Snap-On

• Thread starter JohnB
  • Start date
  • Replies 45
  • Views 6K
i rather use a junk ratchet andy, sorry i cant support you on this one:D

OK, nothing like busting you're knuckles for fun!! Or better yet, when you catch you're fingernail on something and fold it back!! Yeah, I like when that happens!!

Maybe Fred, but at least you have a chance at a getting one that works, I haven't bought a new Craftsman that was worth owning in eight years!! (the old round head, round handled one's ROCK!!)

id rather bust my knuckles than be violated by anything:)
i dont beleive ive ever had to rebuild any snap on ratchets i own

!!

I haven't bought a new Craftsman that was worth owning in eight years!! (the old round head, round handled one's ROCK!!)
Well,Sears went to hell in a hand basket.You used to just take in a broken tool and they would give you a new one.Now you get a reconditioned one.:(

About the only thing I buy there is a few sockets simpley because I can't find the size I'm looking for and don't feel like driving to my shop which is 20 miles away.Sears is only 3.

I've always thought Sear's Craftsman tools had a lifetime guarantee.
They do but instead of replacement with new they sometimes substitute rebuilt.Case in point is rachet wrenchs.

Most like Snap on , Mac,Proto,Thorson etc also have replacement but on some you must show a sales receipt.As far as Mac and Snap on,I have no idea how good the gaurantee is as I've never broken any.

A little humor.When I was in New London Conn,in the navy,I worked part time at Sears as a mechanic.Most of the other wrench turners bought from the Snap-On truck and we got 10 percent off on anything at Sears by being employees.

I quit buying Craftsman when I took back a busted 1/2" ratchet and got a rebuild kit... not a rebuilt wrench, just a baggy with a spring, a clip, a pawl and some other little pieces.

I've always preferred any brand that's warranted for life.

With Snap-On, you're also almost always buying a tool REALLY made in USA. In fact, their air tools are cast, polished, machined, and assembled right here in Massachusetts. (Casting in Palmer, polished in Brookfield, machining and assembly in Natick).

I've had good luck with Craftsman stuff for the most part, but the nearest Sears is a ways off. Neither has ever given me a rough time about replacing tools, even when OBVIOUSLY misused and abused.

Good point, it's very hard to find anything made in the US, or owned by American companies.

If I was wrenching for a living, then I would mostly have snap on - a bit like buying Stihl / Husky chansaws, and $250 chainsaw pants - if its your living, you get the best.

As it is, a lot of my stuff is Kamasa or Teng, both of which are quality brands.
I also buy loads of cheapo sockets and spanners, as when your working under a forestry machine in the woods, you tend to loose stuff...

Totally with Al though, mostly I use air wrenches. I've found Ingersoll Rand titanium to be better than snap on in that department.

Good point, it's very hard to find anything made in the US, or owned by American companies.
Some years ago I bought a Klien hawkbill skinning knife.On one side of the blade it said "Klien tools Chicago Ill" on the opposite side it said made in Japan.Isn't that some thing ?

Totally with Al though, mostly I use air wrenches. I've found Ingersoll Rand titanium to be better than snap on in that department.
Well,it might surprise you but I have a Thor impact wrench.Older that the hills,1" drive.The compresser never shuts off when that big rock shacker runs.It doesn't get much use as it must weigh about 40 lbs.

I have a big 3/4 drive impact gun, but damned if my compressor will run it. I need a BIGGER compressor. maybe if I poked the airline up Andy's backside?

We have an inch and a half inch drive air ratchet at work. you can really get the clutch covers on a 200 good and tight.

We have a variety of stuff at work. if i need any i normally borrow from work and return but i'm slowly building a collection. i just dont do a lot of tinkering

Jamie

I have a big 3/4 drive impact gun, but damned if my compressor will run it. I need a BIGGER compressor. maybe if I poked the airline up Andy's backside?
you sure???? you need 1/2 air---and the proper connectors for it---as that thing consumes air---been there with mine---even though compressor not huge--you need air VOLUMNE--and pressure also---

We have an inch and a half inch drive air ratchet at work. you can really get the clutch covers on a 200 good and tight.

Jamie

I pity your poor ms200s. Take it easy on that torque, will ya?

Had bicycle shops back in the early '70s and all ten mechanics' workstations had metric and standard sockets, wrenches, and other hand tools that were all Craftsman. Bought enough that the local Sears just handed us direct replacements. When a socket wrench went south they'd often hand us a new one and a package with the internals, so we could effect a repair without another trip in. I also acquired a lot of Snap-On after a friends father died and he dispersed his auto repair shop. Now when a Snap-On item fails we toss it in the truck and I just stop at whichever shop the Snap-On truck is at when I see him, and pull out the items from the glove box of the truck. They'll repair rather than replace typically.

Back