So many saddles

Brendon, Top and others with small, saddle munchable 'nads. One of the things that a lot of guys don't know(maybe you guys do) is that almost any saddle will fit the same guy differently if it is adjusted differently. Most climbers start out with a buckle-on saddle of some sort that they cinch down tightly(we don't want to fall out) Frequently loosening leg loops,adjusting their keeper straps and moving their position will create a totally different feel with a saddle compared to shortening and tightening them. Likewise where you cinch up the waist belt changes everything..........for example the Petzl Navaho squishes my innards something awful if I put the waist where I would cinch the waist on a Weaver-or even on my New Tribe. If I drop the Navaho waist belt down low on my hips it is MUCH more comfy yet still holds me more upright than any other saddle I've ever used. (I am amazed that any one truly loves the Navaho but some do). A jewelcrushing Weaver1036 changes into an almost comfortable saddle simply by loosening the leg loops and throwing slack in the keepers. The Master II seldom has caused me any pain so long as I didnt hang on the center D and left the legstraps low and loose. When I got my second NewTribe I was shocked on the first climb to find it nipping me...I slacked the loop retainers and everything went back to comfort. Really a person needs several climbs on a saddle with differing adjustments to wring it out. I fear a lot of guys never try any changes and dismiss a saddle based upon how it felt in the single mode they used it --whether once or 400 times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I got my nuts crunched MANY times during the first year I wore my master II. I was wearing it like a rock climbing harness. Tight around the waist and high and snug around the thighs.

Once I loosened the keeper straps on the back of the leg straps, it was smooth sailing.

love
nick

I wish we could have a true trial run on one. What if we just had $$ for the treehouse to buy like 6 saddles, then people could rent them out for $50 or so...just to try them each and see what they would like. That would be cool!

Freeworker and Freetree both offer trials.

Never tried it. The BflyII rocks. I have a Bfly I and II ....can't wait for the Sequoia.

I figure I got a few years left in my traverse. Next saddle on the list is the dragonfly.
Butch, I don't think you will like the master if you intend to tie in to the fixed D. I got one you can have if you want it.

I have noticed that over time the little elastic straps holding the leg straps get blown out or start slipping through the plastic keepers.
With the leather leg strap adjusters this would never happen...

shhhh don't tell, but Petzl told me the release date on the sequoia has been bumped up to maybe the end of jan. and the price has jumped to about what the treeflex is. -supposed to be confidential information-
:wall:

Yeah, I had to stitch the elastic ;)

Price bump to that of the treeflex......no thanks.....'specially not for a 1st generation saddle.

Must be tough for European manufacturers since the dollar doesn't have much value abroad these days. (just wait until inflation starts in 08 - then it will lose value here too)

Butch, I don't think you will like the master if you intend to tie in to the fixed D. I got one you can have if you want it.

What is wrong with the fixed dee? Positioned odd, to where you don't hang right?

And I guess you're a large?

I'll probably rig a bridge.

Butch, Yeah the fixed D on a Master is not unusable but for most guys it isn't particularly comfy balance wise. I use it for SRT ascents and for double crotching sometimes. Buck sizing is smaller than Weaver. You could probably wear either a large or an XL comfortably.

Too high -IMO. Of course it might feel better if I wore the waist belt lower or something but I wear it where it feels right and works great with the added bridge (or clipping into the soft attachment points). I think the idea was to stick it up where it would hold a climber upright but be out of the way of the other attachment points that an "advanced" climber would likely use. The Master III didn't even have a center D-just another soft attachment in that position.

To me the center d also seemed to high. Equivalent to hanging from your belt.

Butch- Go with a New Tribe. Although the d does move some its not much.

Cheaper too.

Most of the reason I'm looking at the Master is becuase of the good suspenders that I can get for them.

The new tribe "suspender" looks like it won't cut the cheese.

They are a little odd-

Hey I sent a pair of new tribe suspenders to you a couple years back.

Being that New tribes are custom made upon order (if you order right from new tribe) I bet they could fab any type of suspenders onto that you'd like. Its worth looking into.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
In my experience, they will gladly make what you want and the more detail you give them, the better they'll make it.

love
nick

MB, If you like the way that the weaver holds you, I would go with a new Buckingham pinnacle Saddle. Its supposed to be way comfortable, and I think it would fit your climbing style with the tautline and all. My dad used to say that he wishes he never switched from a pinnacle to a master, and he climbs with a tautline like you. Also, if you started using a split tail, then you could do that walk-thru thing with the pinnacle too, but then put the two dees together when you're working around normally.

New Tribe saddle is one of the best saddles I have owned. The BryDan is also one of the best.

Best to try out the saddles before making any kind of serious decisions

the New Tribe is indeed a beautiful thing...but it doesn't suit everyone's climbing style. I do not recall ever hearing anyone call a New Tribe uncomfortable.
I always wanted to try a Bry-dan. They seem to be somewhat less common than golden egg laying geese in areas outside of California.

I send mine to Butch for a trial run, but I dont think it'd fit him real well. :D

Hahahaha- that wasn't necessarily a jab at you. But I'm willing to bet you' re nowhere near a 30 inch waistline.

Back