Sherrill's new line launcher kit

If your wanting one of those some reels without the launcher, they seem to be the same as my bow fishing reel and those only run about $40

I have experimented with those reels a little bit, but with 1.75 zing it, I kept getting snarls. Even after I tried using a bigger jug, so the line wasn't so bunched up. Maybe the line that is in that sherrill contraption, is all I need. Does anybody know what it is? I don't see it on either of their websites.

I was using one of those back in the early 80s to set lines in the old growth. Though I put a spin reel on the launcher. With 20 pound test it was good for a little over 200 feet. Still shy of a lot of trees I wanted to set ropes in.

Nonetheless it worked great in the trees it could reach. I used the thing for over twenty 20 years. When the Big shot came out I put a spin reel on it and achieved the same reach without the bang. I covered all that in the Working Climber Series Video 1. If any of you recall.

I didn't recall. I better go back and look.

Shooting the Bigshot into some 'baby' Redwoods today it occured to me that one thing I wouldn't like about that line launcher is shooting near powerlines .

(Holding the spool instead of disconnected from it.)

Sometimes I get a job around back uphill of the house with no shot from the backyard. Take my Big shot , poles , saw head , and chainsaw into the woods. Object is to clear out base and easy lower limbs for shooting a tag. Many times this turns into a frustrating chore. Big shot is much better on lawns and manicured woods than real unmanaged second growth. Mebbee the 22 will help me blast through the lower canopy to my tie in.....

Nah Dave you just need more practice:p

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

Back