Smokie the...cat...another rescue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually you could most likely lower the cat with it but that might alarm the feline fanciers .:|:

Hahaha, knew I could count on you to lighten it up...you and Burnham...canned tuna...HAH! My first rockclimbing experiences (1969) we used around the waist bowlines when we climbed...no harnesses those days...taking a fall was not comfy. We eventually progressed up to tied swiss seats which helped some.

Dark...as we say in Georgia..."look-a-heah!"

http://www.catinatreerescue.com/home/index.cfm

You can sign up and folks call you...I've had at least 3 calls from this site.

2 calls here.....one took the whip and lived, the other downclimbed when he saw me comin'

nice work Gary, what a cat rescue goin for in GA?

The duffle bag thing sounds good. I've been using pillowcases and do pretty much the same thing, scruff the kitty with the reversed bag over my hand and then un-reverse it... bagged cattycat. I tie it off with a piece of zing-it and clip that to my harness... and I use a clove hitch.

People don't get that it's a perfect knot... when it's applied the right way. I'm not trying to sell the clove hitch, use whatever suits you but I've tied thousands at this point and never had one roll out... knock on wood.
The clove hitch is NOT good for large diameter or slippery stuff without a half hitch, a bowline works much better. But you want to hitch a rope to a carabiner? Bomber... 100% bomber. When I tie-in with a tradition rope bridge and a Blakes I use a clove hitch. I've used them for life support lots of times both on rock and in trees. Climbing ice is the perfect application... say you have a screw that's too long, clove hitch it on the shank right against the ice. It's fast and secure which is good when your legs are doing the sewing machine thing.

I thought it was weird when I heard people using clove hitches for rigging wood... bad application, clove hitches are best when they hitch to something close in size to the rope diameter. They're so good in that situation an extra half hitch will actually compromise the knot by keeping it from setting.

But hey, I honestly don't want to debate clove hitches... seriously... I'm about debated out for a while. Use what you want, malign the clove hitch all you want. I just wanted to express my undying love of this utterly simple, super strong, super cool knot... it's my absolute top favorite knot of all time because it's just... elegant.

In the news today, a cat jumped from a 9th story balcony and lived! :O

Whoa... 90', minimally responsive after the fact... $4000 vet bill!!!!

There is a book, I don't know if it addresses cats but it's about psychological animal studies and why some animals exhibit perseverative, repetitive behavior similar to autism. It's widespread in the livestock business, zoos too. Big cats and bears pacing all day is an example. The book is called Animals Make Us Human and I can't remember the author but I heard her talk. She said that lots of cats simply can't... back-up. They can't go backwards, it's in their wiring somewhere. Now that kind of reading isn't up my alley because there's no shooting or explosions or kinky girls but what she said made sense. No reverse gear, no climby downy.

Hella knot, Al.

masthead.jpg

Cat story:
A wild cat came into my shop once, probably chasing my kitty, and lodged himself up high between some duct work and slabs of wood. He was still up there when I wanted to head home at night, so instead of leaving him to his own devices and also leaving the door open, I put on a thick pair of rubber gloves and climbed up to grab him. The result was a nasty puncture wound in one of my fingers. Awesome attack! It wasn't a domesticated cat, but a wild one passing through the neighborhood that had been kicking the asses of the pets. He sure made me look like a fool, and welding gloves are essential, I learned.

Cat story:
A wild cat came into my shop once, and lodged himself up high between some duct work and slabs of wood. He was still up there when I wanted to head home at night, so instead of leaving him to his own devices and also leaving the door open, I put on a thick pair of rubber gloves and climbed up to grab him. The result was a nasty puncture wound in one of my fingers. Awesome attack! It wasn't a domesticated cat, but a wild one passing through the neighborhood that had been kicking the asses of the pets. Welding gloves are essential I learned.

A full on cat bite is serious. Infection is practically guaranteed even with treatment and antibiotics. I seen a severely dis-figured hand caused by infection resulting from a deep cat bite. Cat's mouths are NASTY!

nice work Gary, what a cat rescue goin for in GA?

I quoted $150 for this rescue...they said, "come on"...the guy tipped my $38 on top of the $150. I think already having been 45 feet up in the deer stand and trying to pull the tree to him made him appreciate what was involved in getting over to the cat.

It took 30 min. prep, 30 min. to drive there, 2 hrs on site and 30 min. to drive home...3.5 hrs total. That's about $54 per hr.

I charge $150 and have been tipped $25 to $50 a few times.

For some folks that's absurdly expensive but most don't hesitate. Last June and July I paid rent and insurance with nothing but cat rescues.

ER copay is usually over $400, sometimes a lot more. $150 is cheap compared to a fall from a ladder... with a biting, screeching, scratching, squirrelly feline.

I like to greet the cat owners by walking briskly past them with a chainsaw and saying something like, "Don't worry, I'll have'em down here in a jiffy!".

Blinky,

I did take a chainsaw "just in case"...I'm not sure what "in case" is, though. I figured if the owner had some limbs that needed downing I might get asked to do that.

Have you ever had to use a chainsaw in a rescue?

I like to greet the cat owners by walking briskly past them with a chainsaw and saying something like, "Don't worry, I'll have'em down here in a jiffy!".
I still maintain you can train cat to recognize the sound of a running chainsaw .Cats ,although somewhat untrainable are smarter than you think .:|:

150 here too....but I wont drop what I'm doin if its a better paying job. The cat can wait. Both times I have quoted a price they got sticker shock:lol:.....but they both called back in bout an hour.:D

The cat can wait.
This could be good .It gives the cat some time to think about the errors of his ways . Perhaps through supplication and devotion to duty the cat can turn his life around and not be such a monumental pain in somebody's ass by getting stuck in a tree .

I always have a chainsaw. Never used one to get a cat down though. I did spike a live pine a while back because there was no way to get a line in the tree... without killing the cat.

I don't drop what I'm doing either, but I generally insert it in the schedule as soon as I done. I wish I actually had a schedule to insert one into right now.

Here you go, just saw this on TreeBuzz...

http://www.morningsun.net/weird_news/x2094358951/Would-be-cat-rescuer-gets-stuck-up-a-tree

Camden County, Mo. — A Missouri man who went up a tree to rescue a cat found himself in need of help.

The Mid-County Fire Protection District was called to a home Friday morning when a resident called to report that someone had gotten stuck in a tree after attempting to rescue the family pet.

It is unknown what caused the gray tabby to scale the tree, but once it did, it would not come back down. When attempts to coerce the cat failed, the man used a ladder to get up in the tree.

Since the ladder was too short, he climbed the tree to grab the cat, but the feline climbed even higher. The man was afraid to get back down, so the family called for help.

Firefighters responded with a ladder truck and within minutes, the man was brought to safety.

Mid-County Fire Chief Scott Frandsen said that while the district does not typically use equipment to rescue animals, since they were already on the scene, they raised the bucket up and rescued the cat. The cat was cooperative, and no injuries were reported.

I'm telling you ,if I were a younger man I would take a sabbatical leave for a few years .

I'd tour country educating cats .Fat ones ,skinny ones .Rich cats ,poor cats ,cats from all walks of life .

Here's the plan .Climb right up passed the stupid thing with a noisy chain saw .It wouldn't even have to have a bar and chain .Blast that thing at them and I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that even as stupid as they are that SOB would climb down that tree .:lol: Quickly too .

Only cat I've rescued is my own, from the damn power pole to boot. He atleast learned though, never has he done it again.

A few years back ole Gunth(my last dog) chased my neighbors cat up the power pole in my yard, that sucker promptly fell right back out and hit the ground running, probably 25' up when he bailed.

Back