snap cut

OK, thanks for the preciseness.

I have a hard time to trust the "vertical bar" snap cut, so I seldom use it. Only a matter of training, I bet.
In my mind, if I suck on my cut and the remaining wood brakes, then there is nothing to keep the piece in place ( on a horizontal or a heavy leaning axis). With a "horizontal bar" snap cut, it will break, but the cut's bottom holds the butt just by itself and only one hand can avoid the piece falling (around firewood size).

I was taught to sometimes deliberately do the snap cut backwards, so the piece settles on the bar and the bar in the kerf holds it till you can get a hand on it and pop it off.
obviously only works for small bits, I use it a fair bit and I know some people watching think I don't know what I'm doing getting the bar stuck like that!

As a tangent, if you want to use two hands on the saw, if your are doing a 3 point pruning cut over an important object, and can't let the final butt piece drop, you can do your snap cut a saw width away from the collar, then do your final pruning cut with the bar vertically, powerhead at the bottom. As you are coming through the cut, you can reach up with a finger from the side handle and pin the last piece of wood against the bar, resting on the front of the powerhead. When your chain stops, you can grab the piece of wood and chuck it clear.

Yeah! Sometimes I rotate the powerhead at the end of the cut and catch/rest the final piece on the front, then flick it clear, keeping both hands on the saw all the time...looks really cool when you get it just right...

oooh sorry if I sound a bit 'Murphyesque'

Back