Skinny trees.

There's more than one way to wrap a flip line.

360 degrees...goes from your right D around the right side of the tree, continues around to come back towards you on the left side of the tree, continues left to right in front of you to go on around the tree from right to left again, the back to your left side D. This is super secure, but sucks the hairy moose lips to move up or down the tree.

270 degrees is easier by far to flip up or down, and just as secure imo...from your right side D, goes to the left in front of you, then on around the back of the tree from left to right, on back across in front of you from right to left, to attach at your left D.

What about climb line above me choked, flip line normal, and hike to it and repeat?
Anyone do that, or is it always the wrap in lanyard?

Yeah, I do that all the time. It works real well with a choked SRT system. Just take your time and make sure your spurs are set and stable before flipping the SRT line to a higher spot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok Burnham, so the 270 would almost make like a x right infront of you? I think I got it...

Thanks, Dmc, I use that on skinny trees when I need my balance especially.
I kinda like Burnhams 270 method, I guess on the 270 method I still keep kinda close to tree if its skinny and proceed as normal? I think I got it old friend.... :D
I wish u had a pic Burnham that would b worth a million. :)

..yup that's it X marks the spot for the 270.

I call B's 360 a 540...Like Merle said, just lean forward, grab the doubled portion on each side wiggle it until you have sufficient slack, then flip up. It only really works well with a wire core, rope lanyard is too floppy and grabs on the bark.

High climb line up top is way easier, flip, step 1,2,3, set, pull slack out of climb line...repeat

Yes ma'am, I hate setting a line, well cause honestly I can be in the branches setting up, while one is playing with a ball n string. Just from my experience thats the way I have seen it.
Im going to try the x tomorrow and the 360. See which one I like best. But I think 270 is going to b my answer on smaller diameter trees.

Lol. All u have ever said is , thumbs up the rest comes naturally. Lol

Gotcha back Burnham ;)

I 540 all the coconuts I climb with spikes, just feels more stable than the X wrap
I gaffed out once on a casuarina with just the regular wrap, luckily only about 8' up, it was one way to the bottom no stopping with grazed arms when I got there...owch

I did like Carl once, but no one was watching so I didn't need any earplugs... just some Neosporin.

Dull gaffs were the culprits.

Also as Fi so correctly notes, cable core is the absolute best for these wrap methods...really the best for any flipline as far as I'm concerned, at least until you get into the 6+ foot diameter range. Once you start needing to western roll 25 or more feet of flipline, rope is better.

The 270 wrap works great and is easier to ascend than the 360. The 360 will lock off quicker in a gaff out though. It's been so long since I've gaffed out if probably end up walking to the truck like lumberjack said.
The overhead tie in is preferred though. With that if its got me tight to the trunk, I'll just hook up my HUT and walk on up.
Just realized your talking about tall skinnies. I'll do the same with the overhead but will lanyard in on the way up to avoid sway if I slip

I don't gaff out offten , mostly one or the other never both. Im just trying to get some techniques in the bag for small trees.

Old school here...if I'm on gaffs and flipline, no way am I going to bother with setting a climb line...waste of my time, and simply put, I'm a better spur climber than that :D.

Also as Fi so correctly notes, cable core is the absolute best for these wrap methods...really the best for any flipline as far as I'm concerned, at least until you get into the 6+ foot diameter range. Once you start needing to western roll 25 or more feet of flipline, rope is better.

That would suck. I don't know what it is but I prefer rope lanyards.

Old school here...if I'm on gaffs and flipline, no way am I going to bother with setting a climb line...waste of my time, and simply put, I'm a better spur climber than that :D.

This is why I always ask about flipline techniques and gaff out recovery. For me im not going to put a climb line in first unless its a big sprawling oak.

Back