Homemade cambium saver materials

combrig

TreeHouser
Hello!

I've decided to make custom-length cambium saver. On our market there are only Petzl and Singing Rock products, which are good, but I need a little longer saver. Especially when I make an additional wrap to prevent slippage on the stem or branch.

So, I've have 3 opportunities for the ends - steel rings, aluminum rings and carabiners. I've seen the carabiner option for the first time when I was in Germany and really liked it, especially for redirects. And the good thing is, that you can add or remove the carabiner whenever you want. The same goes for the line that you redirect. The retrieval is OK with that saver, so I will go for a couple of those probably...

But the main point of this thread is focused on the webbing. Petzl's "Treesbee" cambium saver is manufactured from 25 mm (0.984 inches) flat webbing. The same goes for the KONG friction saver. Unfortunately my local webbing suppliers don't have 25 mm flat webbing, all they have is 18 mm (0,708 inches) and 40 mm (1,57 inches) flat, and 16 (0,62 inches) and 26 (1 inch) mm tubular webbing.

So, I really need your help here. My logic goes like this - the tubular webbing is softer than the flat one and if used, the whole 2-layered saver will be softer and more flexible. That will result in more surface of the saver contacting with the bark, and when we have large limbs and wrapped saver, the retrieval could be bothersome... On the other side - the slippage will be reduced to minimum. But the tubular webbing is prone to picking and stuff...

The flat webbing, on the other side, is the material of choice for the manufacturers that I know. KONG, Petzl, Buckingham, etc., use it, but they prefer 25 mm width. In some product info I've seen, that they claim, that additional width prevents twisting and there is some logic in that. But when it comes to tensile strength, the 18 mm webbing is better than 26 mm.
If we try to look at the loads, that the webbing distribute on the connector (ring, carabiner), then the narrower the webbing - the better. The load will be concentrated as close to the spine of the carabiner as possible. This will result in mostly tensile forces and will reduce the bending forces to minimum.

So I am a little confused here and I really need your help:
- Tubular or flat webbing?
- Is 18 mm flat webbing good enough?

I will appreciate any additional info on the topic!

And just a word for everyone, that think that using software, that is not certified for life support, is NOT okay - guys, you are right. I am totally agree with that. But I've made my mind on that one. I will make tensile strength test on the product and if the breaking loads are good enough, I will proceed with using it.
Thank you if you are concerned though. The personal safety is the most important thing!!!

Not to throw a kink in your plan, but have you considered 3-strand for your saver? I've made several, and really like them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was looking into that, but the problem is, that I can't splice, even a 3-strand... :( That's something that I will learn, eventually, but for now I am stuck with the sewing...

Your savers are looking pretty nice, though :)

My buddy has made some out of tubular webbing with no issues aside from getting fuzzy after a few months of use, but at $.25 a foot he can make several for the cost of one from the big names.

I remember people taking issue with webbing being susceptible to being cut by throwlines. Splicing one out of tenex is even easier than three strand and a few coats of a clear lacquer will help prevent picking.

Multiple layers of webbing and tighter ring/loop attachment points would avoid the scenario in the video...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, there are so many options, that maybe I have to reconsider sewing... And reading your posts here, I'm starting to think that going for 18 mm webbing is not a problem. Well, with a price of 1,5 USD per meter it will worth the try - sewing, tests and whatever.
I will go for 18 mm flat webbing for my homemade saver (for now). And I will post the pictures and videos with the result on Tuesday probably.

It's not a ring and ring, but the leather ones work pretty well, once polished by a rope, compared to nothing. Works for some rigging, too.

Doesn't sound like what you're wanting, but a cobbler might sew it, and it's not life supporting.

My full time job is in the electrical industry, flexible conduit has different quality levels, some conduit are loosely wrapped with the formed metal strips, and can easily come apart, and leave sharp edges to fray or wore cut rope.

Back