will sell for approx $300, compared to about $280 for the Variobelt with the Sidestraps. The reason I think the Sequoia floating bridge is better is that is doesn't interfere with the operation of the flipline d-rings. The Sidestraps actually attach to the d's, thereby reducing the space inside the d's and potentially causing problems for the flipline snap.

The only difference between the Sequoia and the Sequioa SRT is that the SRT has a steel friction buckle in the center of the back support so you can add on a chest harness (probably the Torse for use with the Croll chest ascender). Other than that, they are exactly the same.

Again, great info.

Doesn't the SRT model have a seperate waist level attachment point, aside from the bridge?

It sure does. It's really just a slot in the webbing where the leg loops join the belt where a carabiner can be jammed in. Although I've only seen the SRT model so far, I believe the standard Sequoia also has this attachment point.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that they intended for the floating bridge to be the main attachment point, and only decided to add the fixed attachment point as an afterthought. I wouldn't recommend this unless you like a floating d.

Bounce, you info. is truly 'hot off the press'. We had the Petzl rep. here and he just had one saddle with him.

Thank you for talking about the details so clearly.

Yes. Thank you Bounce. I hope that WesSpur is as nice an outfit to work for as they are to deal with. I LOVE dealing with WesSpur.

.......I'm not sure if I should mention this, but I actually work for Wesspur (although I post here for my own benefit on my own time) and have a sample from Petzl sitting right next to me. If anybody has any questions, I'd be happy to answer as best I can. The same goes for any other product.

Nick, you gotta read the whole thread....and PAY attention. Maybe Carl can help you with "reading comprehension". :P

Heh that's cool, Wesspur is where I buy all of my arb gear from. I'm the neurotic Fisher Tree Service guy who phones and bugs you guys whenever one box shows up a day before the other one.:D

Good prices, great service, and no I'm not affiliated in anyway whatsoever.:thumbup:

Wesspur rocks!

I have a list of 4 items I am planning on getting, Sherrill Tree is $47 more expensive than Wesspur, for the exact same stuff.

I try to give all my business to Wesspur, they treat me like a person, not a number.

What is wrong with the fixed dee? Positioned odd, to where you don't hang right?

And I guess you're a large?

I'll probably rig a bridge.
Yeah, the fixed D is too high, and your weight rests on you waist more than your legs or butt. I spent 3 years climbing on it though. It's a Master, not a Master II or III, meaning it has 3 spots to tie into, not 5 or 7. The tie ins on the legs that you see on the master II are not there. The Ds are the real small ones too.
Yes, the belt is a large and I've always been between 34 and 36 waist. It fits but the buckles gotta be snugged almost completely. It would work well with suspenders probably.
If you want it it's yours. It's just been sitting in a locker in my shed for the past 3 years. Still perfectly safe, so I see no reason to toss it.

I hope the Top Croll would fit. Wouldn't that be sweet.

TS

Back