Sequoia Climb

• Thread starter Frans
  • Start date
  • Replies 40
  • Views 5K
F

Frans

Here are a few pix. I will post more later, just got back. This tree was a real challenge for me and for everyone.

These are the LARGEST trees in the world. Meaning that they have the most wood of any other tree on the planet. Branches 5+ feet thick. With bark slick as oiled ice.

A couple of these pix are screen shots, please forgive the blurriness.

Hope this is the right place to post them.

Frans

Attachments

• IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0716.JPG
    IMG_0716.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 150
  • IMGA0036.JPG
    IMGA0036.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 149
  • SequoiaGigantia.JPEG
    SequoiaGigantia.JPEG
    189.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Another, thats all for now. Gotta run and eat, sleep, etc.

Attachments

• sequoiaGigantia2.JPEG
    sequoiaGigantia2.JPEG
    213.3 KB · Views: 10
I am on the lap top now, my wife commondeered the big computer. So no more for tonight.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

A bit of news; Montgomery Woods is burning. That is the home of Iron John. See Gerry's videos for some info on these trees. They are home to the tallest trees in the world. I think Google has some info. on the burning.
Gerry said not to worry because it is fairly clear at the base, but if the fire crowns, well somthing to worry about.
I am going up there as soon as they open the road.

I am on the lap top now, my wife commondeered the big computer. So no more for tonight.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

A bit of news; Montgomery Woods is burning. That is the home of Iron John. See Gerry's videos for some info on these trees. They are home to the tallest trees in the world. I think Google has some info. on the burning.
Gerry said not to worry because it is fairly clear at the base, but if the fire crowns, well somthing to worry about.
I am going up there as soon as they open the road.

:\: It would be a sad, sad day if those trees were killed in a fire. :(

Fire is good for redwoods.

common misconception. The bark is fire resistant. All wood burns, even ebony.

If the crowns burn, the tree dies.

If you are saying that fire is good for forest stands, I agree. Clearing out built up fuel is always good. Some species need fire to spread their seeds as the cone explodes.

Nice new avatar Frans! That tree is begging to be climbed. :big-jump:

I and Greg Liu climbed that last year. Gerry couldn't cause he was running interference.

I hope to go again later this summer. Trying to drag Greg Good along this time.

Ooh, ooh! I might be available that day ;)

I even have me a little sequoia experience

CIMG0222.JPG

love
nick

Attachments

• CIMG0194.JPG
    CIMG0194.JPG
    753.3 KB · Views: 7

Some species need fire to spread their seeds as the cone explodes.
Lodgepole pine if I remember correctly is one of them .

Big trees for sure .I personally wouldn't have a clue how to get to the top except maybe Doug and his helocopter .

To all of you who are peeing your pants wanting to climb the world's tallest and biggest trees,
Go for it, you only live once and wont regret it.

I have gotten wiser about who to take. One bad apple can ruin a trip, thats for sure.
Also small groups of no more than 3-4 max. Any bigger and it all gets messed up and crowded.

Next trip I really hope to climb with Greg Good and Gerry B. But thats about the extent of my thinking right now.

All I really know is it is a blast to do. Experience a true wonder of the world.

Back