Shackles?

NorthWoodsDiver

TreeHouser
I'm trying to find a source for a shackle that could replace my hip lanyard attachment point, or sit next to the existing ring. Most that could handle 1.5-2" webbing on the pin are so oversized in material diameter that they are impractical.

I don't climb for a living, this is just on a personal hobby harness (Petzl Sequoia SRT).

Basically 1'm trying to make a direct connection point for my hitch and pulley instead of clipping a carabiner onto the existing ring. Would clean up the assembly a bit and improve the angle.

So far I looked at Mcmaster Carr and the usual climbing gear sites. Ideas?

The twist shackles work best with mechanical lanyard adjusters as they turn the connection 90 degrees. Look at the direction you want whatever hardware you are connecting to face and decide if the twist works for your application. If it doesnt then there are plenty of other options.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tried quick links and didn't care for the installation process and the spliced eyes bound up on the micro pulley. It's certainly an option if I don't find anything else.

Suncore makes a "webbing shackle" that would be perfect but it's only for 1" webbing. They also offer a "Wide D shackle" which is really close but not wide enough. The breaking strengths are in the right range too.

With all the 2" webbing products out there I'm surprised there isn't something ready made and available. Of couse the people using 2" webbing are usually lifting very heavy things, in excess of what this item would handle due to shape.

Not exactly sure what would fill your requirement but ... 'google' parachute hardware ... bound to find something that'll work :)

Maybe if y'all are lucky Ill tell you about the time the pin on that twisted clevis came entirely unscrewed on me as I leaned back onto my lanyard to tie in at 50'.

Northwoods- I can't quite picture what you're looking for. Draw us a diagram! Someone knows where to find what you need, I'm sure.

love
nick

I decided to draw up something in Solidworks. Unfortunately I don't have access to a machine shop anymore so I couldn't fabricate them but this concept would be the best solution I have some up with so far:

Exploded.jpg Hip D-Ring.png

This type of hardware would allow you to semi permanently attach your lanyard adjuster/pulley/eye-eye/etc to your hip w/o any other snaps or hardware. It would totally replace the hip ring of your choice and would eliminate the need to cut/sew any webbing for installation.

Oh. That's easy. You either wanna tie or splice the hitch cord directly to the dee. Then toy with using no pulley- just run the tail of the lanyard through the dee and use the dee as the slack tender. If you don't like that, you get a CMI micro pulley and cut grooves in it.

I can post a pic later.

love
nick

True enough, I could easily splice Tenex directly to the "D". Never thought of that. Since the pulley is only slack tending I could alter it but I'm not sure I would want to. I will need to investigate this option more though. Pics are always welcome. :-)

At first I "locked" it shut by slipping small heat shrink tubing over the gap and sealing it shut. Eventually I quit using the tubing. Pulley never fell off.

love
nick

Back