seek opinions on slings w fat rings for lowering

Altissimus

TreeHouser
....look pretty good in August's vids. Easy to install and remove by the looks. I generally run blocks. Wonder about advantages vs. costs. Looked like 3 / 4 " Tenex with eyes and rings. Thanks In Advance.

you're also getting a nice amount of friction in the system , i'm yet to try them but i often natural crotch skinny anchor points or use natural redirects to take a bit of force off the main anchor. those rings are pretty tough from what I have seen and heard..... not to mention light. if you can splice hollow braid then i think you will be saving a lot of money in buying some rings new as opposed to a new block and sling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
x rings Mick , yes ... I ignored them when they first came out in the catalogs. Guess I ignored the threads too. I tend to hate anything new at first. (Mental Problems) .... Watched August rig the bad Cottonwood. Now thinking about this new thing positive.

As long as your ropes are clean, or mostly clean, they are great. If you work in dirty/sandy/muddy conditions stick to blocks, as the rings can't handle the grit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...I have a decent collection of Blocks , enough to never compromise on line angle or friction ... like some one posted a video awhile back running load over shackles for re direct and MA

Reg started a thread on them just a month or so ago.

As long as your ropes are clean, or mostly clean, they are great. If you work in dirty/sandy/muddy conditions stick to blocks, as the rings can't handle the grit.

This, in spades...agreed.

I just can't get happy with the idea of them, which is not a defensibly good reason, really. More defensibly, I really prefer blocks, because much of the time my rigging ropes have been somewhat dirty, due to constant pitch exposure and subsequent attracted grit and whatnot.

Sure are slick to deploy, lightweight...cannot argue that.

No-one says you can only have one or the other.
We use both.
So far we still bring out the blocks when we go heavy, and use the rings for ease of set-up.
Those linden we repollarded last month, it was just sooo nice to be able to simply fall the last skinny tops that had been used as rigging point with the rings still in it.
That is not something I do to my blocks.

I lik'em! My favorite use is to direct rigging lines, I don't work with any trained help on the ground so they won't be spotting me if a running rigging rope is going to cross me or climb lines when loaded up. Worth the piece of mind, IMHO. They were a great gap filler before I was able to purchase rigging blocks.

Back